Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growlanser: Heritage of War for PS2...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Growlanser: Heritage of War for PS2...

Growlanser V - Release date: 18 September 2007.

It seems Atlus has either "sunk to a new low" or finally decided to be honest with their hardcore customers. I suppose it depends on your perspective. This is the line they're running in all their print ads...

The title will only receive a single print run -- when the initial allocation has sold out, the game will no longer be available for purchase. Growlanser: Heritage of War will be a truly Limited Edition release.

In other words...buy it now or never. Still looks like a nice set. I'll be picking it up next week.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oooooh!

I absolutely loved the first one (in generations). For some reason, I could never get into the second one, though... stopped about 15 hours in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Is there any info about what's included in the limited edition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Is there any info about what's included in the limited edition?
    From Gamestop.com:

This Limited Edition will include the game, a 100-page art book, multimedia CD-ROM, Growlanser keychain, 2 Growlanser linticular cards and 3 Growlanser pins.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem I have with buying this is that it would be purely as a collector's item. The game got mediocre reviews and I really didn't care for the previous Working Designs release. So, do I spend the $50 or just let it go? I haven't really decided yet.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Growlanser V - Release date: 18 September 2007.

It seems Atlus has either "sunk to a new low" or finally decided to be honest with their hardcore customers. I suppose it depends on your perspective. This is the line they're running in all their print ads...

The title will only receive a single print run -- when the initial allocation has sold out, the game will no longer be available for purchase. Growlanser: Heritage of War will be a truly Limited Edition release.

In other words...buy it now or never. Still looks like a nice set. I'll be picking it up next week.
    Thank God! All games should be like this, a once and done production run! Unfortunately, its bad for business. If the demand curve moves up, companies generally try to maximize profits by making more copies.

Unfortunate, but true. Of course, some games defy this logic, otherwise Panzer Dragoon Saga would be readily available for a fraction of its commanding price in the marketplace.

Guess I have to buy it on September 18,2007!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a feeling that when this sells out, they'll release a game-only "Regular" version that's not bundled with all the extras (like the original Growlanser). So when people complain, Atlus can say "When we said we wouldn't be re-printing any more, we meant LIMITED EDITIONS, n00b. lol."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I can understand a standard edition but limited editions are great especially when done right, like this! Limited editions should be just that limited production and just one printing to.

Working designs is awesome glad to see someone is still doing similar work to their's and gaijinworks will hopefully launch soon. Just bough PDS, awesome game!

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I have a feeling that when this sells out, they'll release a game-only "Regular" version that's not bundled with all the extras (like the original Growlanser). So when people complain, Atlus can say "When we said we wouldn't be re-printing any more, we meant LIMITED EDITIONS, n00b. lol."
    Yes, but Atlus has never done anything like that before to my knowledge, have they?

Why would they start now?

One thing I love about Atlus and to a lesser extent, SNK, is that their games hold value overtime, due to low print runs. I am by no means saying you can get "rich" off them, but it is definately better(for the collector) than other companies (i.e. Sony, Nintendo, Konami) who keep re-releasing their games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    Yes, but Atlus has never done anything like that before to my knowledge, have they?

No but they definitely do a lot of reprints of their games, so I wouldn't be surprised if a game only version was eventually released.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A question for clarification for all you Growlanser experts:

With the release of Growlanser Heritage of War, only the first Growlanser (PS) and Growlanser IV (PS2) are not released in the US (since Heritage of War is the Japanese Growlanser V, and Growlanser Generations includes the Japanese Growlanser II and Growlanser III).

Am I correct about this?

BTW, I think if a title (let it be a regular or deluxe edition) is already announced as rare before its release we won't have any trouble finding it later on for a reasonable price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

wow, I'll pick this up for sure. I also need to regrab Valkryie Profile for Ps2 soon. Is Gamestop taking reserves still?
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank God! All games should be like this, a once and done production run! Unfortunately, its bad for business. If the demand curve moves up, companies generally try to maximize profits by making more copies.
    It's shitty for gamers when they do the "once and done production run", too. The only people that ever benefit from limited print runs are resellers. Meanwhile, people that genuinely want to play the game get fucked over by grossly inflated prices.

Thankfully, that probably won't happen with this one, considering it's not terribly good. Sure would be nice if someone fan translated the first part in the series, I'd like to see how that one was. According to that RPGfan review, it was a worthy successor to Langrisser.

Langrisser kicked ass.

Which reminds me, I've yet to play the translated Der Langrisser. Guess I know what I'll be playing instead of Heritage of War!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is anyone else thinking of buying 2 copies? one to open and enjoy and one to keep sealed so that years later you have a nice rare (hopefuly) sealed game. I dont think because atlus is telling us it will be rare will make it not rare...if it is truly only one print run how can it NOT be rare (eventualy)? and even if the game is crap look at Rhapsody: A musical adventure for PSX, before its re-print the game sold for big bucks and it was a pretty craptacular rpg (eventhough I kinda enjoyed it, one of the few I guess).

If my best buy gets these in I will buy two thanks to my nice employee discount.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I pre-ordered two copies a month and a half ago. I'm the only one with a pre-order at the store I went to.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    No but they definitely do a lot of reprints of their games, so I wouldn't be surprised if a game only version was eventually released.
    I don't expect a second print of a game like Persona 3, but who knows....I picked up three copies of that game!

I think it will become highly prized in the future!

What other Atlus games do they reprints of? I really wasn't aware of any!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What other Atlus games do they reprints of? I really wasn't aware of any!
    You don't remember the hubbub from the second print run of Nocturne or when Disgaea went back into print (for like the fourth time)? How about Rhapsody, Cubivore or Pesona 2's additional runs?

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    You don't remember the hubbub from the second print run of Nocturne or when Disgaea went back into print (for like the fourth time)? How about Rhapsody, Cubivore or Pesona 2's additional runs?

I wasn't aware, but I thank you for the quick reply. I will do the research on the net to see what I want to buy and I thank you for answering my questions!

I'll still probably buy a couple copies of this game, just to be sure....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    FYI:

SMT: Nocturne never had a 2nd print. It was just a B.S. rumor started on CheapAssGamer. This has since been thoroughly exposed as bunk.

The rest you're correct: Rhapsody, Persona 2 and Cubivore were reprinted by Game Quest Direct. Disgaea was reprinted 4 times by Atlus themselves at the request of Nippon Ichi (you can still buy it new at the Atlus.com online store).

You're correct. Atlus has never released two editions of a game...ever. I doubt they would start now. Especially on such a "under the radar" release such as this. When this "Limited Edition" is sold out...that's it.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 09-12-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I looked online and couldn't even find a spot to pre-order the LE. I only found listings for the regular edition