Thread: You want to use HDMI with your Premium 360? Not so fast...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default You want to use HDMI with your Premium 360? Not so fast...

I thought I would clue people in on a little Microsoft scam going on with the new Premium 360's that have HDMI. If you use the HDMI cable and have a separate audio hookup (surround sound or optical audio) you will need this...

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HDMI-...9692984&sr=1-1

And it costs $50.

If not, you will only be able to use the audio from your TV when using HDMI. Essentially, when you use your HDMI cable you override the normal A/V jack in the back of the 360. It is "shut off" when the HDMI cable is active. You need the audio adapter included in the $50 set to use an outside audio source.

By comparison, the PS3 allows you to use the standard A/V cables for sound, while using an HDMI cable for video. Obviously, Microsoft is trying (again) to nickle and dime the uninformed consumer.

If you buy an Elite (as I did this past weekend), the HDMI cable and precious audio adapter are both included. So I guess this is one more reason to buy an Elite if you care about such things.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 09-13-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Good to point this out. The elite is the only way to go if you are buying one for the first time. Simple as that. I wish MS, and Nintendo for that matter, would stop this kind of milking but they won't.

I'm not buying a 360 again until the new ones come out. I do not want a time bomb in my house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That audio only cable is really important, the HDMI on the 360 passes Linear PCM audio for games, rather than DD 5.1. So if you plan on using anything other than TV speakers, you need that audio only dongle.
    Xbox Live: Ikari Warrior
    PSN: IkariWarrior

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/jaysweet99
    My theater: http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7596262

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Wow. Talk about absolutely bogus. How many people actually have an HDMI equipped receiver?

I use the HDMI signal for video on my PS3 but use an optical cable for DD. I really appreciate the heads up. I think this needs to be spread around so more people are aware.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Meh, big deal. I recall that that PS3 doesn't have an HDMI cable included with any of their systems. I also don't see a problem when you dump 300 bucks plus on a system and have to pay a little be more to have it optimized for your setup. I've had to do that with all my modern systems since I like to run optical out.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Meh, big deal. I recall that that PS3 doesn't have an HDMI cable included with any of their systems. I also don't see a problem when you dump 300 bucks plus on a system and have to pay a little be more to have it optimized for your setup. I've had to do that with all my modern systems since I like to run optical out.
    Ummm, can I have $100?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I recall that that PS3 doesn't have an HDMI cable included with any of their systems.
    Yeah, Sony's not off the hook either. They're the ones who decided it was a good idea to only include composite cables with their $600 HD machine.

My main point though is that it's currently asinine to buy a HDMI Premium 360 for $349.99 (+ $49.99 for the HDMI/Audio cables) when you can buy an Elite for just $50 more. If someone doesn't care about HDMI, then fine. For people that do, I think its worthy to note.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    If not, you will only be able to use the audio from your TV when using HDMI.
    But what if i have an optical out from the TV to my stereo, i will still get sound from my stereo...no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Yeah, Sony's not off the hook either. They're the ones who decided it was a good idea to only include composite cables with their $600 HD machine.

My main point though is that it's currently asinine to buy a HDMI Premium 360 for $349.99 (+ $49.99 for the HDMI/Audio cables) when you can buy an Elite for just $50 more. If someone doesn't care about HDMI, then fine. For people that do, I think its worthy to note.
    Ahh ok, I missed your point, sorry about that. I would agree that you would almost be better off to get the elite.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anybody confirmed this firsthand? I could see the HDMI port on the 360 only being able to pass linear PCM audio instead of DD 5.1. It really doesn't make sense that you couldn't use the pack-in component cables for stereo sound or optical output.

Saying that the HDMI cable overrides the system's proprietary AV jack but claiming that the HDMI bundle includes an audio dongle using that same jack is a little self-contradictory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there is a big discussion on this at the avsforums, the current AV plug won't fit with the HDMI cable plugged in. Supposedly there is a VGA cable from a company called Dragon on ebay that fit and output optical sound, but that's just info I read from another poster, I have no firsthand experience with them. I haven't bothered to try my Psyclone VGA cables, since after I found out the HDMI only did 2 channel PCM I quit using the HDMI for sound and went back to optical.

If possible I'd try to get the Elite to avoid the whole situation and have the Audio dongle included along with the much larger HDD.
    Xbox Live: Ikari Warrior
    PSN: IkariWarrior

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/jaysweet99
    My theater: http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7596262

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess that if it's a physical space issue, that would make more sense. It doesn't really look like the ports are too close together when nothing's plugged in but I know that the component cables are a little bulky at the console connection.

This being the case, would it really be too difficult to redesign the component cables to allow for a little more space for the HDMI port and still be able to fit the wireless adapter on the back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

damn that microsoft...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, big deal. I recall that that PS3 doesn't have an HDMI cable included with any of their systems.
    Well yea, but an HDMI cable doesn't cost $50 unless you're shelling out for like 50ft of 22AWG action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Very misleading title. I guess it is one more reason to get the Elite, but I am not surprised at this - as someone already pointed out, the PS3 didn't even come with component, let alone HDMI. At least the 360 comes with Composite, and HDMI (or both when you buy the Elite).

So Microsoft is shafting you on an audio cable with the HDMI equipped Premium. At least they are not shafting you on the video cable.

Pick your poison. Both systems suck at giving the consumer the cables they need. Of course, playing devils advocate here, those cables are not included because the majority of the people buying the systems would not use them.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Well yea, but an HDMI cable doesn't cost $50 unless you're shelling out for like 50ft of 22AWG action.

Damnit!!!!!!! that's what I was going to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First Sony was the king of butt slamm'n for extras last gen, now it's MS! Though as I recall? I had to buy the HD Pac to use the optical on xbox also. PS3 comes standard with a composit cable because it'll work on a standart t.v. so the casuals can play right out.

The mainstream fool would through a HDMI cable in the trash along with the console box and instrutions You can buy a HDMI cable off the web for $10 or less, any fool that walks into a Wal-Mart and pays 29.95 and up for a G.E. cable is a sucker anyways.

Are you kidding me? an extra adpter for optical on a 360?! #$%^ off MS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post
    Very misleading title. I guess it is one more reason to get the Elite, but I am not surprised at this - as someone already pointed out, the PS3 didn't even come with component, let alone HDMI. At least the 360 comes with Composite, and HDMI (or both when you buy the Elite).

So Microsoft is shafting you on an audio cable with the HDMI equipped Premium. At least they are not shafting you on the video cable.

Pick your poison. Both systems suck at giving the consumer the cables they need. Of course, playing devils advocate here, those cables are not included because the majority of the people buying the systems would not use them.
    The title of this thread sums up the topic perfectly.

I think I've made it clear that my main point is to inform people that if they are buying a Premium 360 with the mindset of using the shiny, new HDMI option, they will have to shell out $50 more than they originally thought. If you care about such things, it's best to just buy an Elite and leave the Premiums to people who could care less about HDMI.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    Though as I recall? I had to buy the HD Pac to use the optical on xbox also..
    Yes, but the optical port was on the cable itself. It came in any package that included the HD cables.