Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier Solar, the new Genesis RPG can now be pre-ordered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Other than price, what are the differences we can expect to find between the CD/cart? Sound? Graphics? Cut scenes? Any content differences? Maybe a form of "the making of?"
    The sound will be different of course, with the MCD offering superior sound.
    The graphics will be a bit different too; there will be more special-effects in the cartridge version because the Mega CD just can´t pull off as much(that is true!) for memory access reasons.
    Maybe there will be some content differences like stuff we could not put in the cart because of the limited ROM-size...
    There will also be specials on CD, since only 440 MByte can be used for game data on Mega CD. So expect making-ofs, art-galleries etc.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by 108Stars View Post
    The sound will be different of course, with the MCD offering superior sound.
    The graphics will be a bit different too; there will be more special-effects in the cartridge version because the Mega CD just can´t pull off as much(that is true!) for memory access reasons.
    Maybe there will be some content differences like stuff we could not put in the cart because of the limited ROM-size...
    There will also be specials on CD, since only 440 MByte can be used for game data on Mega CD. So expect making-ofs, art-galleries etc.
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to the making of.
    Oh, may I make a request? Could you make the gameplay entirely FMV based? I hope it isn't too late to do so!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to the making of.
    Oh, may I make a request? Could you make the gameplay entirely FMV based? I hope it isn't too late to do so!
    Yes, FMV-games are so awesome! Especially with boobs!^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Yes, FMV-games are so awesome! Especially with boobs!^^
    Well, I think I speak for all of us when I say that Night Trap scientifically proves FMV to be the superior gaming experience. That's what's missing from the PS3 lineup. FMV would be the 360 killer. Little known industry fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After all, we´re still a year away from the scheduled release. Much can change in the meantime. Definite answers can only be given once we have come further in developement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

After all, we´re still a year away from the scheduled release. Much can change in the meantime. Definite answers can only be given once we have come further in developement.
    The gaming community will collectively cross our fingers!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Lightbulb

I must say that this is incredible news! The Genesis/Sega CD is still one of my favorite systems ever made. When Beggar Prince came out I couldn’t believe it and that payday I hopped on-line and ordered a copy. When this game is released you can certainly expect me to do the same. At first I imagined the CD version would be the same as the cart but with better music. So I figured (minus the load times) the CD version would just be overall better. But It really sounds like each version is going to play its formats strength. So the way things are sounding, I might have to purchase both the cart and the CD version. A piece of advice though; Make sure the spells are REALLY cool. This might sound dumb, but it really makes the RPG better. I remember playing Shining Force I and II and Phantasy Star IV and thought the spells were cool. But then when my brother got a SNES and I played Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger I realized how awesome spells could really look. In Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger the anticipation of getting a new spell and casting it for the first time evoked a feeling that no Genny RPG ever gave me. So if at all possible make the spells a sight to behold. Because that will drive me to play the game "just a little longer" if not only to see how the next spell will look. Also, I have to say I love early CD games that had Red Book audio. Back in the Sega CD and Turbo Duo days the Red Book audio alone validated my purchase of the game. They just don’t compose good game tracks like that anymore. Seriously, anyone who has a Turbo Duo knows what I am talking about when I mention Y's 1-4, Lords of Thunder, Dungeon Explorer II or Valis 1-4. The Sega CD had the Red Book blessing as well with games like Lunar 1&2, Terminator, Dungeon Explorer, Android Assault, Eternal Champions:CFTDS and, in my opinion, one of the greatest sound tracks ever composed Dark Wizard. The Dark Wizard soundtrack is absolutely unbelievable. While I listened to the sound clips of Tavern RPG that were posted I was impressed at the quality. The quality was every bit as good as I could have hoped. But (this is just my opinion so please don’t hurt me) I thought the compositions were very uninspired. The music did absolutely nothing for me. I am aware that you are still working on Tavern RPG and I hope the already VERY promising game continues to get even better. On a final note, I bought Emerald Dragon for the PC engine a while back and even though I can’t read one bit Japanese and the game is like 14 years old it still blew me away with its incredible graphics, emotional cut scenes, and beautiful Red book audio. If you guys can capture even a hint of this you will have a true classic in the making.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, long post!^^
    Well, about the sound: the tracks we presented yet were only 3 or 4 I believe, and we have already well over 25 tracks composed. It is not even sure yet if the tracks you listened to will make it to the final game.
    I am not a sound-pro myself (I am a graphics designer for the game), but what I heard so far sounded very good to me. So you´d best wait until there is new stuff to be shown.
    BTW, as a German I am a bit jealous of you: The TurboGraFX/Duo was never released here, imports are pretty expensive and in fact I have never ever heard a ingle track of a CD game for the Turbo. I must one day get one of these!^^

I thank you very much for your interest and promise that our team is giving it´s very best to make this game a classic; I was one of the Beggar Prince-customers as well and joined TRPG-team after I played it. I hope that our project will inspire even more people to try and breathe new life into the Genesis. The success of this is up to you fans; if you support a project like our´s I am certain it will not be the last we see of the Genny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would make the obligatory skeptical post expressing doubt that this project, like so very many others of its kind, will ever be completed. But then, if it's been in the works for three years already, maybe completion is not so unfeasible after all.

My suggestion would be to employ whatever magical ward has been applied to Beggar Prince that makes playable emulator dumps impossible, at least until you firmly believe that you'll never sell another cartridge.

(And we like paragraphs here, Mr. Wraith Storm.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tell you from the bottom of my heart: this project WILL definately be completed. The core-team is so determined Tavern RPG has become like a second life for us. For everyone of us it is a dream come true to make a real Mega Drive-game; and the programming side, the greatest hindrance, already is 99% done.

Important for us is that we can count on the retro-gaming-community to accept our game. A lot of work is in this game, and we would really like this not to be our last project. If you just believe in us and buy the game once it is done nothing stands in the way of even more Genesis-goodnes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

If you just believe in us and buy the game once it is done nothing stands in the way of even more Genesis-goodnes!
    I'm all about that.
    With your heads buried in this game, it's probably too early but I know you dream so...
    Would your next project be an RPG as well or are you hoping to tackle another genre? It would be nice to have a few more RPGs squeezed into the Genny but I'd be just as excited to see a good shooter!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tell you from the bottom of my heart: this project WILL definately be completed. The core-team is so determined Tavern RPG has become like a second life for us.
    To which I say, that's what everyone else who has attempted such a venture says before releasing a demo and subsequently vanishing forever.

the programming side, the greatest hindrance, already is 99% done.
    ...But again, this is different. (Then again, I have that sneaking suspicion that the difference between 99% and 100% will prove to be substantially larger than one-ninety-ninth of what has already been done.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@DeputyMoniker
    Well, we certainly want to do more for the MD; and I think something different than an RPG would be nice to do for a change (and much easier to acomplish). But we have to finish this first.

@Jorpho
    Actually I don´t even know of any announced MD-homebrew so far, save a few demos.
    And no, the difference between 99% and 100% is more likely to be smaller than one-ninety-ninth of what has already been done. The last elements of the program should be finished within a few days, what comes after that is just a constant tweaking and optimizing of what is already done. We really have the game running save the monster AI afaik.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not really a Genesis fan, but I think that homebrew is always good. Beggar Prince seems to be more successful then most other homebrew games that I've ever seen. Keep it up and I just might have to get a Genesis to play this stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Where have you been discussing retro gaming over the past few years? I notice you just opened an account here. I'm just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe, I only got my Internet-access a year ago. Since then my retro-gaming places were Sega-16. and http://www.thelegacy.de/Start/index....rt_language=en.

I only used DP´s online rarity guide until now...

And to tell you the truth, I touched my MD again 2 years ago after letting it rot for years.^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I only used DP´s online rarity guide until now...

And to tell you the truth, I touched my MD again 2 years ago after letting it rot for years.^^
    Cool. Welcome to DP!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I am not much of a fan of RPGs and will most likely never buy this game, I would like to say that I was impressed with the quality of the screenshots in the interview.

Good Luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

man.. go sega.. thanks all thats doing this.. hopefully one day they will just remake games for the systems. I wish carts were cheaper than disks..

Please message me if this RPG is ever for sale..
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you all for your support!

I must say I feel comfortable here with so much excitement towards our game. I will keep you all informed anytime!^^
    Last edited by 108Stars; 01-13-2008 at 06:13 PM.