Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier Solar, the new Genesis RPG can now be pre-ordered!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    You buy games to put them on the shelf?
    People collect things for the reasons they collect them,
    please no thread crapping.

anyways, this does look and sound impressive, I'm thinking of picking up a copy myself (missed out on begger prince unfortuatnly). I always disliked the genesis, but a few of the rpgs stood out enough for me to stick with it and this looks on the same level as the ones i liked :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    The material is the deterrent, not the way that it is opened.
    That is not true, I have checked that.

I want to see the art because, honestly, I don't know if I'll ever play the game, so I would like it to at least look nice on the shelf. I want to see if you are emulating the Genesis cover art or botching it like the original BP (sorry guys, but it was messed up). It surprises me that you plan to release this game in just over two months and yet you haven't even gotten the cover art worked up yet. I always figured that was THE way to promote your game. Screenshots are great, but the cover is what goes in ads.
    Sorry, but the cover art is about the last thing to worry about. We do not have ads either anyway. The screenshots and videos are much more important, and we mostly aim at people who actually want to play the game anyway, not just put it on the shelve. Thatīs one reason why we would not talk about Posterity extras etc much. If our game would end up sitting on shelves and collecting dust it would mean we have wasted a few years of our life.
    We want to make a good game, something fun to play and impressive to watch, not just some collectorīs item you can sell as ultr@ r@re on eBay in a few months.

Of course it is everyoneīs own decision why he woants the game; but our focus is the game itself.

BPīs cover was certainly no good (no need to apologize to us, we have nothing to do with BP), I know that. I can say that ours will be better judging from the current design-WIPs. But we do not try to emulate art style found on old Genesis games either, because quite honestly many covers from back in the days suck ass (look at any of the Phantasy Star covers). Our cover artwork will go more in the direction of modern age games.

Generally speaking we try to make it an absolute highlight on the Genesis in about every aspect, be it technologically, in itīs gameplay or in the packaging. The game will not come short in any of these aspects, a lot of effort was put into everything; including the construction of our special cardboard-clamshell case. It is the luxury package on Genesis you could say, eventhough it is not made of plastic.
    Last edited by 108Stars; 10-17-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You buy games to put them on the shelf?
    Yeah man, I'm a collector, that's what we do. You won't see my grandma playing with her Precious Moments figures either

Quote Originally Posted by 108Stars View Post
    Sorry, but the cover art is about the last thing to worry about. We do not have ads either anyway. The screenshots and videos are much more important, and we mostly aim at people who actually want to play the game anyway, not just put it on the shelve. Thatīs one reason why we would not talk about Posterity extras etc much. If our game would end up sitting on shelves and collecting dust it would mean we have wasted a few years of our life.
    We want to make a good game, something fun to play and impressive to watch, not just some collectorīs item you can sell as ultr@ r@re on eBay in a few months.

Of course it is everyoneīs own decision why he woants the game; but our focus is the game itself.

BPīs cover was certainly no good (no need to apologize to us, we have nothing to do with BP), I know that. I can say that ours will be better judging from the current design-WIPs. But we do not try to emulate art style found on old Genesis games either, because quite honestly many covers from back in the days suck ass (look at any of the Phantasy Star covers). Our cover artwork will go more in the direction of modern age games.

Generally speaking we try to make it an absolute highlight on the Genesis in about every aspect, be it technologically, in itīs gameplay or in the packaging. The game will not come short in any of these aspects, a lot of effort was put into everything; including the construction of our special cardboard-clamshell case. It is the luxury package on Genesis you could say, eventhough it is not made of plastic.
    No worries, if I get one you'll never see it on ebay. Remember, it's on the shelf!

What I meant by emulating the old Genesis covers is, are you going to do the red banded spine, or the black grid, or anything like that? BP attempted the grid but somehow got it wrong. I like the idea of trying to match the style, though. And I agree, the old covers did "suck ass" (but were awesome in their own way).

Alright, one last question. Do you at least have an example of these box/cases? I'm guessing you didn't invent this thing, can you point me in the direction of the manufacturer or something?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really picky about what games I buy. For what it's worth, though, you're wearing me down.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Can't play the game 24/7 for the rest of your life. Has to sit somewhere when you're done. Might as well be sitting pretty in a kick ass package.

gamer/collector for the WINS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhm, we will go for the Genesis red-stripe, Mega-Drive-blue-stripe designs....so, not the black/white grid thingy. However, I still cannot get you a link to a manufacturer, because we indeed did invent the package ourselves and let it be produced after our prototype. I do have a photo of that prototype, but I am afraid I cannot post it because I signed an NDA.
    I hope we will publish a pic soon, but I do not know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah man, I'm a collector, that's what we do. You won't see my grandma playing with her Precious Moments figures either

No worries, if I get one you'll never see it on ebay. Remember, it's on the shelf!

What I meant by emulating the old Genesis covers is, are you going to do the red banded spine, or the black grid, or anything like that? BP attempted the grid but somehow got it wrong. I like the idea of trying to match the style, though. And I agree, the old covers did "suck ass" (but were awesome in their own way).

Alright, one last question. Do you at least have an example of these box/cases? I'm guessing you didn't invent this thing, can you point me in the direction of the manufacturer or something?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really picky about what games I buy. For what it's worth, though, you're wearing me down.
    From what I saw you can choose 3 different "versions" (all are region free, but come with different translations) A ntsc-u, pal, ntsc-j. Each will have a stripe respective to how they ran in the prior 16-bit days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@carlcarlson
    You posted in the Wukong thread that seeing the cover there makes it easier for you to order....well, you see that it also brings some problems with it to do the stuff so early: I am a bit disappointed the Wukong cover has the word "Megadrive" written on it, which is wrong. It should be "Mega Drive".
    Besides that it looks kind of cheap to me, abandoning the manga style of the game and replacing it with some photoshopped water-coloring. You can expect us to have something very professional; because we take the time for that and have very skilled designers.

So you see it does have advantages taking your time in order to avoid errors, right?
    Last edited by 108Stars; 10-19-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 108Stars View Post
    @carlcarlson
    You posted in the Wukong thread that seeing the cover there makes it easier for you to order....well, you see that it also brings some problems with it to do the stuff so early: I am a bit disappointed the Wukong cover has the word "Megadrive" written on it, which is wrong. It should be "Mega Drive".
    Besides that it looks kind of cheap to me, abandoning the manga style of the game and replacing it with some photoshopped water-coloring. You can expect us to have something very professional; because we take the time for that and have very skilled designers.

So you see it does have advantages taking your time in order to avoid errors, right?
    You won't see me defending Super Fighter Team's covers. The original Beggar Prince cover was insanely bad (sorry to the artists!). The second version was much better, but they still did a number of things wrong. I think the Wukong cover looks decent, though the shot of it is kind of hard to make out.

But yes, taking your time IS very important. Are we going to be seeing your cover when it shows up in our mailboxes, or do you plan to release it at some point before shipping (sorry if that's been covered already)?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Yeah beggar prince box 2.0 was much better. Hopefully you guys get it right the first time. Take your time. I'd rather wait for perfection than get something decent earlier. Also any chance of a guide of some sort (gamefaqs, youtube, print) one reason I haven't finished/tackled beggar prince is I need help with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the 20th Anniversary for the Mega Drive/Genesis and it marks the last day for posterity pre-orders of Pier Solar. To anyone who has been doubtful or low on money, this day is your last chance to get your name in the game and give us some extra support. Although this day is the last for pre-orders, you don't necessarily have to pay today. To everyone, the bits and pieces are falling to place to become a very great game, stay tuned for more news later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe I was amongst one of the first to pre-order the posterity pack. I too was unlucky to miss out on Beggar Prince, and didn't want to miss out on what could possibly be the greatest Mega Drive RPG ever made!

There's just something about the quality of the official website that gave me the impression that the game will somehow be great by comparison! I do hope the same level of care and attention goes into the game as the flash site! The music is amazing by the way, and it's hard to believe the Mega Drive could be capable of such glorious sounds and graphics!

Truly a real collecctor's item, and I look forward to spotting a few familiar names somewhere in the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your feedback and support! By the way, you can still order Beggar Prince on the official website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Two new RPGs coming out for the Genesis = Good times this next year
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Posterity orders last until October 29th, OR until 500 of those orders have been made.
    So, the deadline has now passed. Can you reveal how many Posterity packs you managed to sell in total?

I have also just read through the entire thread. I think a few people are a bit confused regarding a few things. I think it would do good for everyone to take the time to read through carefully and learn what has happened during the last year.

I am glad that the choice of two versions has since been merged to the Mega Drive cart with a bonus Mega Cd for soundtrack. I think this is the best of both worlds. I am wondering though whether the soundtrack Cd will also be playable in a standard Cd player, or include MP3 files of the soundtrack? As mentioned further back in the thread, I hope the disc is professionally pressed and not just a Cd-r

Also, I don't know why people can't understand that both the standard and Posterity packs are going to include the same game. Regardless of what version you ordered, the people who ordered the Posterity pack will have their name in the game and manual. I would hope that whatever the final packaging outcome is, the Posterity pack will include everything that the standard pack does (Similar to the Bioshock LE with statue also had the Steelbook version included, but not how the Legendary Edition of Halo III only included the standard copy and not the CE version)

Also, one last thing: I would like to say that I hope that everyone who has so far ordered the game has done so for their own use and NOT to gain a quick profit on eBay. I would also like to think that the people who ordered the Posterity pack did so for all the right reasons - To help the developers - And intend on keeping the game themselves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    I would like to say that I hope that everyone who has so far ordered the game has done so for their own use and NOT to gain a quick profit on eBay. I would also like to think that the people who ordered the Posterity pack did so for all the right reasons - To help the developers - And intend on keeping the game themselves
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

It would make me very sad to see some of these on Ebay after it's release. Although I can't see them fetching much more than their original price unless they stop producing them. So hopefully it won't be much of an issue.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I ordered my posterity pack to help get this game out there I didn't even know it was limited to 500 or fewer copies. Makes it even cooler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We really want to express our thanks to all who have ordered, especially to those who bought the Posterity Pack. I cannot say how many we have sold atm (but obviously it was not 500, since we did reach October 29th), but I was really happy to see so many gamers willing to pay some extra money to support us! Itīs a thing I did not expect in this day and age.

As for the classic version, of course ordering for that will go on right until the game is produced and we are sold out. So if you did pass on the Posterity Edition, the classic edition is still there for you to order. :P

You are all great, thanks a lot!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope the game is significant in length compared to other Mega Drive RPG's, and many GBA RPG's that have since come after. I also hope there is a compelling storyline and hope the game is not too heavy on the grinding, which some weaker RPG's tend to use in order to stretch the longevity. I hope that 15 years RPG experience has not gone to waste, and I would expect a game on-par with something like Golden Sun

I'm intrigued about something. Are you able to reveal an estimated length of the game? Also, if you had to lay out some comparisons (In any aspects of the game, Ie, music, graphics, length etc) to other RPG's, what would you compare it to?

I would guess that the game is created as a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Mega Drive - Are there any small in-game references to other games? Eg, famous lines of text from other games like "Someone set us up the bomb", or maybe in-jokes like "All your herbs are belong to us"? Lol.

Obviously there is still a market and fan base out there for 'Traditional' isometric 16 bit RPG's, as can be proven by various GBA and DS games available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Itīs hard to judge the time you will need to play through the game; I expect 30+ hours though.

Graphically I would compare it to Final Fantasy VI. It has similar style overall, with some advantages for Pier Solar like the cutscenes, animated monsters and generally more character animation.
    Our characters are smaller than in Chrono Trigger; basically our maximal character height is just the same as Crono, but if we made them so tall they could notmove their arms or legs to the left or right in animations etc, so we draw them smaller to give them some room for movement. Of course in Pier Solar the party consists of up to 5 people at once compared to CTīs 3, so that has something to do with it. Also we have very big and many animated enemies on screen in comparison; up to 8 monsters (32*32 up to 96*96 pixels for each monster afair) on screen, up to 4 of them different. That is really a lot. FF VI had very detailed, but completely static monsters, CT had animated but smaller monsters. So in that regard we are probably even the best in 16-Bit-RPGs, having a large number of animated characters and monsters on screen.

For other aspects such comparisons are hard for me, being a gfx guy.^^ the sideview battle system might remind you of Final Fantasy, but there is no active time battle. The gather system is comparable to an element of Dragon Quest VIII, and it might have some timing-sensitive elements like The Legend of Dragoon.

Also dialoguies are rather well written and somewhat longer than in most 16-Bit-RPGs; in most 16-Bit RPGs you feel how much the translation had to be abridged to fit in the limited ROM-size;characters get straight to the point, and all seems a little rushed. That will be different in our game.

So, and now for something completely different:
    Our programer Fonzie Voltonov was invited to the Retro Gaming Connexion in France and held a small presentation of Pier Solar. He also had a WIP of the box with him, and we can now present you pics of the event!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow! this box looks great.
    I'll probably buy all 3 versions =)