Thread: Shadowgate 64!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shadowgate 64!!

I'm a huge fan of the original Shadowgate for the NES. So when Shadowgate 64 came out I need to get it. Unfortunately I never saw it at my local store. Now, after 6 years of it's release date I want it. Has anyone played this game? How does it compare to the original?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big Shadowgate fan also and bought this game the day it came out. I was kind of disappointed with it. I thought it was VERY hard and I really didn't like the 1st person perspective. I wish they would have stayed with the original point-and-click interface. The classic Shadowgate feel is still definitely there though. For instance, you start out locked up in a dungeon cell. To find your way out, you have to search the walls & floor for an alternate exit. Think you also have to use a chicken bone to from your finished dinner as a tool to get out. Decent music and story too.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked what I played of it, but I must admit I sucked at SG64. I couldn't get very far at all, I had real problems with the puzzles. But I was just renting it, and maybe I didn't put the time into it that I should have. I will probably pick up the copy at the local Family Video one of these days, its only $10 and has been for sale forever.

If you can get it cheap, its a good buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game can be used to cure insomnia.

I was a big fan of the NES game, too.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shadowgate 64

I love Shadowgate, Uninvited, Deja Vu, Deja Vu 2. So I was curious if Shadowgate 64 is any good. And does it stay true to it's roots?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sort of........of course, it abandons the menu-based, one-room-at-a-time set up of the original ICOM games for a free roaming approach, but the basic concept of an adventure with lots of puzzles and mysteries to solve remains intact. I'll have to admit that it's been quite a few years since I've played through it, but overall, it's a game that I enjoyed quite a bit.

One thing to note is that you won't really encounter any enemies along the way - in the original Shadowgate, there were a few scenes where you had to bypass monsters (i.e. lighting the wraith on fire, shooting the cyclops in the eye with a slingshot and a rock, etc.), but you won't really find much of that in Shadowgate 64. The game centers more on exploration, interaction with the various characters that can be found around the castle and village grounds, and learning more about the history of Shadowgate.

I know the game doesn't have the best reputation in the gaming community, but I'd say it's definitely worth checking out for fans of the original. Just go in expecting a different type of experience and you should enjoy it....
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info Jerkov.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Lightbulb

ICOM made some great games. I couldnt help but notice that you didnt mention Beyond Shadowgate for the Turbo Duo. It is the direct sequel to the original Shadowgate and picks up right where the first left off. The game plays like a point and click adventure game like the Kings Quest and Legend of Kyrandia games. But it has some incredible graphics and a beautiful soundtrack. Its very pricy but if you get the chance I suggest you check it out. It is a great game that too few people have experianced.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beyond Shadowgate sounds great. I'll see if I can track it down.
    As for 64, it's interesting. They dump alot of typical video game conventions and that's probably why it takes such a hit in the gaming community. It's by no means amazing, but it's fun especially if you liked Shadowgate and/or the occasional game that tries something new (regardless of how successful it is).

I'd recommend it. It's not like it will set you back much.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com