Thread: Anyone working on a homebrew game?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone working on a homebrew game?

I'm wondering if anyone's working on any cool homebrew games?

I'm working on a football game right now. I'll post screenshots soon, once I get a little further along.

Jeff.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm working on a psychedelic shoot-em-up that runs off of your MP3 collection. I haven't touched it in a while, but i'll eventually finish it. I'll probably port it over to the 360 when all is said and done.

details here:

http://gamerhistory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually got a book a few days ago about XNA but from what I've read from the Amazon reviews the book isn't all that great. Hopefully, it'll help me a little. I've been thinking of doing a Metroid style side-scroller game but I need to find an artist that can do 3d models which I haven't found yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started working on a game/project a while ago called Sol (named after the musical note).

The basic concept is that the world has lost its color and beauty due to an immense catastrophe of unknown origin, and you must wonder the (initially completely silent and displayed in black and white) world in order to find some so-called "sound sources". With every sound source you pick up/activate, a certain sound is returned to the background music and another color is restored to the world. The aim is to solve puzzles, fight enemies and explore the levels until all sound sources are collected. Upon doing so, the specific level/world is restored to its former full-color glory, and the main exit opens allowing you to proceed to the next level. So that's pretty much the basic premise of the game: to slowly restore life and harmony to the world through the beauty of music.

In its current state it's a very simple FPS, but I hope to expand it to a FPS/RPG/Adventure as soon as I find a chance. It was written using VC++, OpenGL and SDL, and it utilizes techniques such as cel-shading, dynamic lighting, terrain following, collision detection etc... If you're interested in checking it out, I've uploaded a very short gameplay video which you can download here. Also, for more info on the game's mechanics and design check out the game's (severely outdated) blog: http://hkrueger.wordpress.com/.

All the things I mention in the "progress" section of the blog have obviously been achieved since then, along with a few more touches as well. Unfortunately the actual project hasn't seen much progress recently either. The thing is, I recently moved to Japan in hope of finding work as a coder in the video games industry, but I've been too busy learning the language, studying and riding my new bike to do much programming so far... Ironic eh? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zackyh, I can do 3d models, and might be interested in helping you out. if you're really interested in working on something send me the details and we'll go from there.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    zackyh, I can do 3d models, and might be interested in helping you out. if you're really interested in working on something send me the details and we'll go from there.
    Cool, I sent a private message with some details. Have any examples of your work?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess Carl didn't care much for the idea. Hey, if anyone here can do 3d models or concept art that would be cool. I know two musicians and I know a programmer who is good at C# so I have that covered. I know a little C, VB, and Java. Definitely need to learn C# and I honestly haven't done any game programming. Mostly what I've learned from programming books is working with databases. My friend has, though, so maybe he can give me some pointers.