Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Official Texas Digital Press Members Roll Call!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rise from your grave!

Ok! Me, Icarus Moonsight, and a few others are planning for a get together this Saturday at Dave & Busters @ I10 (next to Edwards Marq*E).

Anyone else game? I've got my wife, a few buddies, and some co-workers that will attending.

If you're up to it, send me or Icarus a PM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Rise from your grave!

Ok! Me, Icarus Moonsight, and a few others are planning for a get together this Saturday at Dave & Busters @ I10 (next to Edwards Marq*E).

Anyone else game? I've got my wife, a few buddies, and some co-workers that will attending.

If you're up to it, send me or Icarus a PM!
    I'd love to attend but I work that Saturday and have no one I can trade shifts with. By the time I get off work, it'll be close to 11pm and having to be back at work in the morning means a no go no show for me. This makes the second time I've mised out. Well, in December there's Oni-con and Smork is soposed to be coming down before Christmas so perhaps we can gather everyone up either at the con or before the big holiday? I want a weekend off so bad now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    I'd love to attend but I work that Saturday and have no one I can trade shifts with. By the time I get off work, it'll be close to 11pm and having to be back at work in the morning means a no go no show for me. This makes the second time I've mised out. Well, in December there's Oni-con and Smork is soposed to be coming down before Christmas so perhaps we can gather everyone up either at the con or before the big holiday? I want a weekend off so bad now.
    Yah, I think I'll be around 13-23 December, but I don't have a ticket yet. If there's a to-do around then I will definitely be up for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey guys, just a reminder that the Houston Area Arcade Group's big shindig is this weekend; the 7th and 8th!

Members of the 501st Legion will be there on Saturday!

Here's the list of machines that will "tentatively" be there!

Clicky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Neither me nor Icarus will be able to do much till sometime later this month or early next. Family fun emergencies and all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it turns out I will be in town 19-27 December. Bad timing as I am sure most are busy with the holidays, but if not I'd like to meet up.

What do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not planning anything big for the holidays, so I'm game. Maybe we can get a group together for some Dave & Busters action or what have you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

The 19th may prove to be bad timing on my part and I'll be at Oni-Con on the 20th. Rest of the time is ok with me as long as I'm off work. Let me know soon though so I can request the day off.

Smork-as you'll be less then 15 minutes away, a mini-meet with you shouldnt be a problem, I'll pm you my number so you can give me a ring when your in town ok.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm moving to San Antonio sometime this summer. What should I know about the area gamewise? Are there any DPers there?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default checking in

Checking in from San Antonio!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, there are some DP'ers here in San Antonio.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamewise there's not much in the way of interesting stuff anymore. All of the independent game stores either sold out to EB Games before Gamestop took over or folded up years ago.

You'll find the usual mix of Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Target and one regional chain in the way of HEB Plus.

The flea markets and thrift stores don't yield much in the way of videogames. Most of the flea markets are aisle after aisle of people selling what they bought out of containers from southeast Asia (many varieties of NES bootlegs) or bins full of common PlayStation and PS2 titles. Every once in a while you'll find the odd Genesis with a few loose carts or some XBox and Nintendo stuff but not much of anything before 1996.

About 90% of the pawn shops are regional chains that don't deal in anything prior to PS2 or XBox and the few mom-and-pops left in the business are even more depressing when it comes to games.

Having said that though you will still run into the occasional find at a flea market but not like in the mid-90's. Man, those were the best days for collecting stuff as you'd find all sorts of stuff in the flea markets, thrift stores and pawn shops.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm from San Antonio also. Your best bet is Flea Markets, but like the above post mentioned, a lot of the same stuff over and over again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pitchblackvoid

I'm over in North Dallas. I'm up for a meet up or hanging out and playing some games. I love all the old systems especially from Sega (hence my handle), but due to financial reasons, I only have a Wii right now.

On that note, anyone know of any good game stores that sells older games besides the CGX stores? Also, is Gameworks at Grapevine Mills the last so-called arcade around here? I mean I haven't seen a new game in that place in 3 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaBoy View Post
    I'm over in North Dallas. I'm up for a meet up or hanging out and playing some games. I love all the old systems especially from Sega (hence my handle), but due to financial reasons, I only have a Wii right now.

On that note, anyone know of any good game stores that sells older games besides the CGX stores? Also, is Gameworks at Grapevine Mills the last so-called arcade around here? I mean I haven't seen a new game in that place in 3 years.
    There's Dave and Busters scattered around the area, plus a place I never knew about in Garland called Nickelrama Arcade that looks to be designed for the younger crowd. The Parks Mall in Arlington still has a Tilt Arcade, and you can still stumble across machines here and there. There's a place called Barcadia in Dallas, but I've never bothered looking the place up since I don't drink. They supposedly have a small but decent selection.

As far as stores that sell older games, there's a couple Trade N' Play stores with a small amount of classic stuff, but usually nothing pre-NES. The Movie Trading Company locations have various amounts of classic stuff, which apparently don't get redistributed amongst the stores. For example, the Forth Worth store has probably 150-200 Atari 2600 games (most are fairly common), but the Garland location has exactly one, which was Pitfall. With those stores, you literally never know what the heck you'll find from visit to visit. They get new stuff on a totally random basis. They don't have any info about rarities of games that old in their computers, so they price them all at $1.99. The Hurst location has Intellivision, Odyssey2, and Atari 5200 games, and most other locations don't. Each store is a crapshoot, but I love checking their stores out anyway.

The Trader's Village flea market in Grand Prairie has, on the far north end, a shop called Crops Collectibles. The guy who runs the place has the proverbial dung-load of systems and games. The only problem being that the place is only open on the weekends. And if you're eagle-eyed, you can walk the market and pick up a few nice deals before you get to his booth. I've bought some great stuff out there over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, the Oklahoma Electronic Games Expo has been announced for April 11th in Oklahoma City. Last year was... a letdown to say the least, considering they threw the event together in a month's time and almost nobody showed up, so hopefully they learned from that experience and have started organizing everything ahead of time. I know that Oklahoma City is a pretty good drive from Houston/Austin/San Antonio, but hopefully we'll see a few Texans there. I'll go again this year, if not for the event, for the opportunity to hang around with a few folks from the forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corpus here. We need a Texas gathering fo sho'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Holy crap! All these years and I still have not attended a Houston DP gathering. Met a fellow member at the Game Stop I worked at in 2007... can't recall his name but he was a long time poster. Who was that?

Anyway we need a get together. Who's up for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm available on the weekends. I've tried a few times to get something going but have had less than stellar results (ie due to scheduling conflicts or general lack of interest).

I'm always game...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it hasn't been easy to get this going. I take responsibility for my part in the times of plans that fell through. If we can get something set up again, and I'm able to make it this time, I'm in.

Fuyukaze might be harder than me to rope in these days though. His work schedule changes every week. I hated when I had that kind of BS to put up with.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives