Thread: The Sega Console Kiosk Cabinet Thingy

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Sega Console Kiosk Cabinet Thingy

I never really got into the Sega Genesis, I was a Nintendo man in the 16 bit days. But now that I get around to it, I wind up with one model 1 that doesn't work, and a model 2 that has no power supply. After I finally get a complete working Genesis, I find that the joysticks are not comfortable... also, since I don't play it too much I always have to dig through a big clustersmurf of wires to get it powered and connected to the TV. So, when I want to play Genesis I usually say "naaah" and play something else instead- it had an "out of sight, out of mind" thing with me. So, my personal Genesis situation needed a little attention- fortunately I had another little toy that could help.

The "Pro-Play Home Arcade" was a cabinet kit Toys R Us sold in 1989-1990. You put it together, add your TV and your NES, and there you have it, a Nintendo cabinet. I was a lucky enough kid to get one for Christmas at the time, and I loved the hell out of it. But when the 16 bit generation came around, none of the new consoles were compatible with it. I wound up breaking it down and putting it away.

Years later I wound up making a cute little MAME cabinet out of it with a modded Xbox, but it just didn't feel right for actual arcade games. It isn't really shaped like anything I saw in the arcades, it has no coin slots, no marquee, it's so lightweight... not to mention it has that big hole in the front for accessing the console inside. It was really just an Xbox and a TV, standing up. I was trying to get the "arcade feel" out of a thing that isn't a real arcade machine, the Pro-Play just wasn't cut out for that.. I did eventually get some real arcade machines for arcade gaming.

So once again that leaves the old Pro-Play with no purpose in life; It's made for console gaming, not arcade gaming. I put an NES back into it, but I realized I don't like playing NES games that way anymore. They just don't feel right, a Genesis would be a much more appropriate console to have in there. It was very arcade like, but still console like as well. Hey! I have a Genesis!

So I dug up an old Genesis controller, gutted the board, and wired the switch contacts to the Pro-Play's NES control harness. Installed the Genesis, worked like a charm! Plus, the colors are blue and white, much more Sega like. It looked kind of silly and out of place next to the real arcade machines, so I moved it to the console side of the room, it looks right at home there. I also had some new decals printed up when I made the artwork for the Danmaku machine. ... it's a great addition to the console setup, it looks like some kind of Sega kiosk, doesn't it? The cabinet breathes new life into my Genesis, and the Genesis breathes new life into the old Pro-Play... I love how that works out.

Now, it's time to start discovering Genesis games!

Oh, and this is my 1,000th post! Happy 1,000th post to XYXZYZ!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

When I first saw the picture before reading the post I assumed this was full-fledged Sega-made Genesis kiosk. Instead it's another impressive looking project from XYX. Nice work.

I'd like to see how exactly your wiring setup looks under the control panel. And I can see a covering on the front panel. I assume that moves back so you can swap out carts. Did it come that way or did you make that cover yourself?

Lastly, do you have any information on the original form of this Pro-Play Home Arcade? I've never heard of that but it sounds interesting.

Based on this one pic, I'd say this was a worthy second act to your Danmaku cab. Well done

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very cool conversion. I love projects like this!
    just checking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look up to your skills. I really want to get into building cabs, was actually looking at verious things at Home Depot today to get ideas of pricing to start building soon. Fun times.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow that is a very nice job you have done. I remember when it was an XBOX thing and that is much cooler. Nice job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Wow, that's some beautiful work there! Any chance you've got the old blueprints for the origional kit lying around?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a great looking cab... and nothing beats Bubblegum Crisis poster art and the walls... (mecha chicks... yum! )

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

very cool! Now get gunstar heroes and dynamite headdy in there! among many other great genesis games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First of all, I appreciate everyone's compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    I'd like to see how exactly your wiring setup looks under the control panel. And I can see a covering on the front panel. I assume that moves back so you can swap out carts. Did it come that way or did you make that cover yourself?

My wiring jobs are never pretty, but somehow they're functional As you can see, just a Genesis pad hanging from the controls. Fortunately all the switch pads were connected to resistors rather than straight to a pin on a flatpack, so I could solder onto those instead of directly to the pad itself as usual, for a stronger joint. Thought I often just drill a small hole into the switch pad and run the wire through it. That other harness you see is the original NES connection. I haven't made a Genesis harness for player 2 yet, I'll get around to that someday.

At first I just wired the Genesis switches to the corresponding outputs on the NES board's IC, but that caused a funky loading issue and I would up just wiring the Genesis pad straight to the button switches.

For the front cover, originally it was just a hole. I didn't like the way it looked so I just took a comic book backing board and taped over it from the other side. (The one you see there is from Red Sonja #23 I think) I removed the top screws from the front panel, so it swings open and I change games that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Lastly, do you have any information on the original form of this Pro-Play Home Arcade? I've never heard of that but it sounds interesting.
    Not really, info on the Pro-Play is really hard to find. There's a little bit here-
    http://robotron.freeservers.com/proplay.html
    This page actually has scans of the manual. Oh, and the images don't work for me in Firefox.

And an auction here-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NINTENDO-ARCADE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where did you get the mini arcade machines?. On top of the tv stand?, PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingking View Post
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96540

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingking View Post
    YES, TELL ME, W H E R E ?! Stalker post of the year. Anyway, that's beautiful work XYXZYZ, if Sega ever had a PC10 I suppose that's what it would look like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yeah, you might want to edit out the image of the little paper arcade cabinets, you don't want Atomicthumbs' stalker to start on you next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, he's already PMed me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You ought to post that over at sega-16.com

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    You ought to post that over at sega-16.com
    Heh, that would be a good idea if it hasn't already happened.

Sorry for the bump, but I think this cabinet looks great. Do you think it's possible to make a Saturn version of one of these? That would be awesome. And how light are the cabinets themselves? Are they just pretty much all wood and can be put on any floor of a house?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Heh, that would be a good idea if it hasn't already happened.

Sorry for the bump, but I think this cabinet looks great. Do you think it's possible to make a Saturn version of one of these? That would be awesome. And how light are the cabinets themselves? Are they just pretty much all wood and can be put on any floor of a house?
    Yeah, the cabinet is basically a bunch of plywood held together with screws, it's a lot like putting together a computer desk or something. But as I mentioned in the joystick thread, I've since dismantled it and the whole thing is sitting under my sofa right now.

You could use a Saturn or anything else in there, but you'd have to do a padhack with a Saturn game pad.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

That's a really cool cabinet, it looks really good. I know there actually was a Genesis arcade cabinet, it was Gargoyles themed but you could play any game you wanted.