Thread: video game market now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Default video game market now?

whats the video game market like, i sell on ebay and have not really noticed it being bad, but a lot of people say it is bad? what do you think?

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Truthfully all I have to say is that if you are happy with the money you pull in, it shouldn't matter. Thinking about whether you could/should have been making more money is just depressing.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonoTekETeA View Post
    Truthfully all I have to say is that if you are happy with the money you pull in, it shouldn't matter. Thinking about whether you could/should have been making more money is just depressing.
    Well put, but I'm curious about this as well, because for me it wouldn't be too big of a deal to throw all my for sale stuff in a couple big boxes in the basement and sit on it for a few months. Will it really make that much of a difference?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my experience if you wait until winter it makes a 20% difference. Plus stuff that normally doesn't sell can sell. If you pay attention there are things that go for half price in the summer.
    Collecting the Bubble Bobble series, this includes Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars and Puzzle Bobble. If you have anything for trade or sale please let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

it seems games stay steady but systems really drop in summer, in winter an nes is 50,in summer its like 25 with games sometimes? Same with other systems. really valuabel stuff probably does not matter when.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the last 5 years the Game market on Ebay has crashed big time.

Everyone and their brother sells on Ebay now.

Common games and not so common games aren't worth even selling. And systems have gone down 30% or more.

The only thing worth selling is very rare games and sealed older system games. They have actually increased in price the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    The only thing worth selling is very rare games and sealed older system games. They have actually increased in price the last few years.
    I haven't been buying/selling video games for that long, so I can't say whether or not it has actually crashed like you say, but I would definitely disagree with your statement about what's worth selling. I have made thousands of dollars selling systems over the past couple years. I can sell NES for $50 and SNES for $55. PS2s also sell very well. You're right, common games are pretty pointless to sell, but quality games and rares, as well as systems, are very easy money.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even if it's nowhere near as good as before Christmas, I still find summer a better time for selling than other times. Late winter/early Spring seems to really suck. I mean, when it comes to video games, you mostly have a relatively young consumer base, so a lot of potential customers are still in school or college. They got free time in the summer, and, if they get a summer job, they got extra money to burn.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've noticed some things have gone down over the past few years I've been watching the market. I don't really notice a huge difference between summer and winter time either. Saturn seems to maintain its market very well, although Panzer Dragoon Saga could be had for $100 now if you find the right auction, but the rest of the games in the library (except the bigger ones like Dragon Force, Shining Force 3 etc.) will sometimes go for $15 or more. Shit i saw Duke 3d and doom go for almost $20 a piece for Saturn. I think it all really depends on which system you are looking at. Atari 2600, not a big market; Genesis, games are cheapo with the exception of some titles. Dreamcast however I think is just getting over its big market buzz. There was a short period of time where I was seeing Sword of the Berzerk on Dreamcast selling for $50. But now I think you could get it for $15-20. All I'm saying is if you wanna hold onto some "sell" games, there really is not such a great way to determine whether or not its going to increase or decrease in value. All the games I held onto in hopes of rising values mostly have gone down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rare or Semi-Rare CIB games with high demand are your best bet for holding value. In almost every case CIB Rares have kept their value or gone up, even when loose copies go down.