Thread: New to collecting N64...boxes or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New to collecting N64...boxes or not?

I just got a N64 for the second time (used to have one with a z64 unit) and decided to start collecting for it, since there are alot of nice games for the system and they are cartridges I got the system on ebay boxed with 5 boxed carts for $56. Not a bad deal I think? Anyway, since I am starting my collection "boxed", I thought maybe I shoudl continue it this way. But, on the other hand, I am seeing some great games sold pretty cheap loose. My mind is really all about playing the games so it shouldn't matter to me, but a little voice keeps telling me to hold out for the boxed games for the ones I am looking for. What do you think? Should I go ahead and buy loose carts for the system and say the hell with boxes/instruction manuals? I dunno. I am not collecting these to re-sell or anything like that, but I would like to have a complete set one day. If I buy all loose games and that day comes someday, am I going to regret that I didn't go for boxed games? I'm torn between two worlds here. Boxed games that I will have to pay more for, or unboxed games and expand my collection quicker. What would you do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I tend to go boxed where possible (for all my consoles), regardless of the cost.

With my N64, all 26 games are boxed with manuals, but my 5 NTSC games are loose (Wave Race 64 has a manual though).

So, my recommendation is to go boxed where possible for now, as they'll become rarer and rarer in the future - when you'll just have to settle for loose carts.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I collect for the SNES so packaging wise i'm in the same boat.

Personally, I split my collecting into two parts. My main collection consists of nothing but complete games (plus protos and special carts and hardware) and that's the way I like to keep it. However, if I get the opportunity to pick up a loose game then I will do so provided that it is either reasonably priced for a loose game, is a game I want to play or is quite rare.

With cardboard packaged systems it can be very difficult getting a complete copy of a game and it can take quite a while for one to turn up so there's really no reason to pass over a game that you want to play if it's loose so long as it's at the right price, you can always pick up a complete copy later when you find one and then either sell off your loose copy to make your money back or keep it as a spare/backup/trade bait.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tore up all of my N64 boxes thinking they took up space. along with my DC box. sigh.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Go for boxes- they'll look better when organized on a shelf and you can actually ead what game's what that why.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always said the game is more important, but I grab boxes whenever I can. If you're worried about space, just taken out all the insert crap and flatten the outer box.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Go for boxes- they'll look better when organized on a shelf and you can actually ead what game's what that why.
    Yes, I agree with this. The N64 carts do not have a practical way of displaying them, while still being able to read the cart labels, so for me, having the boxes is a must. My 40 cart collection of N64 games includes the boxes, so I'm going to stick with that format. They do look much better on display with the boxes. I'm not totally anal however with all my systems, for instance I think 2600 games actually are perfect for displaying loose. My N64 and Jaguar are the only systems that I MUST have complete games for, everything else..blah I don't really mind, but of course I'll take the complete version before the loose one if I have the choice.

So Zektor, since you have only complete games so far, if you are worried about the appearance of your collection while on display I would most definitely continue to obtain complete games. From what I've seen, N64 games don't have a HUGE price gap between loose and complete titles, at least not yet, so I think its a good time to obtain complete ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried it but I just can't seem to bring myself to buy any N64 games without a box. To me, I think it makes sense to get them boxed now, while they're still quite plentiful, instead of some years down the road when it's harder to find the boxes because more people have thrown 'em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i collect just the boxed games, but if it comes down to it- i will take loose carts and worry about boxes later... you usually can find empty boxes or instructions every once in a while for a buck , so don't worry too much if you can't get them complete.

willie

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Sign... I generally only collect complete N64 games, but I have a few loose carts and I can't seem to turn down a good Blockbuster deal. Damn Blockbuster games... perfect box, no instructions, and the carts run the gamut between perfect and covered with stickers and permanent marker. Dammit! >

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the system on ebay boxed with 5 boxed carts for $56.
    That's a great deal!! I think that's what's good about collecting N64--it's still relatively new, and there aren't a TON of games, a few handfuls of gems, and seem to still be plentiful. I don't have it, but fantasize about it...

As a small collector of SNES and Genny, I look for games complete if possible. I HATE loose carts. Manuals a must unless the game is really scarce and I don't want to wait (ala Battletoads/DD, Super DD)

It's a shame Nintendo continued the cardboard packaging...takes up space and is easily damaged. Do N64 carts have any kind of dust cover? If not, stupid of N.
    If you have a manual and the cart, there are plastic clamshell cases used for rental that you can find on online shops...

Just DON'T shop at GameStop/Funco unless they have something complete...they contribute to scarcity of complete games... > $25 for loose GBA carts...@#$!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the great input guys. I didn't realize the display problem with the carts, so I am definitely going for boxed games only from here on in. Now I have to find some shelf space

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Zektor - Definitely check out video stores to fill out your collection. I've gotten several boxed N64 games with the instructions. Not Harvest Moon or Indiana Jones, but they've been cheap (some for $5 or less).

@ Atari7800 - I feel your pain on the Blockbuster carts. Over the weekend, I bought five decent games (Majora's Mask, Mario Tennis, Rush 2, Supercross, TWINE), but only Mario Tennis actually had the book. They're still cheaper than EB or Gamestop. And I don't mind the stickers actually.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Always get the boxes if it doesn't increase the price too much. Even if you decide later that you don't want them, someone else will.

I'm biased however, as I like everything to be mint and complete.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's nice to have the boxes as, thanks to Nintendo, THERE'S NO FREAK'N END LABEL!
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may have to re-evaluate the situation. Seems most boxed games I have been getting have the boxes either kind of crushed, or missing manuals. The missing manual part I can kind of pass by, but the semi crushed boxes look like garbage and can barely stand up when displayed. Now, if I work really hard, and spend more than I really should, I can get mint boxed games. But then again, I see mint loose carts for $5-10 max....jsut about every game I would want. Hmm...this needs some considering. I really want to have alot of games to play and hopefully someday soon complete a collection, but if I go for complete boxed games this may take me a long long long time..considering finding them in this shape and having the money to spend (which I don't). Anybody collect them loose with any input on this?