Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Persona 3 - is it right for me?

I didn't want to make this thread, but I decided I'd better, since I don't want to pay $50 for a game there's a chance I would never play.

Here's the thing. I'm currently unsure whether I will buy Persona 3 or not. I tried out Persona 2 for about an hour a little while ago, and kinda liked the whole ask / charm / befriend demon thing that happens during battles. The fighting system didn't seem that bad either. But I was confused by the whole Persona dealy. I didn't really look at the manual at all.

I did find the story VERY interesting. I got as far as Joker activating your Personas. But I didn't make it that far, as I've been too busy with other games.

So do you think I'll like this game? For reference, here's a bunch of the games I've played and beaten.

Final Fantasy (GBA Remake, beaten)
    Final Fantasy II (GBA Remake, didn't hold my interest)
    Final Fantasy II (IV) (SNES, beaten back in 1998)
    Final Fantasy III (SNES, favorite RPG)
    Arcana (SNES)
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

And for the record, I think FFVII is a decent game but it's nowhere near the BESTOMGCREAMINGMYPANTSINEXTAZY game so many people find it to be. :P

Anyone? Bueller?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    BESTOMGCREAMINGMYPANTSINEXTAZY
    Change that to your new user name XD
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a bit curious as to how I'm going to take to it as well. I'm dead set on buying it because I've really enjoyed the MegaTen games I've played in the past, but my backlog is growing incredibly large and I honestly don't know when I'll get around to playing it. The school life sim portion of the game sounds like it could be a fairly interesting little mechanic, too.

With the availability of Atlus' games these days, it's not like it'll be impossible to find a year down the road for normal retail price brand new (if not lower), but my compulsion to show a little retail love for the series outweighs my desire to wait-and-see

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The Persona series doesn't really have much in common with the Final Fantasy series, so that's not much of a frame of reference.

I'm not really sure why you're considering buying it in the first place. If I were you, I'd just play through Persona 2 first (and maybe the first Persona) and see how you feel about the series. If you REALLY love it, then sure, but if you're lukewarm on those, I don't think Persona 3 is gonna win you over. Persona 2 is regarded as the best of the three, and Persona 3 didn't go over that well in Japan. Most people are really turned off by the randomly-generated floors and the fact that's it's more of a dungeon crawler than a full, fleshed out RPG.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I dunno Fox. One of my friends imported Persona 3, an he loved it. And he hated Persona 2. I'm getting it because anything with "Shin Megami Tensei" is right for me! I've been sold ever since Nocturne.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The Persona series doesn't really have much in common with the Final Fantasy series, so that's not much of a frame of reference.

I'm not really sure why you're considering buying it in the first place. If I were you, I'd just play through Persona 2 first (and maybe the first Persona) and see how you feel about the series. If you REALLY love it, then sure, but if you're lukewarm on those, I don't think Persona 3 is gonna win you over. Persona 2 is regarded as the best of the three, and Persona 3 didn't go over that well in Japan. Most people are really turned off by the randomly-generated floors and the fact that's it's more of a dungeon crawler than a full, fleshed out RPG.
    But see, if I don't get it now, I'll never, EVER find it again. So I have to choose or live with eBay's insane sellers.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Atlus seems to print their games in at least slightly higher quantities than they used to, and every now and then something gets reprinted. The first Persona was fairly cheap for a very long time (only recently has it started to get pretty expensive), and the second Persona dropped like a rock after the reprint. At worst, you might end up having to pay the same price later on that you would had you bought it brand new, but I foresee the price only dropping for at least a year or two before any possible swing back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Try out SMT: Nocturne first. It has more similarities to Persona 3 than the first two Persona's do.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I own all the PS2 SMT games (except persona 3) and I also own Persona 1+2. Iplayed about 30 minutes worth of one and two then always got sidetracked with other shit to do. I did get a decent amount of ways into Noucturne and Nocturne I thought was mad fun. For me, I can't own Persona 1 and 2...and not complete the trilogy.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Remember guys, the SMT name is tacked onto both Digital Devil Saga games and Persona 3 to boost the sales. We probably only got the Actual SMT game (nocturne) because it had that one guy in it. They are quality games for sure, but be aware that in Japan they are very clearly branches off from the main SMT line, and will be different in gameplay. They share a lot of terminology and monsters and artistic style and whatnot, but they will all play differently.

With that said, if all you ever play is final fantsy, you should try it. FF is the number two series in Japan...SMT and it's related branches are number three. It'll be a lot different, but that is usually a good thing.

Besides, we all need to buy this game before someone "powerful" notices how you summon your persona in this game and tries to get it banned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Besides, we all need to buy this game before someone "powerful" notices how you summon your persona in this game and tries to get it banned.
    I've thought the same thing. It won't be banned, but it might make the national news. "ZOMG...Kids shooting themselves in the head!11!!"
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I've thought the same thing. It won't be banned, but it might make the national news. "ZOMG...Kids shooting themselves in the head!11!!"
    whoa whoa whoa. They shoot themselves in the head to summon the persona? that freakin' incredible. I can't remember seeing too many games where people shoot themselves. I want the game even more now just because that is freakin' original right there.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah ATLUS games aren't exactly hard to find anymore. And it seems to me sequals of PSOne RPGs that were hard to find and extremely popular are even easier to find. For example take Valkyrie Profile 2, or Suikoden 3-5. And even ATLUS is catching on that they need to reprint the expensive ebay resales, Disgaea anyone?

Plus Persona 3 is being marketed as a high profile game, I don't think you have to worry about passing it up now. Play Persona 2 again, see if you like it, and then continue the series.

Hell I loved Persona 2, and am looking forward to playing the sequal... but like you my backlog is pretty hefty. I'll probably wait on Persona 3 just becuase I don' need to spend the $50 right away, and it may even drop by the time I am ready to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If P3 didn't come with deluxe packaging I wouldn't worry about picking it up at launch, but it does. Most people can't take care of their games worth a damn, so add in all sorts of little extras and finding a copy with everything in MINT condition becomes much harder. I'm happy I bought Lunar 1 + 2 and Arc the Lad new, finding mint copies not missing any swag would give me a headache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile View Post
    If P3 didn't come with deluxe packaging I wouldn't worry about picking it up at launch, but it does. Most people can't take care of their games worth a damn, so add in all sorts of little extras and finding a copy with everything in MINT condition becomes much harder. I'm happy I bought Lunar 1 + 2 and Arc the Lad new, finding mint copies not missing any swag would give me a headache.
    That and places like GameStop open the packages and put stickers on the GODDAMN BOX ARGH.

If I don't get it now... I'll never get a complete copy.

Dammit, I wish I could find a demo or something!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just picked up a copy of the game. It has the hardcover artbook just laike Ar Tonelico and a soundtrack CD. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but I will tonight. They checked my ID at the store for it because "its rated mature and the kids shoot themselves in the head." I had to ask the guy to go out back to get me a copy cuz the shipment had just arrived and they weren't on shelves yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked it up as well. They didn't have any spare copies, only copies that had been preordered, so I hope those of you who didn't preorder don't have too hard a time finding copies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile View Post
    I just picked it up as well. They didn't have any spare copies, only copies that had been preordered, so I hope those of you who didn't preorder don't have too hard a time finding copies.
    absolutely, the only reason I got a copy is because they hadn't opened any of thier shipments yet. Listen to Promophile everybody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I think the strategy guide will be very hard to come by for this, and eventually, so will the game.

They're trying to market it, but honestly, there are just way too many heavy hitting titles coming out over the next month or two that will take away from the sales of this title.

I don't expect that it was going to be put out in huge numbers anyway, but they're niche games - they appeal to a specific type of audience (a subset of RPG gamers.)

I know what a beotch it is to get the Digital Devil Saga I Deluxe box set complete and in good condition, without paying more than it sold for at retail.

I'd rather pay the retail now (I already paid for the guide - and I never pay full price for guides), and get it over with. That way, I know my copy is in great condition, and complete, and I'll only end up paying what it would probably cost me to buy a used copy down the road.

And by the way, that's an excellent point about the "shooting in the head" thing.

This game is definitely earmarked for some controversy. Do yourself a favor - get it now, and hang on to it.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko View Post
    This game is definitely earmarked for some controversy. Do yourself a favor - get it now, and hang on to it.
    I'll probably go to Toys'R'Us and HOPE they stocked some copies. If they didn't, I'll just order it off Amazon.