Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a NeoGeo system worth the money?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is a NeoGeo system worth the money?

I have been seriously thinking about picking up a NeoGeo home console system, but they are insanely expensive. I was just looking for some feedback about the system and the games in general, say compared to other systems like the TG-16, Genny, and SNES.

Also, can someone explain the difference between the "gold" and "silver" systems (if any).

Thanks!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like fighters to a lesser extent shooters, yes it is worth it.

A system isn't really that expensive, you should be able to find one for around 150 or so. It's the games that are expensive.

Don't know the difference between silver and gold, but I think it was originally just referring to what was packed in with the system. Not sure about that though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the systems I have been seeing on ebay lately are going for about $300.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I *think* silver was one joystick and no games and gold was two joysticks and either Magician Lord or Baseball Stars or NAM 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate
    the systems I have been seeing on ebay lately are going for about $300.
    That's a bit steep. I'd say $150-200 depending on condition. The games will cost you your soul, your firstborn, and various other things though

It's a fun system for 2D shooters and fighters. Don't get the CD system *which is cheaper* if you're into fighters tho...load times are HORRENDOUS (but not bad for other stuff)!!

As for where to check...you can get reasonable deals occasionally on the www.neo-geo.com forums. The people on the forums are usually quite reliable! Good luck!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the silver system of neogeo has a debug bios chip in it and an s-video port... the gold one, just has RF/RCA setup

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is a NeoGeo system worth the money?

I have been seriously thinking about picking up a NeoGeo home console system, but they are insanely expensive. I was just looking for some feedback about the system and the games in general, say compared to other systems like the TG-16, Genny, and SNES.

Also, can someone explain the difference between the "gold" and "silver" systems (if any).

Thanks!!
    I think the most important thing to remember about buying a NEO*GEO home console is that fact that youre not buying a home console but an arcade machine and as such certain genres (like RPGs) are zilch. If you have a boner for fighters, brawlers, shooters, puzzles, action and some non-licensed sports games, you'll be in heaven. You can also snag some of the more popular older titles like Fatal Fury Special, Magaician Lord, and Samurai Shodown II for around 40 bucks or less.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by xbamx
    the silver system of neogeo has a debug bios chip in it and an s-video port... the gold one, just has RF/RCA setup
    No, I believe it's just how !arcade! aka www.neogeousa.com sells them. If you take a look on their website, the Silver system states that it comes modded that way.

My paycheck can't afford the carts for AES. So I got a supergun instead (yes, it opens a whole other can of worms) The basic supergun unit was about the same as a Neo Geo AES, but the cartridges were way less: AES US Metal Slug $1500 compared to MVS US Metal Slug $50. With the supergun you get into the whole sticky mess of JAMMA which isn't all bad, considering you'd then be able to use Naomi, CPS 1, 2, 3, etc.

But, as for cheaper carts (if you're not collecting and you just want to play) if you JUST want Neo Geo games, get the system and a Phantom convertor (butta--you have one right?) The initial costs are a bit high, but the cartridge prices make up for later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see alot of Japanese units on ebay for cheaper than the US ones. What's the deal with these? Any drawbacks to buying the Japanese system?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

what i like about neogeo is still old schoolers(fleas...whathaveyous) sell them based on megs. 1 meg $1. So yes either you found a gold mine or laughable prices.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only drawback is that the games will play in Japanese (text and voice)
    The nice think is that you can buy ANY game, and it work fine. The games will be whatever region that the system is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't know where Butta got the $150 for a system as they go for well over $200 on online retailers and auction.

You can get a NeoGeo CD for $100-150 (or the faster and S-Video equiped CDZ for the same as a AES) and get many of the neo geo games off ebay for hundreds less then the AES.

here is a list of N_E_O_GEO CD prices.. I've found it's almost perfectly acurate for Ebay.. most of the commons got for lower even. The only game on the list that goes higher on ebay are the metal slugs (go figure)

http://www.neo-geo.com/guides/cdguide.html

that's www.n.e.o-geo.com there
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see alot of Japanese units on ebay for cheaper than the US ones. What's the deal with these? Any drawbacks to buying the Japanese system?
    yea the shipping.. $75-$90 is standard

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'm gonna pick up either a Japanese console or a 2 slot MVS arcade unit. I just can't afford the US console and games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow -

Lots of varying information here, not all of which is correct. I just made a purchase, and did a LOT of research prior to buying. So, here's what I have learned from the most knowledgeable in the N.e.o-Geo community.

Achika was correct about the "Gold" and "Silver" systems. The Gold was the original AES release, with 2 controllers and 1 game. This was quite expensive, and so they also released a Silver version which had one controller and no game. After that, there were other released combinations, most of which had no game.

The US version of the AES will play games even if the games are from Japan, but will have no blood and the "boobs" won't bounce.

The Japanese version of the AES will play games in Japanese, regardless of the game's origin, but will have no censorship.

ALL AES have mono output only, and NO s-video component. For $80 (from Jeff Kurtz) or $200 (from !arcade!), you can have your system "modded" - which will usually include the stereo/s-video upgrade, as well as the debug bios chip install. The latter of the two will basically eliminate the censorship on a US system. It will also allow you to play any game (US/EURO/JAP) without language or censorship barriers. Definitely worth it - no hassles with your games.

AES vs. CD - it's basically a question of patience vs. price. CD games are easier to find and MUCH cheaper. However, the load times are terrible. If you can stomach it, that'd be the way to go for the price-conscious.

Finally, speaking of price. The system by itself is the least of your concerns. YOU CAN find a system for $150-$200 including shipping if you are patient. Modded systems will run about $300 (that's what mine cost a few weeks ago.) However, if you think about what it costs to ship your system, have it modded, and then ship it back - it was definitely worth it to me.

The real prohibitive factor is the games. Butta or Samurai-X can tell you easily enough - they can run from $15 - $1500! It depends what you want, and (like any other system) how hard it is to get it.

I have a modded AES and a MVS dedicated 6-slot, so I'm not one to talk about spending cash, but you could also get an AES with a Phantom card ($299 from !arcade!) and play MVS games on your AES - much cheaper!!

Hope this helped!

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One tiny thing to remember- For really not any more money than either an AVS and a game, or some of the other alternatives, you can pick up a real arcade machine at auction with a working monitor and a JAMMA harness, install a MVS mobo, and then get the games *cheap* =) That's what I'm working on now, and I'm thrilled (I've got a lovely Street Fighter II machine that I'm just waiting to get bored with so I have the heart to take out that nice little Capcom board)

Cost of the SF2 (Good condition): Only 150
    Neo Geo Mobo: 50-150 depending on number of slots and luck
    Carts: Nice and cheap
    Wooing the girlfriend with Puzzle Bobble 2, arcade: Priceless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, now I am leaning towards the Japanese console system. I really don't care about the language and like the fact that there is no censorship (boobs should bounce dammit!!).

will a Japanese system work ok with my US tv and power?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd just like to add that the CDZ system comes standard with S-Video and Stereo and has a 2x CD-ROM not the single speed CD original. Puzzle games you won't notice a thing, Most bullet spewers only have a quick new lvl load with funny little animations to entertain. Most of the fighting games are not bad either until you get into the late releases. Last Blade 2 being one i've baught and found loads are tiresome as the battles are over quick and loading....

CDZ is JAP only.. works great here. Japan used NTSC, not PAL so every system there will work here. minus some power supplies but I think all the Geo PSU's work.. at least my CDZ one does.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like Achika said, getting a supergun is nice if you want to play other jamma pcb's as well as the mvs carts.

For me the best setup was the Japanese homecart system with the phantom 1. You can get great older AES carts for less than 50 bucks, including Samurai Shodown 1 and 2, Fatal Fury Special, Nam 1975, Baseball Stars 1 and 2, Art of Fighting 1 and 2, and Fatal Fury 1 and 2. You can even get Samurai Shodown 3 for around 70-80 (japanese version, the US cart will run double that. Then for some other quality games, you can go the MVS route. Metal Slug 1-3 would cost you about 300 total for mvs instead of about 2500 or so for the AES carts. You can also get great shooters like Pulstar or Blazing Star for around 50 a piece instead of 500-600 a piece. Then there are also games that never made it to AES, like Neo Drift Out (must find this game soon, one of my favorites)

So, the phantom 1 is a bit steep starting out (i got kinda lucky and got mine for 200, newest version, but it can be found for 250 at videogamedepot) but saves you money in the long run. For example I recently got a Ninja Masters MVS kit for 80 bucks, and that woulda cost me 600-700 for the homecart. So just with that game alone, the phantom 1 is worth it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    don't know where Butta got the $150 for a system as they go for well over $200 on online retailers and auction.
    If you look around enough, especially at the n-g.com boards, a system can be found for 150. I got mine boxed for 300 with 3 games about 2 years ago, which made my system price about 200.