Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65nm chips in production, 45nm chips coming soon (360)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default 65nm chips in production, 45nm chips coming soon (360)

Excellent news for people on the shelf about buying a 360!!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/01/65...45nm-on-the-w/

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I fall into the "extreamly paranoid" group I'll wait for the 45's. I'll also wait and give 'em a good amount of time to be sure The Ring has been destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. Way to go hobbits... err... I mean MS. Good news indeed.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I wonder if there will be any way to tell the difference between the old hot chips and the 65nm chip 360's? I would imagine there would be a model number change similar to what Sony did with the numerous 1st generation PS1 and PS2 revisions (ex. SCPH-1000 vs. SCPH-3000). Otherwise I would think the RROD 360's will still be in retail channels until well after Christmas '07.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 08-01-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

So hopefully by the time mine breaks I'll have one of these. Awesome.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whew. Glad I'm waiting....though those cheap core units coming up are extremely tempting, if the rumors be true (come on, 3 separate ads?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Since I fall into the "extreamly paranoid" group I'll wait for the 45's. I'll also wait and give 'em a good amount of time to be sure The Ring has been destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. Way to go hobbits... err... I mean MS. Good news indeed.
    This is what I dont understand. The warranty is 3 years now. So even if you buy the console now, when it dies in a few months to a year you can just get yourself the one with the 65 or 45 NM chips. Why wait go ahead and buy the console you cant loose anymore when buying a 360!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    This is what I dont understand. The warranty is 3 years now. So even if you buy the console now, when it dies in a few months to a year you can just get yourself the one with the 65 or 45 NM chips. Why wait go ahead and buy the console you cant loose anymore when buying a 360!
    Becuase all MS will do is keep the same components currently in your 360.

So if your 90nm craps out, they'll replace it with another 90nm chip. Even well after the 45nm chips are out.

changing chips means a (hopefully) improved mobo, as well. The new chips probably wont be compatible with the current/older mobo's. But it would be great news if they are...

Infact, I'll still bet they're probably just gonna re-design the 360 when the 45nm's are close to coming out. Make it a little smaller, and hopefully replace the DVD9 drive with the HD-DVD drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    hopefully replace the DVD9 drive with the HD-DVD drive.
    that will never happen

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if your 90nm craps out, they'll replace it with another 90nm chip. Even well after the 45nm chips are out.

changing chips means a (hopefully) improved mobo, as well. The new chips probably wont be compatible with the current/older mobo's. But it would be great news if they are...

Infact, I'll still bet they're probably just gonna re-design the 360 when the 45nm's are close to coming out. Make it a little smaller, and hopefully replace the DVD9 drive with the HD-DVD drive.
    Not correct! They would not replace the xbox 360 with another 90NM If they would do that it would defeat the purpose of making the65/45 in the first place!!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Not correct! They would not replace the xbox 360 with another 90NM If they would do that it would defeat the purpose of making the65/45 in the first place!!?
    It all comes down to money.

Just like the PC market, chips get cheaper over time. It would be cheaper for MS to replace the 90nm chips than throw out the chips and mobo, and replace all the hardware.

But this is only for people who currently have the 90nm chips. The people that buy the new chips will get replaced with the new ones, should they need them.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Nice to hear that this new chips are moving along. once theres confirmation on the reliabilty of the newer model 360s i think i'd finally buy one.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because exchanging consoles is a giant pain in the ass and it sucks to be without your console for 2+ weeks. Especially when Microsoft is just as likely to send you back another 90nm unit.

1), It's impractical to remove the CPU of a 360, even with the soldering skills of a god.

2), The 65mn chip will be physically smaller then the current design, so it wouldn't fit anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All this mess makes me happy that I've waited on picking up an Xbox 360.

I'll get one when all the problems have been sorted out, and the lemons are no longer on the retail shelf.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Umm...how are those two things related? The new 360s will have new motherboards to house the smaller chips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Because exchanging consoles is a giant pain in the ass and it sucks to be without your console for 2+ weeks. Especially when Microsoft is just as likely to send you back another 90nm unit.

1), It's impractical to remove the CPU of a 360, even with the soldering skills of a god.

2), The 65mn chip will be physically smaller then the current design, so it wouldn't fit anyway.
    Now lets think logicly here? Lets go out in a year and a half and buy a solid 360 or we can go out now and buy one and risk it going in for 2 weeks for a repair (1 year V.S. 2 weeks)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now lets think logicly here? Lets go out in a year and a half and buy a solid 360 or we can go out now and buy one and risk it going in for 2 weeks for a repair (1 year V.S. 2 weeks)
    What if you felt that the new 65nm board/system design doesn't adequately address the issues at hand?

There's an underlying issue in the 360 case design that has yet to be addressed. The system creates a vacuum inside the case, making it run much hotter then it should. Even with the original board design, if you were to run the system with the case open, it would probably never fail.

The way it works now, you're forcing more air out of the case then the tiny holes on the side can let in. Net result, vacuum.

The question is, will Microsoft be willing to modify their "iconic" design to allow better airflow? I think we all know the answer to that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes i Know this but thanks for the reminder. Yes the vacum effect will always be there but the chips will run cooler still lowering the temp. hopefuly not to warp the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was not aware of the whole vacuum issue. I assume forcing more air in would resolve this, but dare I ponder if partially restricting the outflow would also help?

Either way, does somebody know how to tell if a 360 has the smaller chips, from the serial number or otherwise? I take it the chips aren't out quite yet. I just bought a 360 at a good deal, but with the coming sale/price drop and chip improvement, I wonder if I should return the (unopened) 360 or not.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"There's an underlying issue in the 360 case design that has yet to be addressed. The system creates a vacuum inside the case, making it run much hotter then it should. Even with the original board design, if you were to run the system with the case open, it would probably never fail."

Interesting. Would drilling some holes into the top of the X360 case help deal with this? Or even cutting a chunk out of the top and placing a grille in it to give the mobo some additional air?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Seriously, these whole "I'll just wait for the good one." people don't make any sense to me.

You have a three year warranty for your unit. If you have ANY issues, you get a new one. And if you have to wait two weeks for a new one how is that worse than not playing any new 360 games for two bloody years?

Buck up already. That's the same logic that has people never buying laptops because "There will always be a cheaper one. The price will drop."

Get in the pool already. Play with the other kids.