Thread: To much Amps?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default To much Amps?

I got 2 Atari 2600's on Thursday for $2CDN each but with no power adaptors. I found out they need 9VDC 500ma to work. The Genesis power adaptor is 9VDC with 1.5 Amps. Is that too much for my Atari?? I don't want to blow it, it took me almost a year to come across one (in this case 2 hehe).

Thanks!
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just buy 500Ma multi adapters from crappy tire. I set 'em to proper polarity, and voltage, and away I go.

The most common Atari 2600 failure in my experience, is fried decks, by people playing around with AC adapters. The $12 for the multi is worth it, and they are very reliable. You can even tape over the settings after if you want, for safety.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking of buying one I saw at the pawn shop but I think I will go to Canadian Tire instead. Thanks!

hehe an excuse for going to Canadian Tire.
    ~Rich

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got one... but my atari's don't work

The Atari 2600 Jr. Doesn't come up with a picture and the Coleco Gemini controllers only work sometimes but they never work enough to play the game. Examples. The second player will work but the first can. I can shoot but cannot move. I can move but cannot shoot. I tried a lot of games but I can't find one I can play.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't toss 'em! I like having busteds for parts (slider switches, etc). I won't pay much for busteds, (shipping is just about the limit- sorry!) but they can be used to save other decks.

Think of the children!!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't planning on throwing them out. I like to keep them incase I need something from them later on. And the cases are in pretty good shape so I can always change them with one I might find later on down the road... and I can still play the second player in freeway on the coleco gemini!!
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: To much Amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-E_MaN
    I found out they need 9VDC 500ma to work. The Genesis power adaptor is 9VDC with 1.5 Amps. Is that too much for my Atari??
    Using a 1.5 Amp supply will not harm your unit at all. Even though your supply is capable of 1.5A, the 2600 will only pull the .5A it needs.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    I found out they need 9VDC 500ma to work. The Genesis power adaptor is 9VDC with 1.5 Amps. Is that too much for my Atari??
    Using a 1.5 Amp supply will not harm your unit at all. Even though your supply is capable of 1.5A, the 2600 will only pull the .5A it needs.
    How come my Atari doesn't power on with the 1.5A adaptor though? It powers on with the 500ma adaptor I got... both are 9VDC.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How come my Atari doesn't power on with the 1.5A adaptor though? It powers on with the 500ma adaptor I got... both are 9VDC.
    I'm not entirely sure. If you know for a fact that the Genesis supply works (test it out on a Genesis), my guess might be that the Genesis supply requires a larger load to operate properly. In theory what I said about current is true, I cannot say why it doesn't work in your case.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright. Thanks for the info.

I knew the Genesis Power Supply worked because it's the one I use on my SMS.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know if this is your problem or not, but you should check to make sure that the polarity is the same... it wont work if it isnt. Usually there's a drawing on the adapter and on the system, it usually looks something like this. (+)----C----(-) , or (-)----C----(+). Make sure that both the system and the adapter are the same.

DogP

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think your right DogP, I checked the adaptor of the genesis and the one that worked and the pictures showed reversed polarity. I never thought of checking that out. I just figured that it would be a standard adaptor since it worked on both the genesis and sms... but I guesss I was wrong.

Thanks for the help
    ~Rich