Thread: Is it easy to burn games that have been translated to English back onto Cartridges?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is it easy to burn games that have been translated to English back onto Cartridges?

I know you can use an emulator. But what would really be nice is to take a English patched RPG and burn it back onto chips to be used on a real system.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit: see fishsandwich's comment below for better information.

AFAIK, it's been done with a few games for NES but is much more difficult or near-impossible to do SNES, depending on the chips used for the particular game. There is a rare rewritable-media tool that you can use with SNES (disk or flash, can't remember) but since it doesn't use actual chips, the performance might not be 100%. personally, 100% performance and control is the only reason i'd go to such lengths to do something like this.

don't know about other systems.

i would post a link to some information on the SNES but i don't know if it would be against rules so PM me if you want.
    Last edited by spunibard; 09-06-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use a flashcart to play roms on original hardware, if they exist. There are some flashcart projects that are a work in progress but, retrousb currently has NES repro kits (even a NWC repro!) and NES flashcart for sale. I think there is even a VCS flashcart.

People have been doing this for awhile now, via rom dumpers/burners such as CopyNES and the like.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tototek sell flash carts for a few systems.
    Otherwise it's possible to burn the ROMs onto EPROMs and create a repro cart if you've got the electronics know-how - I know SMS, Genesis/MD, NES & SNES ones have all been made...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spunibard View Post
    AFAIK, it's been done with a few games for NES but is much more difficult or near-impossible to do SNES, depending on the chips used for the particular game. There is a rare rewritable-media tool that you can use with SNES (disk or flash, can't remember) but since it doesn't use actual chips, the performance might not be 100%. personally, 100% performance and control is the only reason i'd go to such lengths to do something like this.
    LOTS of translated SFC games have been put on cartridge. It's easy for games that require no special chips... nor is it impossible to make a cart that DOES use a special chip plus the translated ROM.

Examples...

F-Zero 2 and Clock Tower don't require any special chips and play great.

Starfox 2 works perfectly on a stock SNES using a cart donor cart with the FX-2 chip in it.

Star Ocean uses the internals of the original Japanese Star Ocean cart (S-DD1 chip included) but the translated ROM to produce a game that works AND sounds great on a stock USA SNES.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

These have all been done and were offered for sale earlier this year by a forum member...

Dragon Quest 5
    Final Fantasy 4
    Final Fantasy 5
    Front Mission
    Live a Live
    Clock Tower
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Magical World of Wozz
    Radical Dreamers
    Seiken Densetsu 3
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Shin Megami Tensei 2
    Star Ocean
    Starfox 2
    Tales of Phantasia
    Terranigma
    Treasure of the Rudras
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    These have all been done and were offered for sale earlier this year by a forum member...

Dragon Quest 5
    Final Fantasy 4
    Final Fantasy 5
    Front Mission
    Live a Live
    Clock Tower
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Magical World of Wozz
    Radical Dreamers
    Seiken Densetsu 3
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Shin Megami Tensei 2
    Star Ocean
    Starfox 2
    Tales of Phantasia
    Terranigma
    Treasure of the Rudras
    I missed out
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<snip>
    Yeah, I've seen the SD3 carts for sale on eBay.. got a link to the thread? I can't find it via search.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kazuo View Post
    Yeah, I've seen the SD3 carts for sale on eBay.. got a link to the thread? I can't find it via search.

It was in buying and selling but it's been deleted by the author. He got a lot of criticism for selling carts containing ROMS translated by other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was in buying and selling but it's been deleted by the author. He got a lot of criticism for selling carts containing ROMS translated by other people.
    Actually, the thread is still there, I found it.

I have a very strong opinion on what went down in that thread, but to avoid opening a can of worms, I will just say.... I can't wait for a USB, flash-based SNES cart to come out. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kazuo View Post
    Actually, the thread is still there, I found it.

I have a very strong opinion on what went down in that thread, but to avoid opening a can of worms, I will just say.... I can't wait for a USB, flash-based SNES cart to come out. :/
    That would be QUITE a cart. To run ALL of the games on a stock SNES it would have to be PACKED with a variety of co-processors for all the games that included them... it might even need a little fan to keep it all cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That would be QUITE a cart. To run ALL of the games on a stock SNES it would have to be PACKED with a variety of co-processors for all the games that included them... it might even need a little fan to keep it all cool.
    That would be a complex cart indeed. You'd probably have to get the chips from a stack of donor carts, though without all of them running at once, perhaps a fan would be unnecessary.

However, some SNES copiers apparently manage emulation of some of the chips quite nicely. More likely, if anyone ever made such a cart, he'd probably just sacrifice compatibility with those extra-processor games.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    However, some SNES copiers apparently manage emulation of some of the chips quite nicely. More likely, if anyone ever made such a cart, he'd probably just sacrifice compatibility with those extra-processor games.
    This is true. The vast majority of SNES carts don't have extra chips... but I was surprised to see how many do. Pilot Wings, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Doom, Star Fox, Megaman X2 & X3, Kirby 3, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Super Mario RPG, Top Gear 3000, and at least a dozen more (lots of Japan-only games too.

That would be one big, heavy cart!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PROTIP: Make a flash card with a Pass-through to connect a real cart with said extra chip

Sure, in some instances, it would be pretty much pointless (like plugging in Mario Kart so you have a DSP chip to play.. Mario Kart), but in others, specifically SFX/SFX2, it would be quite useful.

It's not as hard as you guys think. Tototek has made one, and NEO team also has one in the works.

There's many ways to do it (see the PowerPak).