Thread: broken laptop screen

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default broken laptop screen

I'm not really sure where to put this so I apologize in advance if this shouldn't be here.

I also realize this isn't a computer forum but this is the only forum I'm registered at (seriously) & really have no idea where to start when it comes to computer forums.

I bought this cheap laptop at Wal-Mart about two years ago. Some off- brand called "Balance". It's horribly underpowered, very little ram, & couldn't run games that came out three years ago. However since I'm not a pc gamer I could care less. It holds my music & surfs the internet just fine.

About a year into owning it however the screen started to crack around the bottom edges. It's since gotten worse & now the screen will barely hold it's self up anymore. Not a big deal but I'm worried that in time this is going to get so bad that the screen will break off. It feels like that whenever I close it. At this point it's not even portable anymore. But it performs perfectly fine otherwise (at least for me). What I'm wondering & I'm sure this is a stupid question is can you hook the base up to a moniter? I don't wan't to invest in a new computer. I don't need a portable computer. Hell, it's hooked up now like a desktop.

Anyways, just wondering.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

sure you can hook it up to a desktop montior just use the hookups or get a docking station

Fixing/replacing that could run you 400 bucks with or without labor though. I;ve replaced a few of them its not to hard just not cheap

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, either try and get a monitor for free from some one, or just buy a new laptop. Screens and power cables are the normally the number one things to go on laptops, and in the screens case, it is way too expensive to repair/replace.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're saying that the hinges are broken and not the actual LCD, you should be able to rig up a fix to reinforce it. Here's some writeups people have done for all kinds of laptop screen fixes: http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_lcd_display.html .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah the screen's fine. Just barely holding on anymore. Hell, I still use it occasionally to watch dvds that my ps2 refuses to play. I'll look into fixing it with those links.

Thanks everybody.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you could get pictures up, I may be able to give you a quick fix, but it wouldn't be near fully fuctional. I rigged my friends with some duct tape and it lasted him a few months more.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v