Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FF7 was destined for the Sega Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    Imagine a blurry ass, overly 3D, shitty music FFVII on the N64…yuck. It was a gift to gamers that FFVII came out on the PS1 and was done correctly.
    Probably the pretty cutscenes would have taken a major hit (see Resident Evil 2), but why would it be any more "overly 3D" and with bad music? The music, at least, is nothing more than MIDI and takes up a titchy amount of space.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I wonder why Square never gave Sega systems any love. I may be incorrect but was there ever a single Square title on any Sega system (possibly a oddball SMS title or somthing)?
    Bahamut Lagoon was a MegaDrive title, then remade for Super Famicom years later.

Square's only Sega title ever released.

I remember reading back in 1999, that Square was considering porting Final Fantasy VIII to Dreamcast after the PSX original was released. Obviously a false rumor, but an interesting one nonetheless.
    Last edited by Cloud121; 08-24-2007 at 07:50 AM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Square has always gone with the highest performing consoles, which to that time had been the NES and SNES.
    The NES is in no way the "highest performing" console. The Sega MS runs circles around it with graphics almost 16-bit in quality. (IMHO)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Wait a sec here. Thank god FFVII was never released on a Sega console? Do you not think an enhanced version of the original could've been released on the Dreamcast and been damn good?
    Since the Dreamcast did not exist in 1996, Final Fantasy 7 would have been destined for Sega Saturn instead. (I think Heybtm feels the Saturn is not as technically-advanced as the PS1, and thus would do a lousy job with FF7.)

Imagine a blurry ass, overly 3D, shitty music FFVII on the N64…yuck. It was a gift to gamers that FFVII came out on the PS1 and was done correctly.
    When I imagine Final Fantasy 7 on N64, I imagine a cross between FF6 (the best in the series), and Zelda Ocarina of Time (a masterpiece of graphics and music).

Basically I imagine a 3D FF6 with OOT's quality...

...something beautiful.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 08-24-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Bahamut Lagoon was a MegaDrive title, then remade for Super Famicom years later.
    Nope. There's a Mega Drive strategy/RPG called Bahamut Senki, but it's a Sega game; Square had nothing to do with it.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By the way, do any of the Final Fantasy games run on that incomplete leaked version of Bleemcast?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

My memory is less than perfect but I remember the ”next Final Fantasy title” being announced for the N64 (it was when the N64 was still the Project Reality/Ultra 64 and at the time, FFVII wasn’t FFVII yet…it was just the “next” FF title).

Square and Nintendo started to have bad blood because of the N64’s cart format. Supposedly the next FF was too large and when a “make it CD or else” statement was handed to the big N by Square, Nintendo told them to take a hike. Sony welcomed them with open arms and the 3 CD, more adult themed FFVII was born from the ashes of the N64 project. That bad blood has lasted years, Nintendo is still a distant 2nd when it comes to square titles. The big ones still belong to Sony.

Um... Things have changed since the Squeenix merger. The next Dragon Quest is on the DS, the GBA and DS got Final Fantasy remakes and ports...

It's not the same anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

That's a pretty interesting article on Lost Levels. This image, though:

Doesn't seem to match what they say. They say the demo features Locke, Shadow, and Terra. The girl on the right doesn't really look like Terra, to me. It looks more like Celes, because of the hair, but even then, that's not exactly like anything Celes wears. Who is it?
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It's Terra. Yoshitaka Amano's design sketches featured Terra with blond / platinum blond hair.

http://www.finalfantasytr.com/artwork/amano-ff6.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    When I imagine Final Fantasy 7 on N64, I imagine a cross between FF6 (the best in the series), and Zelda Ocarina of Time (a masterpiece of graphics and music).

Basically I imagine a 3D FF6 with OOT's quality...

...something beautiful.
    I still think it would have been shitty. I don’t like the 3D Zelda titles (although Windwaker is great) and the demo looked like shit. If it had been on the N64 the richly detailed hand drawn backgrounds would have been more than likely gone. On top of that, the 1.5Gb (or close to it…3 CD’s) that the game took up simply couldn’t have been realized on a N64 cart. It would have been much smaller in scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Um... Things have changed since the Squeenix merger. The next Dragon Quest is on the DS, the GBA and DS got Final Fantasy remakes and ports...

It's not the same anymore.
    Thanks for proving my point further. I said Nintendo is still a distant 2nd to Sony when it comes to Square releases and you're helping me prove my point. Nintendo systems do see Square titles but they are mostly for their handheld units and never the "big" releases like DQ8 or FFX/XII/...that stuff goes to Sony.

Note the next FF being on the PS3 and NOT the Wii...

For the time being, Nintendo will get the smaller titles and it all stems back to the N64 incident.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    It's Terra. Yoshitaka Amano's design sketches featured Terra with blond / platinum blond hair.

http://www.finalfantasytr.com/artwork/amano-ff6.htm
    Ah, thanks. I'd forgotten the concept art was different (was going off in-game graphics).
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for proving my point further. I said Nintendo is still a distant 2nd to Sony when it comes to Square releases and you're helping me prove my point. Nintendo systems do see Square titles but they are mostly for their handheld units and never the "big" releases like DQ8 or FFX/XII/...that stuff goes to Sony.

Note the next FF being on the PS3 and NOT the Wii...

For the time being, Nintendo will get the smaller titles and it all stems back to the N64 incident.

Um, Dragon Quest IX (9) is being release exclusively on the DS. That is a big title, is it not?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
    Um, Dragon Quest IX (9) is being release exclusively on the DS. That is a big title, is it not?
    Its being released on the DS because that has by far the largest install base in Japan of new systems right now. Dragon Quest in Japan is like Madden here. Thats about as big a game as it gets for Japan.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Since the Dreamcast did not exist in 1996, Final Fantasy 7 would have been destined for Sega Saturn instead. (I think Heybtm feels the Saturn is not as technically-advanced as the PS1, and thus would do a lousy job with FF7.
    Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the Dreamcast came out in 99 and that FFVII was released in 96. My point was that a port of FFVII, or even enhanced version, could have been made for the Dreamcast once it was released had Square decided to make the DC its foray into Sega consoles.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was always under the impression that the Final Fantasy 3D demo was just a concept demo and had nothing to do with N64.

On another note, although I doubt there were ever plans for a Final Fantasy on Saturn, there was this little game called Dragon Quest VII that was to be released for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
    Sure, bit you’re still talking about a handheld. When was the last time a big name title was released on a Nintendo home console?

Answer…the SNES. Although Crystal Chronicles was a GC title, it was in no way a huge release….nothing close to what FFX/X-2/XII was or how big the newly announced FFXIII will be.

Why do I bother, obviously many of you are like talking to a brick wall…you want to think that the Square/Nintendo relationship is all patched up and what it was back in the early 90’s, suit yourself.

Smokehouse out…

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, bit you’re still talking about a handheld. When was the last time a big name title was released on a Nintendo home console?

Answer…the SNES. Although Crystal Chronicles was a GC title, it was in no way a huge release….nothing close to what FFX/X-2/XII was or how big the newly announced FFXIII will be.

Why do I bother, obviously many of you are like talking to a brick wall…you want to think that the Square/Nintendo relationship is all patched up and what it was back in the early 90’s, suit yourself.

Smokehouse out…

I was simply going by what you yourself said. You said that there was no big Square titles coming to any Nintendo system, other than ports and remakes.

I just stated that DQIX was a DS exclusive. The DS is a system and it is a major release.

You said nothing about major releases on a home console specifically.

And I also didn't say that their relationship was fully patched up.

But that's nice, change your conversation and quit as soon as you've realised your mistake.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don’t like the 3D Zelda titles (although Windwaker is great)
    (shocked look). You don't like Ocarina of Time? That was a masterpiece. Great story; great puzzles; great music.

(And Windwaker was too short. Like a half-game instead of a full game.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the Dreamcast came out in 99 and that FFVII was released in 96. My point was that a port of FFVII, or even enhanced version, could have been made for the Dreamcast
    Even if FF7 was released for the dreamcast, it's doubtful it would be enhanced. It would probably be like the IBM-PC version which is a near-direct port of the PS1 game using the same models & blurry textures.

At least in the N64 Concept Test they look like real people & not walking Lego blocks! (That's the major flaw with the ps1 - lack of polygons created poor-looking 3d - the N64 had the advantage in that department with characters that had rounded body parts that looked real.)
    <---walking Lego blocks
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 08-31-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyfried View Post
    FORGERY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, in a few years Q-Gears will probably be finished, no doubt heralding source ports of FF7 to every device imaginable.
    http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/

(But then, Saturn homebrewing doesn't seem to be particularly popular.)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(shocked look). You don't like Ocarina of Time? That was a masterpiece. Great story; great puzzles; great music.
    Subjective. Personally I didn't think OoT excelled in any of those things except maybe the music, though IMO the game itself was an improvement over Link's Awakening.