Thread: My First Intellivision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Default My First Intellivision

Ok, I'm a little tired writing this, but hey, gotta give it a go. Know the contest probably is over and yada yada, but I needed to see something not NES or later in here besides one cool story about a PC Shop. Here goes:

Garage sales seem to be a great place to find games, but those not in the norm' don't know that. Oddly enough, one of my experiences with older video games got started with such an experience.

It was summertime a long time ago. I was young, somewhere around the age of 10. I was going to a couple of rummages with my late grandmother.

Anyway, we happened upon a rummage that had these different game systems I had never heard of. What's that thing? Atari? Is that a Superman game with it?

I asked if there was some way we could get it. Apparently it was a little too much for her wallet, but I noticed something else they had. This was, of course, an intellivision. It had a few games with it and seemed interesting. And it was just 15 bucks. Well, wouldn't you know it, my grandma picked up for me. My first "retro" system.

Now when I got it back to her house, I hooked it up to this little TV they had in their living room. I Eventually figured out this "weird black switch" that hooked up to the TV with the help of my uncle and after some trial and error, got this weird system going. Numbers for a controller and a circle DISC on it I have to use to move? Let's see how this works...

First, I played "Beauty and the Beast", this interesting game where you had to climb up a building to get to a monkey who's got your girl. At first I thought I would have been a ripoff of Donkey Kong, but I was wrong. It was a bit fun, hard to control, but fun.

Next, was Burgertime. I can't recall if I ever played it before then, but I had one heck of a time trying to assemble the damn burgers. "That wiener got me!" I think I said, not knowing it's connotation.

Third, was the original Donkey Kong. I liked it because I think it was the first time I'd played it on a video game system as opposed to the times I went to a supper club to play the machine they had there. So, the arcade games are pretty cool on this weird new system altogether, one of the reasons I like it now. It just had the great mix of ports and original stuff.

Fourth, was Masters of the Universe. I thought, "A 'He-Man' video game?" See I used to watch He-Man with action figures in hand, before my "Turtle" fix needed to be calmed. So I thought it'd probably be neat to play. Well, it was sort of. I kept thinking "Why the heck am I flying? Shouldn't I be fighting on the ground?" I'd seen the screen preview a bit of the demo before playing. And it completely bewildered me. How do I get there? Well, I never did then, but it was a learning experience. So it was fun playing, but an odd feeling, as this was also the first shooter I'd played. And a Defender clone to boot!

All in all, it was pretty interesting, but I sort of put it in the back of my mind. See, I was spoiled in a way on newer video games. I saw the "superior" technology of Intellivision then as unsatisfactory. Plus, the NES had more music and colors in it, and enjoyed it more.

"Well, if I ever want to play it again, I'll just dig it up," I said to myself.

When I finally got up the urge to play it again, via the Digital Press website, I had found out it eventually got lost in a bunch of stuff in my grandparents convoluted upstairs and a few years ago, before she died, she'd sold it at a rummage sale.

A new beginning for another, but a small disappointment to me. Having frequented many flea markets and rummages, one cannot dismiss the fact that people like you and me are the ones responsible for our older items. If YOU don't act on something that you have an upper hand at, you miss out as well.

So, I was dashed of my Intellivision playing. C'est la vie.

It wasn't until Midwest Gaming Classic 2007 that I'd gotten back this lost treasure. Playing some of the compilation released for modern systems was fun, but I was glad to get the original again! Burgertime! Astroblast! Defender! Night Stalker! All at my fingertips again!

So, Moral of the story? What once was old, can, is, and will forever be new through resale and rediscovery. Even if one does not quite comprehend a system and it's benefits, one day they will.
    Last edited by Matt-El; 09-17-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El View Post
    Fourth, was Masters of the Universe. I thought, "A 'He-Man' video game?" See I used to watch He-Man with action figures in hand, before my "Turtle" fix needed to be calmed. So I thought it'd probably be neat to play. Well, it was sort of. I kept thinking "Why the heck am I flying? Shouldn't I be fighting on the ground?" So it was fun playing, but an odd feeling, as this was also the first shooter I'd played. And a Defender clone to boot!
    Just wanted to mention that you did eventually fight on the ground. If you kept flying to the right (there should be a number on screen counting down the miles) you would eventually reach Castle Greyskull. You'd then guide your tiny little He-Man through waves of fireballs to fight Skeletor on a couple of levels until the game repeats itself, going back to the Defender clone level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Yeah, see I didn't make it far enough or knew what I was doing back then. But yknow, that's how I've always played them. Keep on going until you realize what you've fucked up.