Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An insight on the death of an Everquest player....

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default An insight on the death of an Everquest player....

Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is just a excuse this lady is trying to use to blame someone other than herself for not taking responsibility for her own sons life. She should of known the problem and done everything she could of to help her son NOT blame a video game.

Giving fuel to Senator Lieberman, to ban violent and addictive videogames.

Dig Dug

Sorry for the rant I have been playing eq now for almost 3 years and I KNOW the difference between reality and EQ world.
    Currently Playing:
    X-Box 360: Rock Band, Dark Sector, Orange Box, Mass Effect, Scene IT DVD (360) Bully (360 Version)

Can't wait for Bioshock 2 !!!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

That's an old story (it dates back from a year ago, and it was discussed here), but stories like that are always good media bait for alarmist reports that serve Lieberman well (as much as I dislike Bush and the Republicans, imagine if Gore had been President... Lieberman would have been Vice-President!). I dunno how many more years it will take before videogames lose that stigmata.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depression?

Nah.

Schitzoid personality disorder?

Nah.

I know! It's all the PC game's fault! That makes sense and gives me a scapegoat who just happens to have a lot of money!

Jeez. I know it's gotta be a horrible thing to lose a child, but don't try to cope by being a moron.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you see that bitch on 20/20?

"MY SON WAS SO BEATIFUL, AND THAT GAME TOOK HIM WAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHH!"

Let's see... previous suicide attempts (not mentioned by 20/20 of course), no social life, learning disabilities, speech problems, manic depression... someone needs to tell that bitch that Everquest was likely the only thing keeping him alive.

This shit really bothers me. Everyone looks for scapegoats. The same exact bullshit happened with Dungeons & Dragons... maybe before I was born (not sure the timeline... I was born in 81), but certainly before I was old enough to give a shit about such things. But to this day people associate D&D with people going into sewers and offing themseleves, when in fact only a handful of people did.

Newsflash: people kill themseleves all the time. There is a lot of reasons why people do it. Some out of fear, others out of sadness, and some out of feeling completely hopeless. To everyone else looking at the case, there is no way in hell that you can possibly fathom what the fuck was going on in their heads, but at the end of the day they're still dead, so who gives a shit? As far as I'm considered, I'm happy that fucker killed himself. Why? Because anyone who would go that far over a fucking videogame has lost all sense of reality, and I would rather that person be dead then pose even the slightest harm to socity at large. That might seem awful or mean or whatever, but I would rather that person be dead then that person go crazy and start picking off people that may or may not include people I hold near and dear to my heart.

If she sues and wins, I'm going to sue her for making me suicidal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is old and talked to death.. the kid had issues and delt with them in a kinda permanent way. His mom is just looking for some bank.. To play EQ you have to agree to a set of terms that killed her legal actions a long time ago...

Some 15 year old kid killed himself last week with UT2k3 on his computer.. and the week before, and the week before, and...

..and a kid was playing Zork during the week he killed himself...
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Old news.

Evercrack must die!@
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, Everquest Online Adventures (PS2) is the single funnest, thrilling online game I have ever payed. I love it and play it every day, it is al I have played for 4 weeks now, I haven't touched any of my other games, and I really think I'm addicted, but there's no turning around for me now..I'm too far in....W00T!!
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    This shit really bothers me. Everyone looks for scapegoats. The same exact bullshit happened with Dungeons & Dragons... maybe before I was born (not sure the timeline... I was born in 81), but certainly before I was old enough to give a shit about such things. But to this day people associate D&D with people going into sewers and offing themseleves, when in fact only a handful of people did.
    I think the D&D issues happened during the late-late 70's and early 80's. Not only were there the suicide issues, there were also religious issues. Many religious groups were saying that playing D&D was "Evil" as it would lead to worshipping pagan gods or doing evil acts or finding "evil" acts not so bad or some other BS. Just goes to show how much research these yahoos actually do-pick the worst scenario and see it as happening in every session.

Want some good laughs? Check these out:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp This section is called "Dark Dungeons". See what happens when Debbie's Cleric reaches 8th level and the DM wants to teach her "real spells". You'll find other D&D related stuff there.

One site says this :"After an exhaustive research one commission, the Christian Life Ministries, tells the naked truth through these incisive comments: 'Dungeons & Dragons, instead of a game is a teaching on demonology, witchcraft, voodoo, murder, rape, blasphemy, suicide, assassination, insanity, sex perversion, homosexuality, prostitution, Satan-worship, gambling, jungian psychology, barbarism, cannibalism, sadism, desecration, demon summoning, necromantics, divination, and many more teachings, brought to you in living color direct from the pit of hell.'" Go here to read more:http://www.techplus.com/bkjv1611/bd0073.htm

Oy. It's amazing that these people, who do research on a holy tome to decipher its meanings and then follow those meanings, don't take the time to figure out what something is before labeling it. I have yet to find a person who spouts this stuff to actually pick up my Dungeon Masters or Player's Handbook and show me what's satanic or wrong. Usually the response is "it just is" as they push the book away.

My wife had to restrain herself from saying something when a guest speaker at her church was spouting stuff about AD&D and showing the offending books. She said it took all her will to not go up, look at the books and start saying "got it, need it, got it, got it, don't got it". She is an evil Sunday school teacher

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My.God. people are fu***** idiots.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    My wife had to restrain herself from saying something when a guest speaker at her church was spouting stuff about AD&D and showing the offending books. She said it took all her will to not go up, look at the books and start saying "got it, need it, got it, got it, don't got it". She is an evil Sunday school teacher

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I reaaly hate it when shit like this happens, same with cigerettes, and such....It called responsibility, and people need to take some.

If you trip over a crack in the sidewalk you can sue the city, watch where you're walking moron.

You smoke cigerettes and get cancer, and sue the tobacco companies. heed the damn warning that's been on the side of the pack since 1964.

Your kid commits suicide because everquest is the only reality he's ever known, pay a little attention to you kids life.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, her "kid" was a grown man I believe, HE should be able to control his own damn self, and quite frankly, if he is that stupid, then he deserves to die. >

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    One site says this :"After an exhaustive research one commission, the Christian Life Ministries, tells the naked truth through these incisive comments: 'Dungeons & Dragons, instead of a game is a teaching on demonology, witchcraft, voodoo, murder, rape, blasphemy, suicide, assassination, insanity, sex perversion, homosexuality, prostitution, Satan-worship, gambling, jungian psychology, barbarism, cannibalism, sadism, desecration, demon summoning, necromantics, divination, and many more teachings, brought to you in living color direct from the pit of hell.'" Go here to read more:http://www.techplus.com/bkjv1611/bd0073.htm
    Oh JESUS NO! NOT JUNGIAN PSYCHOLOGY!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Quote Originally Posted by udisi
    I reaaly hate it when shit like this happens, same with cigerettes, and such....It called responsibility, and people need to take some.

If you trip over a crack in the sidewalk you can sue the city, watch where you're walking moron.

You smoke cigerettes and get cancer, and sue the tobacco companies. heed the damn warning that's been on the side of the pack since 1964.

Your kid commits suicide because everquest is the only reality he's ever known, pay a little attention to you kids life.
    Exactly. IMHO, anyone that kills themselves over a video game is WACKED from the start.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I reaaly hate it when shit like this happens, same with cigerettes, and such....It called responsibility, and people need to take some."

That's bad, but then you have people suing the dairy industry because Milk has too much fat in it, and they are addicted to stuff like Ice Cream and Yogurt. Well no fucking shit! Milk is designed to help baby cows grow you stupid fucking twats.

As far as cigarettes go, I think it's outrageous that the goverment puts taxes on it and booze because they care for you and they want to see you live. Which is horse shit, and a betrayal worthy of Sammy the Bull, because if bubble gum had 1/18th of the cancer causing agents of tobacco they would pull it off the shelf in a heart beat. By taxing this stuff, they are making decisions for me and I don't like that. They're telling me that alcohol and tobacco are bad and church and school are good and of course I couldn't disagree more.

Do I think that a person should be able to sue the tobacco companies? No. Do I think someone should be able to sue the alcohol companies? No. Do I think someone should be able to sue a bar that sold alcohol to a person who got drunk and ran over a loved one of theirs? Yes. That's pretty much my stance on the matter.

People like to sue other people. If you find the right lawyer you can sue anyone for just about anything, and it seems like easy money. When I filled out my Survivor application, one of the questions was, "If you could hold any political office, what would it be and why?" I put down "Supreme Ruler of the Earth, so I could eradicate everyone who has filed bullshit lawsuits."

A lawyer named Stacey Stillman, who was a contestant on the first Survivor, is suing because she lost. Seriously, she claims that the producer, Mark Burnett, told people to vote off her instead of 72 year old Navy Seal Rudy. She claims that nobody would have wanted to vote her off because she ate three bugs during an immunity challenge. But she has no case because everyone is denying it, and her exit speech proved how bitter she was. "I heard those assholes had to walk back to camp in the rain, which makes me happy because I'm really pissed off they voted me off. They kicked off their bug eating hero instead of thier Navy Seal (rudy). It works out fine for me because I get to sleep in a nice bed and they have to sleep in a leaky shelter."

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OZZY's "Suicide Solution"--Ozzy came out of the speakers, held the shotgun to my face, put my finger on the trigger, and pushed it.

Faith No More's "Be Aggressive" made me kill my parents--I mean, c'mon, it commanded me to be aggressive, and even spelled it out...
    (Actually, this is no bullshit...)

The Columbine shooters liked RAMMSTEIN, who have pyrotechnics and speak German, so they MUST be evil brainwashing Nazis...

I could go ON AND ON AND ON AND ON with such examples of music, especially heavy metal, being used as a scapegoat.
    I've heard people condemn Metallica's "Master of Puppets" as extreme, harmful content!!! Because they talk about drugs!! Abuse!! Even at 12 I knew THEY WERE CONDEMNING IT!!!!!!!!!JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!!!!!
    OK.....>whew<...gotta go now...

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the record, I don't think the example of cigarettes and tobacco companies is analogous because:
    companies target pre-teens, minors not old enough to legally buy cigarettes, to get them hooked for life, KNOWING FULL WELL that cigarettes are incredibly addictive. Yes, there are warning labels, but nicotine (a powerful poison used as an insecticide) is one of the most physically addictive substantives on earth, and of course they know that. Nicotine could be delivered via eating, making it much less harmful to the user, but it's not an efficient delivery system like a cigarette. Ciggie companies consciously make these decisions. Why else would cigarettes, despite all the education to the contrary, be such a huge industry?
    Add that to the harmful additives that they work hard to cover up, and the disinformation they give to the consuming public, my position is they have what's coming to them. I honestly don't care.
    Not really similar to EverQuest. People don't die DIRECTLY from playing EverQuest.
    Anyway. That's just my position so flame away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

So these sort of things didn't happen before videogames appeared in the 1970s?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am trying to find that idiots mom's email address, or some way to contact her, I will be writing her a nasty letter, it may be too late, but better now than never!

It pisses me off the more i think about it.