Thread: DS Lite Crimson/Black BA2 Bundle - Screen problems?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Default DS Lite Crimson/Black BA2 Bundle - Screen problems?

I finally broke down and got one of these bundles today. The system is very nice but the touch screen had a yellow tint to it. I've had 2 other DS lite models (white and onyx) and both of those had upper and lower screens that matched in white tone. But, this one was a big difference. I ended up returning it. I called Nintendo about it and apparently they cannot replace it since it is no longer in manufacturing (limited edition), so all they could do is a repair.

I'm telling everyone this just FYI. I wanted that awesome color but the touch screen was too yellow for me. I found a website this afternoon while researching this that shows this has been a problem with the Lite for quite some time:

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/7/1-1

I guess they use different screen manufacturers. Do you think it's worth a shot to try another store? It looks like this may be just a random problem more than anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

It wasn't just yours, I think that this is a problem with all of those models. It's a shame too because those colors were awesome and I definitely wanted one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked one of these up and noticed the same thing.

It doesn't really bug me since the only time you can notice it is at the menu. You can't notice it while playing games. I had to return my first BA2 bundle because of a single white pixel that was twice as bright as the rest, now THAT really pissed me off.

So is this a problem with all newer DS Lites or just the BA2 bundle version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Just the crimson/black version I believe

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Well, seeing as many others here and on other sites have had this problem, I've decided against getting one. i think I'll get me an iPhone instead. That'll be a lot of fun, too.

I hope they get the kinks worked out with the screens because I want one to play two games: Zelda and Arkanoid with knob controller!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Yeah definetly a shame I havent experienced this first hand but of the three I ordered for the store I've sold one and they havent been in to complain but we'll see once I sell the other two

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one, and I also had this problem ... But the DS has another problem : many games have problems Metroid Prime Pinball, Brain Age 1, Zoo Keeper, and surely others that I didn't try. That sucks ! I'll return it, and I hope that I will be able to exchange it for another bundle, the color is so nice

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This is disappointing. The color scheme is gorgeous.

I've not gotten a Lite yet, as my launch DS is still working just fine. This bundle has had me considering one if/when the funds arise.

I wonder if having Nintendo repair it would ensure perfection? That might not be a bad idea.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spycee View Post
    I bought one, and I also had this problem ... But the DS has another problem : many games have problems Metroid Prime Pinball, Brain Age 1, Zoo Keeper, and surely others that I didn't try.
    What types of problems?

I'd like to point out to those thinking of purchasing the Crimson/Black version that the slight yellow tint isn't noticeable at all while playing a game (except, ironically, the one game that comes with the bundle, since most of the game is a white background).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    What types of problems?

I'd like to point out to those thinking of purchasing the Crimson/Black version that the slight yellow tint isn't noticeable at all while playing a game (except, ironically, the one game that comes with the bundle, since most of the game is a white background).
    Well, that's personal taste. As someone that's had 2 other DS lite models without this problem, I can tell you that it was a problem to me. I would never be able to stand playing games on that thing. And, like you said, BA2 with which it is bundled is one of those games unplayable to me because the touch screen is yellow tinted. Nintendo had better fix these issues or I'm just going have to skip getting another DS lite altogether and wait for something else. A real shame.

And, by the way, I've been doing some digging online and this has been a problem since the ds lite launched. I guess I've just been lucky with the other 2. So, it might be possible that some of the dual-color DS lites out there do not have this problem. It may be one of those things that you have to get by trial and error or, as someone else suggested, try sending to Nintendo to repair to get the proper white screen.
    Last edited by geneshifter; 08-29-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine the day it came out and i have no problems whats so ever. I even compared it after reading this thread and my crimson one is believe it or not WHITER!!! than the regular white version. I guess I'm just lucky!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    I got mine the day it came out and i have no problems whats so ever. I even compared it after reading this thread and my crimson one is believe it or not WHITER!!! than the regular white version. I guess I'm just lucky!
    Yup, this further proves my point that it's just random and depends upon which unit you get and who made the screen. Sucks but oh well, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't feel bad look at it this way. Its not a defect its just a different screen type. All screens are made different and so do look. Its not a defect so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked out my wife's white DS Lite last night. The two screens are both the exact same colour, and they match my yellow tinted screen.

One thing that concerns me more than my yellow tint screen is that the DS Lite D-pad sucks balls. The fat DS had a much better D-pad. On my DS-Lite, I have to push my D-pad harder than I would like to get the diagonals to register.

edit: I'd like to refer people to the following article at IGN - "Is Your DS Lite Sick?", written July 2006, which includes many of the same problems this thread discusses, including the yellow touch screen and shitty diagonals.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 08-30-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: add IGN link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What types of problems?

Many games had graphical problems from the start, like Zoo Keeper (numbers not displayed correctly), to others that simply didn't start, like Metroid Prime Pinball (the cartridge started but refused to start the game after choosing the play mode). Anyway, I exchanged it at the store and now it's perfect The yellow screen is still there, but only visible if the screen is white.

Now another problem : my girlfriend doesn't let me play since I showed her Metroid Prime Pinball ! She plays all the time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just got a Crimson one today (thanks to a nifty EB Games trade-in deal). I've got a yellow tint, but it is indeed not terribly noticeable.

One thing I have noticed is that the touch screen doesn't seem to be completely "even": there's definitely some spots where greater force is required to drag the stylus. Maybe this is the "shifting" problem described in the IGN article?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that the touch screen doesn't seem to be completely "even": there's definitely some spots where greater force is required to drag the stylus. Maybe this is the "shifting" problem described in the IGN article?
    I've never noticed that with mine. Other than the yellow tint, my screen is perfect. That may be a defect on your part.

Have you installed a screen protector?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have you installed a screen protector?
    Nope, nothing of the sort.

Actually, another flaw I've noticed is that the lower part of the D-pad seems to be noticeably more "springy" than the top part. Perhaps I should try to persuade the nice man to exchange it.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Actually, another flaw I've noticed is that the lower part of the D-pad seems to be noticeably more "springy" than the top part. Perhaps I should try to persuade the nice man to exchange it.
    Sounds like a good idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Done and done. The new unit seems to have the same problems; they might be slightly mitigated, but it could be my imagination.

I feel a twinge of guilt (but just a twinge) about returning what probably passes easily for a perfectly good unit these days. The man at the counter in EB Games didn't question my judgement and barely took a look at the DS when I returned it, though admittedly the store was a bit too busy for extensive debates at the time. It's almost enough to make me declare my mystification with why people always seem to be badmouthing EB.

By the way, Nintendo now has its own blurb on the tinting issue.
    * Lower screen looks different than the upper screen
    Due to the touch screen feature of the lower screen, an additional layer of touch-sensitive material is added. The top screen is not touch-sensitive, and can appear slightly brighter than the lower screen because it does not have this additional layer. Here are two things you can do to try and help increase the amount of light you see from the lower screen:
    Adjust the screen brightness of the Nintendo DS Lite. Click here for information on how to do this.
    Try holding the Nintendo DS so that the lower screen is not at an angle, and you are able to look directly at it.
    If you are playing Game Boy Advance games on the Nintendo DS, and are having difficulty seeing the game clearly on the bottom screen, you may want to change the system setting to play the Game Boy Advance game on the upper screen. Click here for more information.
    If you are using a screen protector, make sure that it is licensed by Nintendo. Unlicensed screen protectors may affect the visibility of the screen you are using it on. For more information on screen protectors, please click here.