Thread: Thinking of selling my entire Dreamcast collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thinking of selling my entire Dreamcast collection

I have all the US released Dreamcast games (except Sonic Adventure LE) but it just hit me today that I'm not all that interested in them anymore. Most of my favorite games are availible on other systems (or have sequels on them), and I've played most of them alot already. Also there are many crap titles that I probably won't ever really spend the time playing, they were just to complete the collection. How much do you think I can get for it? I also have Shenmue LE, Shenmue 2 Euro, 4 systems, and a ton of accessories.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm that's less than what I was expecting. I forgot about the damn ebay fees and that would make it even less. Maybe I should hold onto them for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you DO decide to sell it, might as well hold off on it until Winter. Right now buyers are either on vacation or busy enjoying the summer. Winter brings forth a lot of (nostalgic) gaming urges... so you may have potentially more bidders in November than August.

Also, in-between now and then it'll give you time to further evaluate how much "passion" is gone. If Halloween rolls by and you still feel hallow toward it all, I suggest putting it on eBay and don't look back. Besides, that money you pocket will put a big smile on your face. Good luck

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicShaman View Post
    Huh, I would have bought that for that price, for sure. Gotta keep an eye out for these big lots, they are such a good value.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    If you DO decide to sell it, might as well hold off on it until Winter. Right now buyers are either on vacation or busy enjoying the summer. Winter brings forth a lot of (nostalgic) gaming urges... so you may have potentially more bidders in November than August.

Also, in-between now and then it'll give you time to further evaluate how much "passion" is gone. If Halloween rolls by and you still feel hallow toward it all, I suggest putting it on eBay and don't look back. Besides, that money you pocket will put a big smile on your face. Good luck
    Good idea, maybe there would be more interest during the holidays.

Actually now that I think about it, I spent about $1,000 on the games alone and that auction ended around $1,700 with a few extras thrown in, so it's not really a bad price I guess.

However my auction would be bigger than that one. I'm talking about 4 systems (1 Sega Sports, 1 clear green), official racing wheel/arcade stick/fishing rod/keyboard/mouse/maracas, 3 lightguns, flightstick, around 10 or so official controllers and vmus, and most of the stuff is complete.

Right now I'm 80% sure on selling it.

I need some advice though. Suppose I was the guy who was the seller of that auction. How much would ebay charge me for the final value fee? I have 2 recent negatives on my ebay feedback (due to my seller being an ass, sent me a different/broken item and wouldn't refund the shipping cost of sending the item back to him, so I got a refund through Paypal). Would that discourage alot of people? Which shipping service/option is best suited for this sort of thing?
    Last edited by DOL_001; 08-08-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't sell in a huge lot or you won't get the money you deserve.

I would keep the games that you really love along with the system. Sell off the most rares individually. Then maybe put up little collections (Sonic Games, Racing Games) etc.

You can build up more feedback that way too by starting with some cheaper games and working your way up to the more desirable ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for pointing out that auction. The best part:

Please understand that I don’t answer offers to end the auction early. If you e-mail me with a price or ask me to name one, I won’t answer your e-mail. Your offer will be too low or you won’t want to pay me what I want. I HAVE NEVER HAD SOMEBODY OFFER TO BUY MY LOTS FOR MORE THAN WHAT THEY SOLD FOR AT THE END OF THE AUCTION. So go ahead and offer me what you think is the moon. It won’t be and you will wind up feeling alone and rejected.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by DOL_001 View Post
    I need some advice though. Suppose I was the guy who was the seller of that auction. How much would ebay charge me for the final value fee? I have 2 recent negatives on my ebay feedback (due to my seller being an ass, sent me a different/broken item and wouldn't refund the shipping cost of sending the item back to him, so I got a refund through Paypal). Would that discourage alot of people? Which shipping service/option is best suited for this sort of thing?
    For fees, I always go to EBCalc.com and use their calculator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    For fees, I always go to EBCalc.com and use their calculator.
    Thanks. Looks like that guy paid around $100 in fees...

Should I sell the more expensive accessories with it or separately?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you'll always make more selling stuff seperatly. There was actually a complete set up a few years ago that didn't bring much more than this last one. The average DC game has come down in price over the past year so really the $1700 end bid wasn't surprising.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll sell the accessories separately, but I don't think people would pay much for the crappier games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could always just put it on with a buy now price only and set it at what you want for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was the one who won that recent complete DC auction and I have those games up for sale right now. I agree with almost everyone, don't sell the collection as a whole. If you have the time sell it separately, you will get what your collection is worth and not a cut-rate wholesale value. Check out my auctions on the last day to get some idea of what you'll be getting for individual games. Also keep in mind many people wait to bid until the very last second so those values will even rise a bit more.

This is the second complete DC collection I've won from eBay in the last few months. Here's the link for the one that I kept:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280113502884

As you can see this auction went for $400 more than the recent one and I think it would've gone for way more. If you check the auction you'll notice that the game platform is not filled in. This auction was very hard to see for the average eBayer and if it had been classed properly I think it could've hit $3000.

If you are forced to sell your collection as a whole I wouldn't expect more than $8 a game. Hopefully selling it separately will get you $10 - $15 a game - an extra $500 to $1750.