Thread: Help w/Genesis RGB/Component video mod.

Insert Coin (Level 0) NESWizard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help w/Genesis RGB/Component video mod.

Hello, new to this forum. I am looking for help in getting a better/perfect video signal from my Genesis. I have both a Model 1 and a Model 2. I have looked around and found many different ideas on how to do this, but I am looking for the best. Hopefully from someone who has done it them selfs. I want preferable Analog Component or at the very least S-Video. I also want true output signals not one from an ultra expensive up-grader. By the same token items such as the XDM-Mega are also too expensive. I do have an RGB Monitor but wish to hook it up to my HD Projector. So all this boils down to a relatively inexpensive method of modifying my Genesis to output top quality video. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Model 1 and Model 2 only output composite and RGB on their video out ports. You might be able to hack it internally to get S-Video, but component is impossible without some kind of converter.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

if you want the best picture quality RGB is the way to go, the only way to get component would be to convert the RGB to component. Also, it's going to look better on your RGB monitor than on your HD projector. a sensible person would stick with S-video for a genesis, which you'll more likely be able to do on the model 1, check the knowledge base for your genesis' video chip, http://www.digitpress.com/livefaq/in...=82&artlang=en

someone else can tell you more about RGB than i can i'm sure, so i'll let them do it

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector View Post
    The Model 1 and Model 2 only output composite and RGB on their video out ports. You might be able to hack it internally to get S-Video, but component is impossible without some kind of converter.
    I know for a fact you can mod a genesis for S-video. i have 2 that are modded with a s-video out and it looks considerably better then composite.

as for component, i've never seen it done but its my understanding that if a system can do RGB (which the genesis can) then it can be made to do any of the lesser quality methods with some modding. so I would assume component is possable but as i said, i've never seen it done.

it used to be said getting a 3do to do RGB was impossible but someone eventually found a way around that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are RGB to component converters available IIRC. But, they are Euro SCART pinned, not J-RGB (21-pin). You'll need to re-pin the converters for them to work... unless you're already using a RGB SCART cable.

Best, easiest solution? Micomsoft's XRGB3.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To get component you'll need to tap RGB from the AV out and get an RGB to component transcoder, which would be like $100 or so if you can find one. However even if you can get component, your Genesis may not work on your HD Projector. The resolution from the genny is so low that the projector will at best display a cruddy scaled image or, at worst, not display an image at all. What you really need is an upscan converter like the XRGB 2, 2+, or 3. Low res RGB in, 480p VGA out. I have the XRGB-3 and it kicks ass, I use it both with a digital projector and 24" CRT PC monitor with dazzling results. They're pricey, like $300 or lower if you're lucky, but worth it. Do a search here for more info, also:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=6987

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used the JROK adapter, works perfectly. Works for both the NTSC and PAL scanrates, so with a region modded Genny, all modes are in color..

Insert Coin (Level 0) NESWizard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This looks very cool! I am asking his price right now.
    Someday, somehow you will dye and someone or something will steal your carbon!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a picture if you'd like...

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/jrokcomponent.jpg

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/sdsegacomp.jpg

Of course, with the JROK, you have to build the thing yourself. Btw, copy my POT locations I calibrated it to the Genny...

And be aware, his GND and Sync location on the sheet he gives with it, are backwards. I don't know if he fixed it yet though...

(Oh, and if you want to do a region mod, make sure your TV can even support the scanrate first! While it will be in color, the tube may not like the scanrate)
    Last edited by evildragon; 08-21-2007 at 02:22 PM.