Thread: Pardon my Gamecube ignorance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pardon my Gamecube ignorance...

So Gamecube and the DS are the only next-gen systems that I own (you don't need to feel sorry for me, it's okay). Now that the GC is on its way out, I would like to get some good games for it, but I don't really know what's good. I'm not really an RPG fan, but I pretty much know which ones those are. I'm a big Zelda fan, and I have those already (except the new one). I like Mario games too, but I don't have any of those yet. I'm looking for some good shooters. I like shooters like Gradius and R-Type, or the kind of games that are fun without having to put a lot of time into to be fun. Does that make sense? I have played the XBox version of Ikaruga, and I liked it. Any more like that? Does anyone know how the GC Burnout compares to the Xbox versions? I really like that one too.

Also, I bought Pac Man Vs. today, which I really like. I was wondering if I can hook up the DS to the Gamecube instead of using my not-backlit GBA. The cable I have for the GBA won't fit in the DS. Is there a newer cable for that purpose? I know it's wireless with the Wii, but I won't be getting one of those for awhile.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
    So Gamecube and the DS are the only next-gen systems that I own (you don't need to feel sorry for me, it's okay). Now that the GC is on its way out, I would like to get some good games for it, but I don't really know what's good. I'm not really an RPG fan, but I pretty much know which ones those are. I'm a big Zelda fan, and I have those already (except the new one). I like Mario games too, but I don't have any of those yet. I'm looking for some good shooters. I like shooters like Gradius and R-Type, or the kind of games that are fun without having to put a lot of time into to be fun. Does that make sense? I have played the XBox version of Ikaruga, and I liked it. Any more like that? Does anyone know how the GC Burnout compares to the Xbox versions? I really like that one too.

Also, I bought Pac Man Vs. today, which I really like. I was wondering if I can hook up the DS to the Gamecube instead of using my not-backlit GBA. The cable I have for the GBA won't fit in the DS. Is there a newer cable for that purpose? I know it's wireless with the Wii, but I won't be getting one of those for awhile.
    you can't hook your DS up to the Gamecube

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
    …I'm looking for some good shooters. I like shooters like Gradius and R-Type…
    There is Chaos Field
    Its a shoot them up with a very deep and complex scoring system.
    Radio Allergy was unfortunately canceled but if you are import, Radirgy is readily available and has manpuku mode which was not in the Dreamcast release. Speaking of importing, Star Soldier is also available. It is a remake/enhanced/improved version of the "original" Star Soldier.

There is also Space Raiders which is play alot like Space Invaders. The box continuously mentions that the game was made by the folks (Taito) who brought us Space Invaders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo made something called the Game Boy Player. It attaches to the base of the Game Cube and allows you to play GB, GBC, and GBA games once you boot GC with the Game Boy Player Startup disk (included). It's really a snap to use.

I recently picked a few up (yes, a few, I know people who want them, I got them at a decent price, and can pass that on).

I FINALLY hooked mine up the other night and was impressed. Looks AWESOME and is a pleasure to use!

Anyway, I have an "extra" one available for $30 shipped if you (or anyone else) is interested.

As far as games? I'm mostly an RPG'er, but cceck out Super Smash Bros Melee perhaps. Double Dash is fun, too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Short List of the good cube stuff...

=HIGHLY RECOMMEND=
    Resident Evil 4
    Viewtiful Joe
    The Legend of Zelda Windwaker
    Metroid Prime

=ALSO TRY=
    Resident Evil Remake
    Cubivore
    Animal Crossing
    Metroid Prime 2
    The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (if you're not planning on getting a Wii)
    Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
    Eternal Darkness

=YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY=
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Killer 7
    Super Monkey Ball 1+2
    Resident Evil 0

There are other games out there like Smash Bros Melee but I haven't tried it...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ikaruga did come out on the gamecube. If you like RPG's I'd recommend tales of symphonia.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eternal Darkness
    SSBM
    Eternal Darkness
    SSBM
    Eternal Darkness
    SSBM
    Eternal Darkness
    SSBM
    Eternal Darkness
    SSBM
    Eternal Darkness
    SSBM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Star Wars Rogue Squadron / Rebel Assault games are good. I haven't play the GC Star Fox games. They may be worth a look if you can get them on the cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also recommend if you like the Zelda games...then you really should track down a copy of Beyond Good and Evil. The game was released multiplatform, but most tend to agree that the Cube version is the best version to get. I tend to agree.

In addition, I still have fun with Luigi's Mansion from time to time. Also pick up Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy for the Cube. Good stuff...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Beyond Good & Evil is indeed awesome. Beyond what's already been said... You may be interested in Chibi-Robo, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, and Alien Hominid. F-Zero GX is an awesome, if not kind of difficult, racer. I've enjoyed all those games immensely over the years of my Cube. Fire Emblem, mind you, is a strategy RPG. Not quite the same as a normal one, but I think it's pretty good.

The Splinter Cell games, particularly Chaos Theory, are pretty good buys too if you like stealth action. There's also a remake of Metal Gear Solid that i heard was pretty good. As for shooters, there's not a hell of a lot to pick through. Chaos Field, Ikaruga, Space Raiders, the aforementioned Alien Hominid, and whatever came on classic arcade game compilations are about all you have to pick from domestically. If you're down with importing(and really, all you need is a Freeloader disc) Star Soldier, Radirgy,and Shikigami no Shiro 2 all come to mind as good bets. The Naruto fighting games are pretty simple, and fun if you can get some people together.

I also enjoyed Bloodrayne for a mindless action game. It's not particularly great, but it's fun to kill time with.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Like the wii the GC just doesn't have alot to play but some good stuff nonethe less. Mario sunshine was good. super smash bros is excellent especially with a couple controls and friends. skies of arcade is an excellent rpg. as everyone said eternal darkness. star wars games were great. animal crossing was excellent I even used the GBA hookup features and played with family/friends very cool.

I still need and am getting this week ikaruga and wario world both treasure games

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    There is Chaos Field
    Its a shoot them up with a very deep and complex scoring system.
    Radio Allergy was unfortunately canceled but if you are import, Radirgy is readily available and has manpuku mode which was not in the Dreamcast release. Speaking of importing, Star Soldier is also available. It is a remake/enhanced/improved version of the "original" Star Soldier.

There is also Space Raiders which is play alot like Space Invaders. The box continuously mentions that the game was made by the folks (Taito) who brought us Space Invaders.
    Wow, you liked Chaos Field? A lot of gamers were disappointed by that title, but each his own I guess. Ikaruga has got to be one of the best shooters for the GameCube. If you can find a copy...

Try eBay, but it will probably cost about fifty bucks at least, maybe less....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    Wow, you liked Chaos Field? A lot of gamers were disappointed by that title, but each his own I guess. Ikaruga has got to be one of the best shooters for the GameCube. If you can find a copy...

Try eBay, but it will probably cost about fifty bucks at least, maybe less....
    To be honest, i am not care much for "score em ups" such as Chaos Field but I did find much enjoyment with Radirgy and Karous. The thing with Milestone games is to learn the score system - they are craft them quite nicely

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Lots of good ones mentioned. I'll say that the Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes was very enjoyable, but I never played the original, so can't really compare.

A couple multi-platform games that I enjoyed were 007 everything or nothing (I liked controls quite a bit), and the Lego Star Wars games.

I liked Wario Ware when we had it running during a party, but that was about all I thought it was good for.

Oh, and I thought Mario Golf was very well done (re-done?) once again. Not much different than on the N64, but then, it is a golf game.