Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Hankerin' for a beat'em up

So I've seen the commercials for Def Jam Vendetta and Tao Feng, and they both look spectacular.

I want one. I have a serious urge to play a game where I can pummel my opponent into oblivion, and I'm not afraid to be beaten senseless if I don't play well (ie I want a challenge, too).

So has anyone played either of these, and if so, what are your thoughts? A friend of mine also recommended Dynasty Warriors 4, and that might quench my bloodlust as well.

So let's hear it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Negative on the Tao Feng. Looks great - not much better than Kakuto Chojin.

I would honestly recommend MK Deadly Alliance. I was skeptical at first, but the different styles offers a lot of challenge. Plays great, looks great, and you can definitely kick some ass!

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I'll still say Soul Calibur 2... best fighting game out there at the moment...

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chalk up another one in the MK: Deadly Alliance column. It's good senseless fun, easy to get right into but deep enough for die-hard fighting game fans. AND, it looks *awesome*. Good replay value there too.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    I'll still say Soul Calibur 2... best fighting game out there at the moment...
    huh? You mean it's the best one out there 4 months from now?
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Def Jam Vendetta is more of a wrestler than a toe-to-toe beat 'em up like MK. It's made by Aki, the same guys that did the WCW/WWF games on the N64 like World Tour, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy. DJV works the same way. On the PS2 use the stick or pad to move your guy, X to initiate a grapple (length of hold will determine power of move), square (I think, it's the left face button) is for hits (kicks, punches, etc) and the "right" button (circle?) is for running. The right analog stick is for taunts and to activate your special once your meter if full. Triggers block and dodge back.

DJV is very cool. The story mode truely is a story mode. Basically pick a no-name brawler who enter a fighting tournament to help out a friend who can't compete due to an injury. You then move through the ranks, meeting different characters and gaining popularity status and cash. Use the cash to increase your abilities-and believe me you'll need to. The amount of cash winnings revolves around how well you do in the ring (if I'm not mistaken). This (and the enemy AI) force you to mix up your moves for maximum scores. And the moves, while some are unbelievable and deadly, just look "right" in this Fight Club-esque setting. Everything just clicks, from the back room arenas, the hip hop music playing as you wrestle, the attitudes of the fighters, to the women fighting over you to see who gets your undivided attention. Yes, at certain points, you must choose a female fighter and beat the snot out of the other to see who becomes your character's new "ho".

Visually, the game is a great looking PS2 game. The clothes move somewhat realistically and the models of the characters are pretty solid. The women though seem to suffer from low blocky shoulders, but the main characters are just fine. The crowd has made the shift from flat sprites in the past to polygonal people, moving and cheering as you fight. Sure close up they aren't overly detailed, but when the fight is in the ring, the shadows mask that issue as crowds are usually hard to see in a brightly lit ring. There are a few parts where models punch through each other, but it's very minimal.

There are a few niggling things, but I look past that as Aki did an excellent job creating a solid game first. There are no weapons, no blood, no create-a-fighter. A lot of things you associate with wrestling (like ladder matches and such) are not here. But then again it's Fight Club, not WWE. The music and some of the quotes get overused, but it's just a minor irritation. Also many of the specials can knock and opponent out really quick, so it can feel kinda cheap in a multiplayer mode when your buddy goes and pulls a special on the computer, knocking him out before you get a chance to do some moves yourself.

Overall, the game is great, especially for a quick round to beat up some punk. The attitude of the game fits fighting well and definitely gets you in the mood to whoop some ass. Multiplayer, as much as I have played, is smooth. No slow down that I noticed. I'd say if you enjoyed the fighting in the Aki wrestling games in the past, you'll probably like this game. Easy to get into, hard to break the addiction.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    huh? You mean it's the best one out there 4 months from now?
    Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Def Jam Vendetta is more of a wrestler than a toe-to-toe beat 'em up like MK.

<snip>

Overall, the game is great, especially for a quick round to beat up some punk. The attitude of the game fits fighting well and definitely gets you in the mood to whoop some ass. Multiplayer, as much as I have played, is smooth. No slow down that I noticed. I'd say if you enjoyed the fighting in the Aki wrestling games in the past, you'll probably like this game. Easy to get into, hard to break the addiction.
    Thank you, sir! That's what I call a GAMER's impression of a game. DJV is out on GameCube as well, do you (or anyone) know if either version has an advantage? I'd think that as a 4-player game the GameCube has an immediate advantage unless you own a multi-tap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Thank you, sir! That's what I call a GAMER's impression of a game. DJV is out on GameCube as well, do you (or anyone) know if either version has an advantage? I'd think that as a 4-player game the GameCube has an immediate advantage unless you own a multi-tap.
    I really don't know, honestly. According to IGN's Head to Head column the PS2 version eeks out in front of the Cube because of audio. The music, FMV and voices are compressed on the Cube and it can be noticable. While it doesn't effect play, it just cuts back on the impact of presentation. They also mention that the Cube has slightly better graphics than the PS2 version. Looking at the images (can't link to the images, they are on the Insider section) it looks as though the Cube version blends the shadows better but things have a slight hazy look about them while the PS2's images are noticably sharper. The color does look a bit more natural on the Cube, however.

Other than what I mentioned, the games are nearly identical. The controls are also the same, not necessarily optimised for a particular controller. While I'm not a huge fan of the PS2 controllers, personally I think it'd be more functional than the Cube controller for this game. The PS2 face buttons are all uniformly shaped and in a logical pattern while the Cube buttons are just, well, odd. I think that's what your decision will probably hinder: which controller you like best for this game. I think the multiplayer issue is moot as you probably already have a multitap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tenchi Wo Kurau 2 for Saturn!

Oh..and the Dynasty Warriors games kick some serious beat em up ass!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a friend that loves the fighting games, and he insists Tao Feng is more fun then MK: DA... and he has both.
    ... but then again, he is a little on the "odd" side

willie

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been curious about Def Jam myself, so I rented it today to make sure I like it before I buy it.

I went with the Gamecube version, because of the instant 4-player support & a bit of nostalgia since my favorite wrestling games are on the N64 (the afforementioned AKI titles).

My biggest fear was the GC version being edited (SNES Mortal Kombat flashback), but they're both rated Teen.

It's the best next-gen wrestler I've played. Low on options, but high on gameplay, which is what matters most.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.