Thread: Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Different versions?

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Different versions?

I just came back from a GameStop store here in the Bay Area and was surprised to find out that "Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" for the PS2 has finally been re-released as a "Greatest Hits" title.

The part that surprises me even more was that this GH version was now touting a new little text bar under the 'Ultimate Alliance' logo which says "Special Edition", along with another orange colored bar at the bottom of the front artwork stating "Includes Bonus Disc".

It turns out that this GH version of MUA also includes a DVD that has a few things on it: (text taken directly from the back cover artwork)

----------------------------------------
    SPECIAL BONUS DVD

* Behind The Scenes Videos - "Creating The Alliance", "The Ink to Game Process", "The Ultimate Game" and "The Super Heroes of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

* Awesome collection of trailers
    ----------------------------------------

Personally, I'm a sucker when it comes to having a choice between a 'special' edition of a movie, game, action figure or almost any other collectable product and since I didn't have any other versions of MUA, I picked this GH version up, especially since it was only $19.99+ tax.

My question is this:

How many different versions of the game are there for all the different consoles?

To be specific, I know that the game is available on the PC, PS2, PS3, XBox, X360, Wii, PSP and GBA, but what I really want to know is what versions, (like a 'special' edition) were made and released.

I know of the following differences....

- PS2 -

Original Release (plain, nothing else except the game)

Greatest Hits Version / Special Edition (different cover artwork; addition of the red "GH" banner as well as the addition of the 'Special Edition' and 'Includes Bonus DVD' text).

Also includes a bonus DVD.

- X360 -

Original Release (once again, plain, nothing else except the game)

Gold Edition -

Different cover artwork, which now features the new character additions in place of the original Marvel Super Heroes on the standard edition - Magneto replaces Elektra, Cyclops replaces Iron Man, The Hulk replaces Thor and Venom replaces Ghost Rider.

Includes 8 new Marvel Universe Characters ; Heroes: Incredible Hulk, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Hawkeye. For the first time, include Villains into your team: Venom, Magneto, Dr. Doom and Sabretooth.

12 new XBox live Achievements for a total of 250 additional Gamerscore points

I think it's cool that they're doing this stuff, considering that most people wouldn't buy a game a second time around, but if there are more features or even a 2nd disc added to the mix, the company can only fatten their wallets a bit more.

Any other versions out there?
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a variant for the original XBOX version which was an exclusive for Target. It includes Daredevil as an unlockable character.

There are also variants for the XBOX 360:

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Gamestop/EB exclusive: "Bonus Collectible Poster Inside") Insert Variant and pack-in
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Target exclusive: "Bonus Daredevil Unlockable Code Inside") Insert Variant and code pack-in
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Wal-Mart exclusive: "Bonus Silver Surfer Unlockable Code Inside") Insert Variant and code pack-in
    Last edited by esquire; 08-26-2007 at 12:30 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    There is a variant for the original XBOX version which was an exclusive for Target. It includes Daredevil as an unlockable character.
    I thought the code would work for all versions of the game, not just on the one you purchased...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I thought the code would work for all versions of the game, not just on the one you purchased...

It does work on all versions of the game, but I think they were mainly talking about cover variations. The Target cover has an insert of DareDevil and reference to the code on the front cover, which is different from other Xbox versions of MUA. However, you can still use that code on all the disc versions (atleast the xbox versions) to get the secret character.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With all these variations, it seems that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is truly looking to bring the comic book experience to video games.
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by koster View Post
    With all these variations, it seems that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is truly looking to bring the comic book experience to video games.

Well, everyone can die and come back, right? Sounds like it to me...
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by koster View Post
    It sure looks that way, doesn't it?

Multiple versions (covers)

Greatest Hits (2nd printings)

Exclusive editions.

*sighs*

Now I have to buy the X360 version so I can use the other 4 Marvel Characters.

I'm such a Comic Book Whore.
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation