Thread: Piracy isn't cheap!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Piracy isn't cheap!

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=15559

I have often wondered why the game industry doesn't use the music industry model of going after individuals who pirate games. I thought putting people caught stealing MP3's on TV to publicly admit to being a thief and explain the criminal and financial consequences for their actions was pretty effective. If the game industry would track IP's and randomly prosecute individuals under a zero tolerance policy, the word would get out that downloading a ROM, ISO or MAME isn't worth a one year sentence plus a $110,000 fine.
    I applaud these actions, but I would prefer to see some sort of restitution ordered to defray the cost to the public for their incarceration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

i say if someone emulates Galaga they should be shot in the face with acid. Also wild dogs should eat their genitals

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mien Weiner-schnitzel! MIEN GOTT! NIEN! Das ist schlet! MUTTER!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i am not huge into piracy (i do download the occasional movie or TV show to watch on my computer while I am in Japan), but I said do what you want to do as long as you keep it to yourself and don't profit off it.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Yes, because tracking IP addresses is reliable and the real hardcore pirates (the ones that should be tracked down) would NEVER think of how to circumvent it. If you buy that I have this wonderful bridge here...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    the word would get out that downloading a ROM, ISO or MAME isn't worth a one year sentence plus a $110,000 fine.
    You seriously think that downloading a game (which *at most* would cost the publisher maybe around $50) should be punishable with a year in prison and a $110,000 fine? That's a sure way to get people to sympathise with your cause...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Yes, because tracking IP addresses is reliable and the real hardcore pirates (the ones that should be tracked down) would NEVER think of how to circumvent it. If you buy that I have this wonderful bridge here...
    So you're suggesting that the non hard core pirates that this kind of sting would catch should just be forgiven?

They may not be kingpins but they are still catching people breaking the law.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    So you're suggesting that the non hard core pirates that this kind of sting would catch should just be forgiven?

They may not be kingpins but they are still catching people breaking the law.
    And they have tried to convict some people who have never committed the crime at all. What I'm saying is it's not always incontrovertible proof of the crime. We need a more reliable method of tracking the criminals, big or small.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have often wondered why the game industry doesn't use the music industry model of going after individuals who pirate games. I thought putting people caught stealing MP3's on TV to publicly admit to being a thief and explain the criminal and financial consequences for their actions was pretty effective. If the game industry would track IP's and randomly prosecute individuals under a zero tolerance policy, the word would get out that downloading a ROM, ISO or MAME isn't worth a one year sentence plus a $110,000 fine.
    I applaud these actions, but I would prefer to see some sort of restitution ordered to defray the cost to the public for their incarceration.
    you think downloading mame shoudl get you 110,000 fine and a sentence? MAME isn't even illegal!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not subscribe to your theory, sir.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

He was busted for trafficking games. That's distribution, which is the equivalent to those warnings you see at the beginning of DVD's warning about $250,000 fines.

It's not comparable at all, in any way, to downloading one or even dozens of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

While most people would see me as pretty hardline regarding software piracy (and to a much lesser extent, emulation); I do think there is a great deal of worth in permanently archiving software from a historical perspective. Especially in projects like MAME given how unique, and fragile, the arcade medium is and how quickly games are abandoned commercially.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with blissful 100%. Without MAME a lot of those games would e lost forever. People that pirate say... new copies of Halo 3, or leak pre-release games on the internet- that's a different thing altogether, and I guess they should be punished.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, the evidence about whether downloading music/film/television adversely affects record sales is flimsy at best, and there's just as much evidence that the process actually helps recording artists (especially independant ones). Usually, people who download large amounts of music are also those who spend considerable sums of money on shows/albums etc.

The argument that if you have 80 gigs worth of music on your iPod you would have bought all that music is absurd. That 80 gigs equals over 2000 individual CDs. At a cost of 20 dollars a pop, the music industry is arguing that, had you not downloaded the music you would have spent 40,000 dollars on CDs.

Come. The. F***. Off. Of. It. Do you know anyone whose EVER spent 40,000 dollars on music? How about 4000? 400? Yeah, exactly. Oh, and by the way. All those 12 year olds that the RIAA sues? Do you think the money from those lawsuits is funneled back to artists? NOSIREE! The RIAA has no funding mechanism to return these "lost profits" back to the poor starving rock stars who can barely eat because little Sarah downloaded 50 Cent.

This is a way of making money. Period. The RIAA and the MPAA intentionally SELECTS people who are of limited means (college students and low income families) who don't have the money to hire proper representation. Remember the story of the RIAA who sued a mother because her kids downloaded music? She actually fought it and argued that she had nothing to do with it, so the RIAA didn't have a case. The court agreed with her and threw it out. Know what the RIAA did? Sued her three children seperately. SUED. HER. CHILDREN. They finally dropped the case when the courts informed the recording industry that the state required them to pay for caretakers. Yeah. *Claps*

And by the way. Piracy /= file sharing. Piracy is the illegal reproduction and sale of a copyrighted producted designed to resemble a legitimate product. Filesharing is the act of distributing content over an internet connection. Different things entirely and in most countries that are not the United States, is protected under fair use laws.

Attacking filesharing is mostly about protecting territory. The music industry has an iron grip on how radio stations and the like play music. (Through legally binding "set lists") If independent artists start being recognized, they represent competition.

Oh and by the way. Did you know, if you ARE an independent artist and are lucky enough to get your music on a radio station you no longer own your own song? That's right boys and girls. You have to join the RIAA and request the royalties from YOUR OWN WORK. And joining the RIAA? That ain't free kids.
    Last edited by Wolfrider31; 09-21-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: ducktaped my naughty mouth
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that games should be archived for historical purposes, but let's be honest, that is not what 99.9% of MAME users are trying to do!

The game companies themselves should be archiving these games for historical purposes and most are.

Sorry to say, it's not up to us (as gamers) to archive anything ILLEGALLY. If you want to do it LEGALLY, by all means do it!

But please don't hide behind the excuse that you (meaning you in general-not you personally) need to download anything illegally to archive it. That's just utter BS!

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    I agree that games should be archived for historical purposes, but let's be honest, that is not what 99.9% of MAME users are trying to do!

The game companies themselves should be archiving these games for historical purposes and most are.

Sorry to say, it's not up to us (as gamers) to archive anything ILLEGALLY. If you want to do it LEGALLY, by all means do it!

But please don't hide behind the excuse that you (meaning you in general-not you personally) need to download anything illegally to archive it. That's just utter BS!
    One more point: We do need to define archiving before this debate goes any further.

Some define archiving as re-releasing the games. Others define it as a complete restoration to the original games already in existence. How do you guys define it?

That may be the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I do agree anyone who illegally downloads a 50 cent mp3 should be jailed.
    Also if they legally download a 50 cent mp3.
    Also if they listen to it on the radio.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    First off, the evidence about whether downloading music/film/television adversely affects record sales is flimsy at best, and there's just as much evidence that the process actually helps recording artists (especially independant ones). Usually, people who download large amounts of music are also those who spend considerable sums of money on shows/albums etc.

The argument that if you have 80 gigs worth of music on your iPod you would have bought all that music is absurd. That 80 gigs equals over 2000 individual CDs. At a cost of 20 dollars a pop, the music industry is arguing that, had you not downloaded the music you would have spent 40,000 dollars on CDs.

Come. The. Fuck. Off. Of. It. Do you know anyone whose EVER spent 40,000 dollars on music? How about 4000? 400? Yeah, exactly. Oh, and by the way. All those 12 year olds that the RIAA sues? Do you think the money from those lawsuits is funneled back to artists? NOSIREE! The RIAA has no funding mechanism to return these "lost profits" back to the poor starving rock stars who can barely eat because little Sarah downloaded 50 Cent.

This is a way of making money. Period. The RIAA and the MPAA intentionally SELECTS people who are of limited means (college students and low income families) who don't have the money to hire proper representation. Remember the story of the RIAA who sued a mother because her kids downloaded music? She actually fought it and argued that she had nothing to do with it, so the RIAA didn't have a case. The court agreed with her and threw it out. Know what the RIAA did? Sued her three children seperately. SUED. HER. CHILDREN. They finally dropped the case when the courts informed the recording industry that the state required them to pay for caretakers. Yeah. *Claps*

And by the way. Piracy /= file sharing. Piracy is the illegal reproduction and sale of a copyrighted producted designed to resemble a legitimate product. Filesharing is the act of distributing content over an internet connection. Different things entirely and in most countries that are not the United States, is protected under fair use laws.

Attacking filesharing is mostly about protecting territory. The music industry has an iron grip on how radio stations and the like play music. (Through legally binding "set lists") If independent artists start being recognized, they represent competition.

Oh and by the way. Did you know, if you ARE an independent artist and are lucky enough to get your music on a radio station you no longer own your own song? That's right boys and girls. You have to join the RIAA and request the royalties from YOUR OWN WORK. And joining the RIAA? That ain't free kids.

This may surprise some of you, but I tend to agree. He is right in what he is saying, as much as I don't like the foul language! You can research this all you want and you will come to the same conclusion.

The music industry has been "shooting themselves in their own feet" for years. They actually need to go back and modify their business plans and help artists and quite attempting to dominate control in a business they are steadily destroying.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have zero pity for the RIAA and their tactics. I have to stop myself from shaking my head whenever I see another article about the recording industry that basically says "sales are down 2% this year because of piracy".

I would hope that the gaming industry would use the RIAA and their tactics as a guide on how to *NOT* combat the threat of piracy.

I'm not a fan of piracy, but i'm also not a fan of blaming piracy for all problems either.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
    i say if someone emulates Galaga they should be shot in the face with acid. Also wild dogs should eat their genitals
    Or kill two birds with one stone and get acid spitting dogs who have a taste for genitals. Sweet delicious genitals.