Thread: SCART cable for Supergun (big picture)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SCART cable for Supergun (big picture)

I'm trying to figure out if a cable I just got will help my situation with building a Supergun for my standard TV.

It's bi-directional and has that 3.5mm AC plug.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to venture a guess that you are looking for something that will convert RGB to NTSC video?

If so, I'm going to venture a second guess...that this is not what you want. I don't see anything that indicates that there is any encoding hardware there....but well the cable isn't in front of me.

I'm not a European, so I don't have much experience, but I'm fairly sure that SCART cables can also carry composite, and S-Video. This cable would simply be for getting that composite video out of a SCART jack.

But hey, prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Blur2040; 09-03-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm somewhat going off of various threads like:
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...hp/t-4034.html
    and website links such as:
    http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/4/DIY/JAMMA.htm
    to build a Supergun.

After looking at the SCART lead to TV I figured I needed some SCART to RCA cable to use on a standard NTSC set. Am I going down the wrong track or something?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Well, I'm somewhat going off of various threads like:
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...hp/t-4034.html
    and website links such as:
    http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/4/DIY/JAMMA.htm
    to build a Supergun.

After looking at the SCART lead to TV I figured I needed some SCART to RCA cable to use on a standard NTSC set. Am I going down the wrong track or something?
    Teehee, I posted in that thread on ASSEMbler.

Anyhoo, you're on the right track, but I don't think that cable is going to do anything for you. Theres no hardware in that cable that will translate the RGB to NTSC video. You need an RGB to NTSC encoder like Jrok, Neobitz...or something. I highly recommend Jrok. I used it and it worked quite well.

Your best bet for help building a Supergun would probably be the neo-geo.com message board...which I see you've found...lots of people build them there. Assemblergames' (which is an awesome website in general, btw) arcade section has some nice threads though (many started by me).

I've built one myself. So, ask if you have any other questions.

Edit: Oooh, I'd really recommend against using that PCB and building one from scratch.

1. Sure, you get to use Genesis controls, but you won't be able to play six button games. (Theres no way to wire up a kick harness).

2. You'd have to tap into the edge connector on that board (or somewhere else) to get the RGB...its either that or hack up a SCART cable (but I don't think the one you have will work).
    Last edited by Blur2040; 09-03-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm just all over the place trying to absorb so much of this information. I really did doubt that cable would be too useful but figured it'd be worth the few bucks to at least pick it up for just-in-case.

But my idea is to gut a Gateway 2000 full tower computer case (which I did earlier today) and use it to house the Supergun "stuff," since I don't quite know all of what's included. At the moment though I do have that cable and a 230 Watt PSU. I'll use the 9-pin serial ports on the back as controller ports and the front has a slot the JAMMA harness can come out through.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, well, if you want an exact rundown of what goes into a Supergun, exactly, just let me know...

FYI, I wouldn't use 9 pin serial ports for your controllers...that is, if you want to be able to use more than four buttons. 9 Pins=8 buttons and a ground...meaning...4 for a joystick, 1 for start...and 4 more buttons. Beyond that, you'd be out of luck. 15 Pins (The wide one, not the VGA style connector) is popular because you can use Neo Geo joysticks...and theres enough pins for 6 button sticks (pretty much the most you'd ever need).

In fact, right now, I'd suggest that you look into Jamma+ and how kick harnesses work. The bottom line is that Jamma standard is a joystick, start, and three buttons for each player. Beyond that (game with more than three buttons), theres different solutions depending on different boards (Kick harnesses or extra wiring on the Jamma Edge connector).
    Last edited by Blur2040; 09-03-2007 at 11:08 PM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have a bunch of 4-button sticks and some spare buttons. I'd prefer to just build my own arcade stick but hacking a Genesis pad isn't out of the question. Same goes with constructing a Supergun, I'd like to build it all but if I must I'll buy a few pre-built parts. I'm not currently in the situation where I can just jump on an idea this week but am completely open to my options.

I'd just like to get one up and running before October 12th when there's a miniture anime/game convention at my university I'm apart of. I'm planning on pulling an arcade panel together and would like some working demonstration.