Thread: TG16/TurboDuo/PCE import questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TG16/TurboDuo/PCE import questions

Hi guys,
    I recently bought a PC Engine Duo from Japan. I know it plays Japanese HUcards, US and JPN CDs and SuperCDs. Is there a convertor that allows you to play American HUcards on it, similar to a Kisado?
    Are the comtrollers for the PCEDuo and TG16/Duo the same? Do they use the same plugs, same multitap?
    What are some of the best Japanese HUcards games that are worth importing?
    Thanks for any help, this is my first NEC system, so I'm a little new to all this.
    Thanks,
    Jason

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: TG16/TurboDuo/PCE import questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior
    Hi guys,
    I recently bought a PC Engine Duo from Japan. I know it plays Japanese HUcards, US and JPN CDs and SuperCDs. Is there a convertor that allows you to play American HUcards on it, similar to a Kisado?
    There is, but to tell you the truth you probably won't need it - there are very few American-only titles that weren't produced in Japan as well, and of those few I can't think of even ONE that's worth buying a converter for!

Are the comtrollers for the PCEDuo and TG16/Duo the same? Do they use the same plugs, same multitap?
    They're compatible but be careful - "Duo" stuff is not compatible with "non-Duo" stuff controller-wise. The pins on the Duo consoles are a bit smaller.

I can't believe we haven't done a list like this! Though there is one for TurboGrafx, and as stated earlier, most if not all of them are available on PC Engine as well.

Check the classics forum for best TG-16 nd best imports for a start, and I'll leave your thread open for others to chime in with their favorite PC Engine games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
    Are the Japanese versions of say Blazing Lazers, Bonk 1-3, etc in Japanese text only? I'd like to be able to understand the stories and game dialouge. Otherwise I may get a cheap TG16 to play American HUcards.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: TG16/TurboDuo/PCE import questions

Hi guys,
    Thanks for any help, this is my first NEC system, so I'm a little new to all this.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    Welcome to the world of PCE gaming! I too own a PCE Duo, so lemme see if I can be of some assistance...

I believe that Duo controllers are interchangeable between US/Jp systems. I own a PCE multi-tap and it accepts both standard PCE controllers and Duo controllers....i dont know if it'll take any US.

As far as HuCards I'd suggest Outrun, Devils Crash, PC Kid (Bonk), PC Kid 2 (Bonk's Revenge), Street Fighter 2, Super Star Soldier, Gunhed (Blazing Lazers),

CDs: Slyphia, Star Parodier, Lord/Winds of Thunder, Gates of Thunder, Ys Books I+II, Dracula X

Those are just a few of my personal faves..but that damn Soldier Blade keeps evading me!
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
    Are the Japanese versions of say Blazing Lazers, Bonk 1-3, etc in Japanese text only? I'd like to be able to understand the stories and game dialouge. Otherwise I may get a cheap TG16 to play American HUcards.
    No text needed at all for those games
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to NEC's idea of great gaming. And what a great idea it was! I also recommend you pick up

PC Denjin: Rockabilly Paradise (Super CD) since it's such a colorful and fun horizontal shooter. Think Air Zonk, only faster and more vibrant.

Ane-San (SCD) is a female beat'em up that's pretty good. I can't read Kanji but the game is still fun.

Alice in Wonderdream (hu-card) is a pleasant little platformer to get ahold of.

Nekketsu Soccer (SCD) features Kunio Kun and the gang going up against Japanese and international schools in soccer matches. It's a fun soccer game with super ultra kicks.

These last ones are expensive but I thought I'd add them just in case you had $100+ laying around in several places somewhere.

Bonk 3 CD (SCD) is an American CD and the sound and music of the game have been improved greatly over the hu-card version.

Steam Heart's (SCD) is a vertical shooter where you have to battle catgirls in mech suits. The rewards are... well. Worth it.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)