Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Default Sega Mark I, II and III gamelist

I've been intrigued about something: According to my research, the Sega Mark III (aka the Sega Master System) was backward compatible with the Mark I and II. However, I couldn't find anywhere a list of games released for each of the consoles. I was wondering this because I suppose that some of the Mark I and II titles must have been released as SMS games, but which ones were they?

For example, I found out that Phantasy Star was originally released as a Mark II game.

Is there any Sega fansite (not in Japanese) that would have such a list?

*edit* According to a friend who lives in Japan, Phantasy Star isn't likely to be a Mark II game (contrary to what IGN has posted in their article about PSO). Sega does have such a list in Japanese (broken down by console, year, original price and part number)...
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 08-16-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there is such a thing as a Mark II game. I believe the Mark II was just a redesign of the Mark I. And Mark I games are pretty crude by late 80's standards, I think only a couple games were released as Mark I and Mark III titles, such as Penguin Adventure and maybe Flicky. There's a prequel for Kung Fu Kid on the Mark I, too.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably the reason you're not having any luck finding a list of Mark I games is because there really wasn't any such system. The "Mark I" was actually the SG-1000, so try searching for that and you should find a number of lists.

Like blue lander said, the Mark II wasn't really a system either, it was just a redesign of the SG-1000. It was called tghe SG-1000 Mark II, you see? And in fact, the Mark III is something like the SG-1000 Mark III, though by then they'd dropped the SG-1000 from the title.

Later, Sega released an updated Mark III in Japan that included some of the optional devices built in. They should have called that the Mark IV, but of course the called it the Master System forever confusing the world since while it does look like the Western Master System, the Western Master System is actually internally the same as the Mark III and doesn't include all the built in goodies of the Japanese Master System.

...word is bondage...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Interesting. By checking out the gamelist for the Mark I and II on Sega's site I do see that the titles are the same (however, the webpages have a different intro copy...

http://www.sega.co.jp/archive/segahard/sg1000/soft.html
    http://www.sega.co.jp/archive/segaha...00_2/soft.html

I also found a list on a French site, alphabetically listed: http://www.uvlist.net/fr/search?sort...ar2=&fplat=107

BTW, were the Mark II and III cards compatible with the Sega Master System? Was there a region lock on the SMS for the cards, or was it possible to use a Japanese card on a North-American SMS?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can play Mark I and III cards on a US Sega Master System if you bypass the boot BIOS or if you install a multibios. You can't play Mark I or III cartridges on a Sega Master System without an adapter and removing/replacing the BIOS. And if you play a Mark III game with FM sound on a US SMS, you'll only get the non-FM soundtrack. You can play Mark III cards on a US Power Base Converter the same way, but you can't play Mark I anything on a US Power Base Converter.
    Last edited by blue lander; 08-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SG-1000 games are listed in the DP online rarity guide. Here's a list of Mark III games and their US names:

http://smspower.org/museum/lists/smsallj.txt

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I know I always get confused about the compatibility of SC/SG games. If I have a system that plays SC/SG 1000 carts, I can play the original SC/SG 1000 releases but not the Mark III releases, correct?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post
    I know I always get confused about the compatibility of SC/SG games. If I have a system that plays SC/SG 1000 carts, I can play the original SC/SG 1000 releases but not the Mark III releases, correct?
    Unless your "system that plays SC/SG-1000 carts" is a Mark III (or Master System or Gam*Boy), then no, it can't play Mark III carts.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    And if you play a Mark III game with FM sound on a US SMS, you'll only get the non-FM soundtrack.
    Also, with the gender adapter plugged to a JP SMS you can get the FM sounds from the U.S or Euro cartridges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DP's listings for both the SG-1000 & Mark III should both be bang up-to-date bar a couple of minor tweaks I'll be submitting in the next week or two (including the first complete list of European SG games anywhere on the net!). Mark III games are listed under Non-US Releases in the Master System section.
    Space permitting, they'll both be included in the forthcoming DP Classic book too.

Oh, and those official Sega lists include a couple of SC-3000 titles that I'm pretty sure don't actually exist (they're in the Rumor Mill here).
    Last edited by anagrama; 08-17-2007 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post

Oh, and to clarify (or possibly further confuse!) this:

Either model of SG-1000 [or the Othello Multivision or Taiwanese Aaronix system] will play SG-1000 games (anything with a G-xxx part number), but not the educational SC-3000 carts (those with an E-xxx part number) or SC-3000 Basic carts (B-xx)

Plug an SK-1100 keyboard into either model of SG-1000 and you can also play the E-xxx educational carts, but not the SC-3000 Basic carts. However, 3 SK-1100-specific Basic carts (B-21, B-41 & B-51) were released for use with an SG-1000/SK-1100 combo.

An SC-3000 (or SC-3000H) computer will play all SG-1000/SC-3000 carts EXCEPT for the 3 SK-1100 Basic carts.

A Mark III [or Japanese Master System or Samsumg Gam*Boy] will play all Mark III games and (G-xxx) SG-1000 games, but not the educational (E-xxx) or Basic (B-xx) carts.

Again, an SK-1100 can be plugged into a Mark III [but not a JP SMS or Gam*Boy] to play the E-xxx educational carts.

Oh, and SG-1000 MyCards (the blue ones) will play on any SG-1000 or SC-3000 through a CardCatcher, or on a Mark III/JP SMS. Mark III MyCards (the red ones) will only play on a Mark III or JP SMS.

Simple, right? In case anyone's still confused, here's a handy table:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    I think only a couple games were released as Mark I and Mark III titles, such as Penguin Adventure and maybe Flicky. There's a prequel for Kung Fu Kid on the Mark I, too.
    That's Penguin Land rather than Penguin Adventure, and Flicky is just on the SG-1000 & Genesis.
    Bank Panic, Wonderboy & Ninja Princess/The Ninja also appear on both the SG-1000 & SMS. Also, the JP/EU SMS Great Soccer card (a different game to the US Great Soccer) is a slightly re-jigged version of the SG Champion Soccer.
    Last edited by anagrama; 08-17-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama View Post
    Oh, and to clarify (or possibly further confuse!) this:

Either model of SG-1000 [or the Othello Multivision or Taiwanese Aaronix system] will play SG-1000 games (anything with a G-xxx part number), but not the educational SC-3000 carts (those with an E-xxx part number) or SC-3000 Basic carts (B-xx)

Plug an SK-1100 keyboard into either model of SG-1000 and you can also play the E-xxx educational carts, but not the SC-3000 Basic carts. However, 3 SK-1100-specific Basic carts (B-21, B-41 & B-51) were released for use with an SG-1000/SK-1100 combo.

An SC-3000 (or SC-3000H) computer will play all SG-1000/SC-3000 carts EXCEPT for the 3 SK-1100 Basic carts.

A Mark III [or Japanese Master System or Samsumg Gam*Boy] will play all Mark III games and (G-xxx) SG-1000 games, but not the educational (E-xxx) or Basic (B-xx) carts.

Again, an SK-1100 can be plugged into a Mark III [but not a JP SMS or Gam*Boy] to play the E-xxx educational carts.

Oh, and SG-1000 MyCards (the blue ones) will play on any SG-1000 or SC-3000 through a CardCatcher, or on a Mark III/JP SMS. Mark III MyCards (the red ones) will only play on a Mark III or JP SMS.

Simple, right? In case anyone's still confused, here's a handy table:

Superbly put, as ever. Nice chart by the way. It comes in handy for all of us interested in the materia.