Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: article: wii about to be #1 in market share any day

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default article: wii about to be #1 in market share any day

Interesting article. Looks like nintendo is about to be back on top after over a decade.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41780

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Where in the hell is Nintendo selling these Wii's? I still haven't seen any in stores in months.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Where in the hell is Nintendo selling these Wii's? I still haven't seen any in stores in months.
    I agree.

I find that article very hard to believe. Especially since the game selection is absolutely horrendous, and last month, they were only up to something like 6.8 million sold worldwide.

And with Halo 3, Bioshock, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata due in the next few weeks and months, and the new, smaller, chips coming soon. The 360 will probably pick up some more steam again, shortly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I'm positive that kids still have thier parents searching for them, and since the parents are buying the games, they don't care that the kids only have Wii sports (if it's still included) or 1 game to go with the system they buy extra.

I haven't seen a Wii since a few weeks before christmas, when I worked at a game store

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I agree.

I find that article very hard to believe. Especially since the game selection is absolutely horrendous, and last month, they were only up to something like 6.8 million sold worldwide.

And with Halo 3, Bioshock, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata due in the next few weeks and months, and the new, smaller, chips coming soon. The 360 will probably pick up some more steam again, shortly.
    It's totally spot on when you actually do see the shipments come in. Our store gets 30 - 60 per shipment and they are GONE within a few hours at the most. Our District Warehouse had 3000+ of these units about 2 weeks ago and they've already distributed out enough to be out of stock once again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I agree.

I think you're confusing hardware sales with software sales. While the Wii may be close to number one in hardware, they're dead last in software sales. Basically, people are buying it for parties to play Wii Sports and the like.

Personally, I think the Wii is this generation's Pong machine. It's bought, pulled out for parties, and spends most of its time gathering dust. And I love Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Personally, I think the Wii is this generation's Pong machine. It's bought, pulled out for parties, and spends most of its time gathering dust. And I love Nintendo.

Actually, that's not too bad a comparison....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The software comment catches my eye...it's just the opposite for me. I've played the Wii religiously since launch (Wii Sports, Zelda, Excite Truck, Elebits, Red Steel, Strikers, Metroid next week...) but I just bought my Elite, and truth be told, there's like 3, maybe 4 physical games tops that I want for it, within the next year. The rest is all Live arcade games that I'm enjoying.

I really, really don't understand where all the hate is coming from for the Wii library.

I can however, back up the Wii selling comment. Since launch, our last shipment of Wiis, about 9 total last week, was the first shipment since kast year that did not sell out coming off the UPS truck. We actually had them for a few days. Once people found out, boom! gone.

We've had a TON of 360s coming in via trade-ins, and PS3s....well....yeah.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree.

you know what, I'm sick of people with atitudes like yours. The wii has been out for less than 1 year yet you still bitch about the lack of software.

How long has the Xbox 360 been out before those games you just named were released? 2-3 years?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post

I really, really don't understand where all the hate is coming from for the Wii library.
    Well, they've turned the industry upside down the last couple years.. hence the hate I guess.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I think you're confusing hardware sales with software sales. While the Wii may be close to number one in hardware, they're dead last in software sales. Basically, people are buying it for parties to play Wii Sports and the like.

Well, where are you getting that from? From what I've read the ps3 has a lower attach rate, and obviously a way lower number from total software sold.

Besides, looking at attach rate without considering the time the consoles has been on the market is assinine anyway.
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 08-17-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Those numbers aren't just for the US, they're for the whole world. And I can kinda understand the numbers, with the 360's reliability problems, the PS3's high price, and the Wii's low price in comparison. I also understand what people have said about the Wii's library. I've been debating getting one since it's launch, but there's not too many titles that really compel me to spend the money. I don't care about Zelda or Mario, don't like mini-game compilations, and have no interest in Resident Evil or Manhunt. I especially don't want to play any licensed children's movie/TV show based titles. In the end, that doesn't leave a whole lot of really good games. I'm still at the 'wait and see' level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    you know what, I'm sick of people with atitudes like yours. The wii has been out for less than 1 year yet you still bitch about the lack of software.

How long has the Xbox 360 been out before those games you just named were released? 2-3 years?
    Why?

Because I want a game good enough to justify my $250 purchase?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why?

Because I want a game good enough to justify my $250 purchase?
    See Previous Entry:

Wii Sports, Zelda, Excite Truck, Elebits, Red Steel, Strikers, Metroid next week...)

See also:

Rayman Raving Rabbids, Metal Slug Anthology (With GC controller), Big Brain Academy, Super Paper Mario....

And oh....half the virtual console....

But then I didn't care for Gears of War, so what do I know?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was actually contemplating selling the Wii, after finishing Super Paper Mario I don't do a damn thing with it. But then I saw the video for Star Soldier R. There may be hope yet.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I was actually contemplating selling the Wii, after finishing Super Paper Mario I don't do a damn thing with it. But then I saw the video for Star Soldier R. There may be hope yet.
    why the heck did you link to a post that had a link to some place else? confusing.

metroids comming out soon, paper mario is pretty good, i like Red Steel and Zelda was on equal terms of paper mario. mnario kart will be arround some time after metroid so by the time i finish it i will have something else to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post

Please. It's been nine months already. Aside from the three big Nintendo titles (SSBM, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy), can you name ONE major 3rd party title coming for the Wii in the fourth quarter? I'm sick of people making excuses for the Wii's lackluster library. "They underestimated how well it would sell!" "Making games for the Wiimote takes time!" I've heard so many, I've lost count. Where are the high profile 3rd party games?

The 360's first year sucked, that much is true; however, it wasn't being touted as the biggest "innovation" in gaming in years, and it didn't have any other next gen consoles with which to compete. The Wii has to go against an established Xbox 360 and a hype-heavy PS3. Mini games and GC ports aren't going to cut it. Eventually people are going to tire of the same old crap and want something "innovative," you know, that word that's been the banner of the Wii since launch?

The fact of the matter is that this holiday season is going to hurt Nintendo if the supply shortage continues. The 360 has some major guns ready, and the PS3's price drop will help make up for it's slow but steady influx of titles. The Wii is a totally different story. If it doesn't say "Nintendo" on the box, you're not going to get any major 3rd party titles save for perhaps NIGHTS (an unhyped sequel to a niche title on a 3rd place console) until 2008.

I know I'm going to enjoy the hell out of Nintendo's offerings (I always do), but I'm quite disappointed with how slow other publishers have been to embrace the Wii. 3rd party support is supposedly stronger than ever, but the games are nowhere to be seen. When 2007 Sega is your best 3rd party publisher, something's definitely wrong.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-17-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Please. It's been nine months already. Aside from the three big Nintendo titles (SSBM, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy), can you name ONE major 3rd party title coming for the Wii in the fourth quarter? I'm sick of people making excuses for the Wii's lackluster library. "They underestimated how well it would sell!" "Making games for the Wiimote takes time!" I've heard so many, I've lost count. Where are the high profile 3rd party games?
    no more heroes will hopefully be out this holiday season, it looks amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    See Previous Entry:

Wii Sports, Zelda, Excite Truck, Elebits, Red Steel, Strikers, Metroid next week...)

See also:

Rayman Raving Rabbids, Metal Slug Anthology (With GC controller), Big Brain Academy, Super Paper Mario....

And oh....half the virtual console....

But then I didn't care for Gears of War, so what do I know?
    Out of the top row, of all those games, I only enjoyed Elebits. Got sick of Zelda in 3 days. Excite Truck is so-so. Red Steel was a joke, Super Paper Mario got sick of in 2 days. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is the only game that kept me from selling the thing. I never got to play it last gen.

I've only bought maybe 5 VC games. I went on strike until Nintendo released Metroid last week. And the only game after Super Metroid I'd be interested in would be Bionic Commando, and Blaster Master.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What happened to Operation Hammer (not sure of that's the name)? It was looking pretty cool and then dropped off the radar.