Thread: SNES question..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES question..

I originally posted this in the Restoration forum, but I don't think many people are seeing it, and it seems a simple enough question for someone who owns a SNES..can anyone help?:

I recently got ahold of a SNES for $13 (cheap I think) complete w/2 joysticks, power sup, and rf adaptor. When I first received it, I plugged it in and turned it on and the red light in front came on. See, I have NO games for the system (yet) so this is basically all I can do to test the system. Later, I just flipped the power switch without the power supply plugged in, and the power light came on for a second and then went out! I am assuming this was just discharge of electricity held in the unit. Well, I got done re-wiring my systems and plugging them all in, and now, when I turn the SNES on it doesn't light up power! I really don't know much about the SNES. I kind of passed it by while I was either drunk or in my Genesis world back then. I know the Jaguar needs a cart inside it to power up, is this (HOPEFULLY) the same situation on the SNES? Or did it just go bye bye?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not sure. pick up a cheap cart and see if it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it an original SNES, not the second, smaller model? If it is, I might have a solution.

I have two SNESes and they basically have the same problem as yours. Look at the back of the SNES, where you plug in the power cord. In that slot, there should be a plastic "ring". I don't know why, but on many of the SNESes I've seen, including both of mine, the ring has broken off. So if you look in the slot, and you just see two metal prongs sticking out- there is your problem.

Try plugging it in and wiggling the power cord in the system while it is on. If it comes on and goes out, it is the same as mine.

To fix this, I just used a screw driver, and moved one of the metal prongs closer to the other. It works fine now!

If that doesn't work, I don't really know. Oh, and you can power on the SNES without a game in it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem described by Neb is the only thing that Nintendo can do to fix Super Nintendos anymore. If your system doesn't have that problem, and if a replacement AC adapter doesn't work, then you mihgt be better off just picking up another SNES. In answer to your original question, the SNES does not need a game in order to power on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The AC port can be repaired, if someone is determined, and can solder. I've done it - it's essentially swiping an AC port from a busted SNES with a different problem. Only 2 points to solder (and desolder). For most it may be easier to replace the deck.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!