Thread: Tetris Dx: 955 Lines!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tetris Dx: 955 Lines!!

Just got 955 lines on Tetris DX marathon mode!

Really pleased because this beats the current Twin Galaxies world record of 841 lines. I know that mine won't be verified because it isn't filmed but even so i'd like to share my achievement with like minded people who may appreciate it because my wife certainly doesn't!

I said to my wife reecently that when we're set up in our new house then i'd do a proper push for a videogame world record. It's something that i'd be really proud to hold.
    Anyway, the only game realistically that i could even attempt for the title would be tetris, it's been a big part of my life for the last 10 years, it's the one game I consistently return to and the only game in which i don't need to voluntarily think anymore when i'm playing - it's like my brain takes over. I see the Gameboy as the natral home of Tetris and DX the pinnicle of the series on that system. And so i've been getting some good practice runs in and then today i hit the zone and brought home those beautiful 955 lines.

I know i'm still a long way from a verified world record, what with the added pressure of filming, and i know this post is a bit of a gloat - but as gamers we all know those times when you just HAVE to tell someone who'd appreciate it!

thanks for reading.
    tmc.

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is pretty sweet. Too bad it can't be varified but that is still one hell of a feat. Congrats!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I gather the blocks don't fall any faster after Level 20.

So how do you manage it? If I'm not mistaken, that Tetris engine does not allow you to move blocks away from the center before they're actually falling, unlike say Tetris the Grand Master. That would in turn imply that you must keep the stack as low as possible at all times.

(And of course the most recent versions of Tetris have "infinite spin".)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

obviously photoshopped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Doesn't appear Photoshopped ... what made you think that?

Congrats dude! It's cool to break a record. I'm working on the record for the MagMax arcade machine... once I get my arcade pcb fixed (broke in my move.. arg).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loose faith when people cry 'photoshopped', i was so excited about my score, had no-one around who would appreciate it and so posted them on here. I didn't doctor a photo to start a fake thread - why would i do that? i'm not claiming a new record because it's unverified - i admitted that already.

I have a few more photo's taken that anyone can take a closer look at if they so wish and also have the high resolution one's that you can take a look at and then explain why you still think they are photoshopped.

In fact, family computer - care to expain what led you to think that anyway - is there an inconsistency in the photo's that made you swipe away my excitement, practice and hard work in just a few words?

Jorfo - i think you're thinking of the original gameboy tetris - not the gameboy color 'DX' version on which i got my score, the original is very difficult to get much over 200 for the reasons you've given - 'DX' has a looser feel and levels out at 300 lines but enables high line scores much higher then the original.

On this 955 line attempt i held it together well for about the first 600 or 700 lines then in the last few hundred i had a couple of get-out's where it'd creep near the last third of the screen high (any higher and you can't get a piece out to the edges, it's too fast!), and claw it back again. It's really a case of chipping away line by line - if you hold out for 3 or 4 lines at a time you're srewed if the piece you need dosn't come out in the next piece or two. It took me just over an hour.

I will try for a recorded attempt tomorow and let you know how i get on. I would love that twin galaxies certificate!

Thankyou to the rest for sharing in my score with me!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

jorpho - sorry i've just re-read your post and understood what you meant!

no - you can't position the blocks before they start to fall, so yes you need to keep it as low a possible and chip away one line at a time. in effect at that level anything over halfway up the screen is getting dodgy so in effect i see it as a halfing of the game field height.

In actual play i see the peice to come next in the preview screen out the side of my eye and know where it's to go before it appears at the top of the play field so i can start to manouver it accross the screen the minute it appears.

The 'spin' trick thing was not used - simply because i didn't know of it or even if it can be used in DX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on the accomplishment. I never got anywhere close to that far despite how much I love playing Tetris!
    Kevin
    Blog | Twitter | Twitch

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the original Tetris and Tetris DX don't have infinite spin. The first Tetris I played with infinite spin was Tetris DS, though I've since found that Tetris Worlds on the GBA also has it. In my opinion, it totally breaks Tetris. The game can still be fun to play with infinite spin, but it's not really Tetris anymore. Tengen's NES version is still my favorite. It has the perfect smooth feel and pacing, especially compared to Nintendo's NES (SNES) and GB versions that always feel so clunky to me, probably mostly because I'm used to Tengen's.

Congrats on the record, tmc, that's pretty cool. How long did the game take? And I assume that at a certain point you have to change tactics and go for only single and double lines in order to keep things low like Jorpho mentioned, eh?

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks every for you kind words.

sweater - the attempt took 1hr 5mins. Although it's a slow start obviously as the game speeds up you clock up the lines quicker but it's a nice length of a game as there's time for another attempt if you fail on early attempts - not like a lot of the world records that take hours and hours to achieve.

Yes you do need to change tactics early on - i'm not really a 'score' player and so never really aim for 3 or 4 lines at a time, even early on in the game - i tend to focus on speed always pulling every peice down, at least until the game gets faster then the pull down speed!' and tend to whip out one or two lines clear every few pieces.

The main change is late in the game when you have to put pieces in places that are technicaly incorrect, only becase there is no time to wait for the right piece. so there's a lot of 'wrong' placement, then quickly chipping away that peice and filling the hole if you understand me.

There are also a few times when you need a bit of luck and the gods to shine and pull you back from the brink at the top!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just joking around tmc ;p

that's a lot of lines

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tmc View Post
    Jorfo - i think you're thinking of the original gameboy tetris - not the gameboy color 'DX' version on which i got my score, the original is very difficult to get much over 200 for the reasons you've given - 'DX' has a looser feel and levels out at 300 lines but enables high line scores much higher then the original.
    Interesting. If they are that different in feel, methinks I'm going to have to try that out sometime.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dubiouscubanx

Man, and I thought I was B.A. when I got 212 on the original Tetris on the GB. Congrats on the sweet score!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice! I'm a huge Tetris fan so the awesomeness (is that a word??) is not lost on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Very, very impressive feat tmc. I was so inspired I fired up Tetris DS to see how many lines I could rack up. Even though it's technically not pure Tetris due to infinite spin, I lost focus a few times and eventually couldn't recover, topping out at 459 lines.

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know at what point - if any - the various incarnations of Tetris with infinite spin top out at line-wise? 999 seems like the logical answer, but I'd like a definitive answer nonetheless.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't know what they top out at line wise - i'm gonna take a stab at a 1000+ line attempt to see what happens.

does anyone know what random generator algorithm is used in the gameboy tetris's is it truley random or does it ensure a spread accross all pieces over a certain length of time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tmc View Post
    does anyone know what random generator algorithm is used in the gameboy tetris's is it truley random or does it ensure a spread accross all pieces over a certain length of time?
    It is apparently well-established that in the original Game Boy Tetris, you can increase the odds of a particular piece coming up if you rotate one of those pieces repeatedly. (Supposedly, the reasoning is that one would be having more difficulty with a particular piece if one is rotating it a lot.) I have no idea if Tetris DX is the same way.

For a truly sadistic piece-choosing algorithm, track down Birdris for DOS.