Thread: sega sports watches (56k warning)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sega sports watches (56k warning)

these watches have been mentioned here and there, but never in their own thread, so ill give them their due.

let me start by saying i like variants. i like to possess every available version of game related items. im just that way.

when KB toys was going out of business up where we have a cottage, i went there, set to clear out their game stuff at 50% off. they didnt have much, but i did find some game.com stuff cheap. when i went to pay for it i saw a tak bobble head on the counter and inquired about it. well, turns out they had 37 of them, NIB. id better get a cart. i also bought all of their peg board nintendo and sega game holders, and while negotiating, my girlfriend called over to tell me they had some sega watches.

watches?

so i figured id buy one for $3 to go with my collection. i mentioned i like variants, right? anyway, i get to the bin with the watches, and there are about 20. ok. so i pick one up, cool. see another in the bin that isnt the same as the one i grabbed, ok. and another. and the next, and so on. turned out that 17 of the 19 watches in the bin did not match one another. so i had to buy them all. yes, a stupid purchase. yes, im out of hand. but damn...i ended up working out a price of about $1.50 each, and i really HAD to have them all.

i would have expected maybe 3 or 4 variations, but its like the factory had 30 different component parts and randomly put them together. i dont really understand the lack of conformity here. some are very similar, but have different watch bands. some are similar but say '30 m' while their near twins say '100 feet'. some others are identical but for the faceplate(or logos) being printed in different colors. it makes me wonder how many variants the factory produced, if 17 out of 19 random watches were different from one another.

below are photos of the 17 variants i have. if anyone has some that dont match, feel free to post em, just for posterity. i cant imagine too many people bought these things - even on deep discount clearance - so i figured id enlighten the masses for those who are not aware that sega licensed watches. im also sure a lot of people won't care at all about these, but the oddball stuff is what i like best!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I never even heard of those o_O

They look really cool though. Awesome collectors item. Did you check eBay for the ones you're missing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice collection, don't remember seeing those in my area.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary