Thread: Expanding the Scope for 2k8: Vendors?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Expanding the Scope for 2k8: Vendors?

The CGE team is presently discussing the expanded scope of 2k8. That is, we're planning on opening the term "classic gaming" into a more current era. After taking that year off and seeing what people who come into my store are looking for, it has become more clear that "classic gaming" doesn't date back as far as us old guys tend to think.

Basically we're looking at all abandoned, discontinued, orphaned systems, if you will. I'd like people who attend CGE to come with the same expectations as customers in my store: "a place where I can find stuff that isn't being supported anywhere else". That said, this pretty much extends the scope into the N64 and Dreamcast era. This isn't a final decision but this thread will certainly help things along.

Note that in the past, we've tried to enlist Turbo Zone Direct and Neo-Geo.com to no avail. We did have Neo Geo Freak for a few years in Vegas but they seem to have disappeared.

So the question is: as we begin scouting vendors for next year, who would you suggest as candidates for this expanded scope? Are there sites, eBay stores, physical locations you're familiar with that stock SNES, TurboGrafx, Neo-Geo, 3DO, Jaguar, N64, Dreamcast and the like? If so, please share them here with us so we can begin tracking them down.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two vendors that I like who you may be familiar with are www.tradengames.com as well as www.estarland.com

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

For what it's worth, if the folks over at neo-geo.com think you're a supporter of neo geo freak, many of them likely won't want anything to do with it. There's a very deep-seated rivalry that has been going on for years, at least partly related to the way that NGF treated the original SNK games. Games that have gone through NGF are commonly referred to as "freaked" since they often bear the NGF stamp all over them. This destruction and alteration of the SNK materials inspired a rather harsh view of anyone related to NGF on the neo-geo.com scene. Apologies if you knew all that already, just figured I'd throw in my $0.02 if it helps.

Prove that you have no ties to NGF and some of them may come around. I think there are a few neo-geo.com'ers around here anyways. I've been there for years.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Unfortunately...

TZD and Neo Geo.com have little or no stock left to sell. In fact, TZD is down to their last dozen or so titles. Neo Geo.com has little besides the six new titles they have been selling on their site for the past three years and a couple dozen used games. You might want to try Arcade Shock. They are based in the Los Angeles area and have a broader stock of mint condition stuff including Neo Geo AES and MVS.

Telegames is gone, but Direct4Games bought all their stock and have been selling it at a serious discount (although shipping is a killer). I would love to buy directly from them, although they may not be happy about having to ship stock to the US from the UK.

I would love to see Best Electronics return. How about Go Atari or Sega-Parts? What about contacting some big distributors out of LA and having them just bring a bunch of newer stuff (Dreamcast, Genesis, SNES, etc...) that is just sitting in their warehouses? There are at least five or six warehouse style distributors in downtown LA that I regularly visit and they seem to have a lot of newer stuff that's just taking up space.

What about Game Express from New York? They have a good amount of older stock. McVans Video Games has a good selection of neo-classic stuff as well.
    I'll keep brainstorming, but those are my go-to vendors right now.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Forgot one...

What about Games Quest Direct? They are pretty much web sales only now, but they have thousands of neo-classic games and they are also Southern California based. They have also started collaborating with Cheap Ass Gamer, so they are open to partnerships it seems.

The Los Angeles chain "Games 4 Less" is another option. They have a lot of stock, new and used, and at least 4 stores, so they might be interested in renting a booth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

How about NCSX? They sell import and domestic stuff for more recent consoles, and are US based.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

4Jays had been at past California shows, was the journey too far to Vegas for them?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

songbird is another place I would like to see return to the show.
    Bre Software is probably another place I would like to see.
    they used to deal a lot with used jaguar and Lynx stuff,Ithink they are more in NES and such now.
    if possible maybe set up a section just for users groups like Ti-99/4a or commondore..
    Last edited by Dan Iacovelli; 08-09-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You might want to try Arcade Shock. They are based in the Los Angeles area and have a broader stock of mint condition stuff including Neo Geo AES and MVS.
    QFT. Arcadeshock has a lot of really good stuff on the arcade scene in general, not just the Neo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

First of all, excellent post Joe, as this will hopefully get some responses from people to see what they want. My two cents would be to try to contact every independant video game store in Vegas and LA just to let them know about the convention(Put ads in craigslist, I bet you get some bites) I bet you a few of them would at least set up a table next year. Here are my recommendations which I just went down the list at vgstores.com

Go Atari(Jag, Lynx, and Game.com)
    Japan Games Now(Neo Geo)
    The Goat Store
    McVans Video Games
    O Shea
    Sega Parts
    Used Games(this site would do well and has lots to offer)
    Value Video Games
    Video Game Trader

Also you might want to contact:
    slackers.com

This is just the tip of the iceburg. Also as good as a store, would be individuals selling off their collections. I have a hint of what a pain it is to find vendors, as I have been working with Rick Weis trying to gather up vendors for our upcoming show. I can only imagine how hard it is to be across the US trying to plan a show.

I think that this is a good opportunity for the show to be much more than it is. I appreicate the fact that DP will be reaching out to new vendors! Atari is great, and Nes is great, but there is so much more out there!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    4Jays had been at past California shows, was the journey too far to Vegas for them?
    i was at their store after CGE bought some games from them asked them why they didn't go this year they said they wanted to but had sickness in family so couldn't make it this year ... but hopefully in 2K8 ! .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a T-Shirt vendor at California Extreme. Woull like to see here there.

Overall we were VERY light on the T-Shirt variety this year.
    - v