Thread: Wii for Dummies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii for Dummies

Ok here's my question(s) so please bear with me.

My wife and I are thinking about getting a Wii before the end of the year (probably as a mutual birthday present). If and when we decide to get the Wii would you recommend we purchase to go along with it? Do we need to pick up an extra controller? What would be a good game (or two) to pick up to get us started? Memory cards?

Ideally we would like to play some fun games together, but I also would indulge in a good sports game, a good adventure game, and I'm also intrigued with the concept of the Virtual Console.

In addition, I have a Gamecube library already and it is stocked with memory cards and controllers. Are all games compatible on Wii? Can I use my old GC memory cards? What about the wireless Firebird controller?

And finally, DVD functionality? Does it have ability to play DVD's? What is the compatibility like if it does?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I figured this would be THE forum to pose such a series of questions.
    Kevin
    Blog | Twitter | Twitch

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Grab Wii Play with the machine. Extra Wiimote+game=$50. Probably should grab an extra nunchuk as well to compliment the Wiimote. Game-wise, Madden is pretty fun, as well as Resident Evil 4, Zelda, Mario Party 8 and Mario Strikers. Give some a rent to see what you like.

All games are compatible with the Wii. Memory cards are usable for GCN games. Not quite sure about the Firebird controller. Did you mean Wavebird(the official Nintendo one)? It works for Virtual Console games as well as Cube games, too. No Game Boy Player or anything that uses the broadband adapter, though.

No DVD playback.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will try and answer your questions:

You should most definitely pick up at least one extra controller. The Wii only comes with a single controller, and while some of the games on Wii sports will still allow multiplayer by simply handing the single controller to the next person, it is best to have two.

As for memory cards. The Wii includes 512mb of flash ram space to store stuff. What that means is that the Wii basically has several thousand blocks of memory built into it to save games and store any downloaded content. I did pick up an extra 2gb SD card for my Wii. But thus far it is basically useless. The Wii games do not yet have the ability to access the SD card slot for saving games so it is really only used more for backing up anything you downloaded to the Wii.

Far as I know the Wii is 100% compatible with all Cube games. So you shouldn't have any trouble at all in that regard. The Wii includes 4 cube controller ports for Cube gaming and also two Cube memory ports to use Cube memory cards in as well. I only have and use Nintendo 1st party memory cards in my Wii and haven't had any issues. But I've heard reports of people with 3rd party memory cards from Madcatz..etc having problems using them in the Wii. Also you can use Nintendos Wavebird controller just fine in the Wii.

DVD functionality? Here you are out of luck. The Wii doesn't have the ability as yet to play DVDs. Not sure if it will ever be added. There was talk not long after the Wii was released last November of Nintendo planning a 2nd revision of the Wii that would include DVD playback. But this was only to be released in Japan and there wasn't any talk about a US release of this version of the Wii. However, most seem to agree that since the Wii is using a DVD-rom drive the physical aspects needed to play DVDs is there. The Wii just needs software added to be able to access and play them. So perhaps a future download might be possible for this for a fee from Nintendo.

As for some games to pickup? That depends on what games you really intend to play. The Wii doesn't really have any hardcore gaming type games for it yet except Zelda. But if you have the Cube version then there isn't much point in getting it again for the Wii honestly.

But the games I would recommend are the following:

Zelda = Excellent adventuring to be had here.
    Elebits = Lots of fun, unique game and really shows off the Wii-remote abilities.
    Trauma Center: SO = Basically a redone version of the DS game with a few more missions as it were. But great use of the remote once again!
    Sonic: Secret Rings = Probably the Best 3D Sonic yet gameplay wise. Good graphics for a Wii game thus far.
    Super Paper Mario = This is an excellent game as well that is easy to play.

Honorable mentions would be Harry Potter:OOTP for Wii as I really enjoyed playing that one and thought it was pretty impressive graphically. Also, I would recommend Super Swing Golf. It doesn't play too much like traditional golf but I think it controls better than the Golf in Wii Sports, and really enjoy the ease of play and variety of courses it has to offer.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the recommendation to buy Wii Play. You get your second remote included, which makes the game a cost of $12 or so. It's a good buy.

Also pick up a second Nunchuk to pair with that remote, and a Wii Points card to buy the Internet browser functionality (we use it a lot more than I expected) and a couple of Virtual Console games.

That's what we did, then we started renting a game here and there to explore the library. We've found Super Paper Mario, Zelda:TP, Excite Truck, and Elebits to be good games, and I enjoy Wii Madden (including the new '08 version) quite a bit.

Hope that helps!
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Games:
    Wii Play
    Excite Truck
    Zelda (if you haven't played GC)
    Rayman Raving Rabids
    Elebits (4 player fun!)
    Mario Strikers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Not quite sure about the Firebird controller. Did you mean Wavebird(the official Nintendo one)?
    Yes, sorry about that. I meant Wavebird. Was I thinking about cars at the moment I typed that???
    Kevin
    Blog | Twitter | Twitch

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be warned. Alot of people I talk to locally think that the classic controller that plugs into the Wiimote will work with GC games while it doesn't. Another misconception I come across is that GC games can save to the internal system memory and SD cards but, again, no dice.

I'd add Super Monkey Ball to the game list as well. Rentals are a great way to find your way on a new system. There are even some online rental sites where for a monthly fee you could go through the library and play any game. Having a service like this would be better IMO than dropping $5+ per game rental or paying full retail to own a game that you hate and won't play. You can either drop the subscription or rent for a different console after you check out the Wii games. I can't recommend a service but, I'm sure someone else here can with an informed opinion to boot.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-17-2007 at 03:39 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    alxbly
    PSN
    alxbly

Seems like most of your questions have been answered. There's been a few recommendations for Wii Play... I wouldn't recommend that game at all. It's dull, there's only a few of the minigames that are worth playing and even then the fun is short-lived. I've had Wii Play for over six months, it's was played twice shortly after I bought it and now it just gathers dust. I now wish I'd saved the extra cash that Wii Play cost and put it towards an additional nun-chuk.

My advice... rent Wii Play first to see what you think of the games; if you like them, get it and if not then save the cash for something (anything) better.
    Xbox Live: alxbly | PSN: alxbly | Wii friend code: 2326 4589 7536 6941

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The lack of DVD playback is kind of disappointing, but the system can't even play CD's :/

Personally, I've found Super Paper Mario and Mario Party 8 to be horribly underwhelming, and I couldn't recommend paying full price for either of them.

Wii Play is a solid bet because of the controller.

Personally, I like Rayman, Excite Truck, SSX Blur, and Zelda. Those will keep you occupied for quite some time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

I loved Super paper Mario? But anyway...

Regardless of how Wii Play is, it does come with an extra controller, so it's worth the money.

I would suggest getting a nunchuck controller now, otherwise when the next big multiplayer game to use nunchucks comes out, they'll be in short supply.

I would recommend against getting a points card, simply because theres nothing that you can't find on the internet thats on the VC. It doesn't really have anything amazing right now...

To be honest, I felt a bit underwhelmed after I beat Zelda. You'll love it while you play it, but then once you beat it you'll most likely never go back to it.

I haven't played it myself, but I heard that the new Mario Strikers game is pretty decent, much better than the other sports games on the Wii.

Of course, Metriod Prime 3: Corruption is coming out later this month. Also, if your a fan of fighting games, Guilty Gear Accent Core is also coming out later this month. As far as GG goes, I'm pretty sure it's either Gamecube or Classic controller compatible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendork View Post
    What would be a good game (or two) to pick up to get us started? ... Ideally we would like to play some fun games together, but I also would indulge in a good sports game, a good adventure game, and I'm also intrigued with the concept of the Virtual Console.
    I don't know what your favorite series are or what types of games you enjoy, but these are the ten highest rated Wii games so far:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
    Super Paper Mario
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
    Madden NFL '08
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion
    The Godfather: Blackhand Edition
    Mario Strikers Charged
    Rayman Raving Rabbids
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07

Also worth checking out:

Excite Truck
    Elebits
    SSX Blur
    Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
    Scarface: The World is Yours
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
    Chicken Little: Ace in Action
    Super Swing Golf
    Call of Duty 3
    Need for Speed Carbon
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
    Mortal Kombat: Armageddon

The two of you should have no problem finding fun games to play.