Thread: Playing SG-1000 and Mark III games on an SMS

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playing SG-1000 and Mark III games on an SMS

Okay, I've researched this a bit, but I want to just make sure I have it right...

In order to play SG-1000/Mark III games on a US SMS, you need to either disable the BIOS (instructions on smspower.org) or replace it with a multiBIOS. This will, however, make certain unspecified US SMS games not work with the system. Does anybody know what games?

Then, in order to use SG-1000/Mark III cartridges you have to build an adapter since the pinout is different. However, since there's no FM unit in the US SMS, you won't get the complete soundtrack. Does anybody know if it's 100% compatible with all the original SG-1000 and later Mark III cartridges?

If you want to play SG-1000 or Mark III MyCards, the card slot in the US SMS 1 is compatible without any additional modifications.

Lastly, I assume this only works with a SMS model 1 or 2. Does anybody know if the Power Base Converter can be modified as well? I read that the Japanese PBC can't play SG-1000 games, so I assume any modded US PBC couldn't either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could get Japanese games to work on a Genesis or European Mega Drive by doing a language mod on the Genesis (so you can switch from English to Japanese and vice versa). The reason why the Mega Adapter (Japanese version of the PBC) doesn't work with SG-1000 games is because the Genesis VDP doesn't support the graphics mode used by SG-1000 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Genesis is language modded, so if I put a Japanese Mycard in my US PBC and plug it into my language modded Genesis, it should work? I assume for cartridges I'd still need some sort of pinout adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    My Genesis is language modded, so if I put a Japanese Mycard in my US PBC and plug it into my language modded Genesis, it should work? I assume for cartridges I'd still need some sort of pinout adapter?
    It should, so long as the MyCard isn't an SG-1000 game.

I should tell you that ToToTEK has an adapter for the Genesis that'll let you play both SMS and Mark III/Japanese SMS games, although it won't do card games. Still, it's a better way to go than building your own adapter or tracking down a Mega Adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So to play everything, I'd need a Tototek device to play Mark III cartridges, use my PBC to play Mark III Mycards, get a cheapo Mark II to play SG-1000 cartridges, and a Card Catcher to play SG-1000 Mycards on the Mark II. Or I could get a Japanese Mark III or SMS and play everything.

One more question: If a game has an FM soundtrack, will I be able to hear it with a PBC, the Tototek adaptor, or a Japanese PBC? Or would I need a Japanese SMS or a Mark III with an FM unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    One more question: If a game has an FM soundtrack, will I be able to hear it with a PBC, the Tototek adaptor, or a Japanese PBC?
    Nope.

Or would I need a Japanese SMS or a Mark III with an FM unit?
    Yup.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! One final, stupid question: I hear that when you play an SG-1000 game on a Mark III, the color palette is darker than if you play it on a SG-1000 or Mark II. Is it so dark that it's a big deal, or is it just a minor difference?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it's down to the weak RGB output that the Mark III has - "proper" Mark III games also have a darker-than-normal pallette, at least on mine :/ It doesn't render them unplayable, but it's an annoyance.
    You're best off looking for a JP Master System instead - both SG & Mark III games look much brighter & sharper than through a Mark III.