Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bubsy Thread

I have Bubsy 1 and 2 for the Sega Genesis, along with the Super Nintendo, and Bubsy 3d for the PS1. Then a few minutes ago I was bored and looked up Bubsy on wikipedia, and realized there was a Bubsy title for the Atari Jaguar. So here's the question, is Bubsy for the Jaguar different from Bubsy 1 or 2 on the Genesis or SNES? If so, was the game any good? If it's different than 1 or 2 and is any good I might have to start hunting it down, since I am probably one of the few Bubsy fans around.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the Bubsy game on the Jaguar is an entirely original game.

I wouldn't consider myself a Bubsy fan, but I enjoyed the first game quite a bit. Despite the fact that it's essentially the exact same engine underlying both games, the Jaguar game is not as good as the original Bubsy, in my opinion. While the graphics are arguably better (arguable, I say, which is pretty bad considering this is a game presumably designed from the ground up on the Jag), the sound effects are actually worse and mostly the level designs aren't as interesting as far as pathways and enemy placement.

The world themes are the best thing about the Jag Bubsy game. Each level is based on a popular children's story and there's lots of nice humorous touches thrown in. Much better then the insanely generic platformer themes in the original game.

It's definitely a lot better than Zool 2, that's for sure, and personally I liked it more than Rayman, which I think is a terribly over-rated game (nice graphics, but terribly boring gameplay). If you like the other Bubsy games, I'm sure you'll like the Jag one, too.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I liked the 2D Bubsy games. I don't know why they got such a bad rap.

The move into 3D was a terrible idea that resulted in a terrible game. Ick.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks for reminding me that I still owe my younger sister a copy of Bubsy on Super NES. I sold her copy by accident in a lot sale over Ebay. So I need to pick one up.

I always thought Bubsy was a pretty fun game. Her and I played it all the time when it first came out and I still enjoy it today. Slightly slippery controls, below average collision detection and a few cheap deaths? Yeah, just the same as a bunch of other 2D platform games, including ones that were popular. So why single out the Bubsy games as everything that was wrong with the genre?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna have to start looking for Bubsy on the Jag.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarianoutkast85 View Post
    I'm gonna have to start looking for Bubsy on the Jag.

Bubsy on the Jag sucks. I enjoyed the first Bubsy on SNES, and when I got the Jag version, I naturally figured it would be just as good as 1 or 2 on SNES or Genesis, and most likely much better. In all honestly, I think it's much worse. In fact, I would rather play thru Bubsy 3D threee times, than Jag Bubsy once. That's just my personal take though, so consume it with a large grain of salt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey everyone, thanks for the information about Bubsy. I looked at a few pawn shops for any Jaguar games, I actually found three places that had a handful of different titles, but no luck on finding Bubsy for the Jag.
    So today I broke down and bought a complete copy threw someone on the internet, and actually this will be probably only the 12th to 15th game I've bought over the internet.
    I've just always liked the thrill of the hunt and finding that rare or prototype out in the wild. So I've never been a big fan of buying games offline, it's just not the same for me. But once in a blue-moon when there is a game I really want and I cant find it within a couple weeks or a month then I'll just break down and buy it offline. After looking for a few weeks, and pawn shops in five states (I drove from PA to TN, so before I left I looked on superpages and found a list of game stores, and pawn shops to shop at on the way to TN.) and not find it, I figured I wasnt going to find it anytime soon, especially since it's a Jaguar game so I broke down and bought it offline.
    Thank's again fellow DP'ers for all the information on the Bubsy game, I'll let everyone know if I like it or not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally i didn't care for bubsy on the atari jaguar, but i loved it for snes and genesis.
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great place to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game came in the mail, and I didnt think it was anything to write home about. Although I dont hate the game or anything.