Thread: Questions about Game Genie for the Genesis

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions about Game Genie for the Genesis

Over the years of collecting I managed to get two different Game Genie for the Genesis. I finally got around to testing them last night and I was wondering what are the differences between the two? Aside from the label, it seems the be the same exact thing. I have the 1991 gold label one and the 1992 black label one.

Also, I was trying to get these to work on the Genesis 3, but for some reason they would not work. Did the Genesis 3 lock out the usage of Game Genies? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis 3 is a 3rd party system and the architecture is a bit different, not allowing the Gen3 model to use Game Genie. I'm not familiar with the 2 versions of the Game Genie but I believe one short circuits one of the Genesis Models or adds compatibility to a few games. Someone else would know.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't a clue as to the difference between a gold and black GG. I've never heard anything to suggest there was much difference aside from the label color.

As for the Genesis 3, I thought the problem stemmed from some of the various chips that were left out of the G3 which led to its incompatibility. Again, not really sure.

I do, however, know that you can use a GG (without codes) to get early pre-lockout Genesis games to work on later Model 1 system and even Model 2 systems. I got "Budokan" to run on a Nomad.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm going to bump this old thread because I'm also curious to know which Genesis version came first, and if there are any differences at all besides the label.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I'm going to bump this old thread because I'm also curious to know which Genesis version came first, and if there are any differences at all besides the label.
    I don't know which came when, but I would imagine that the only difference would be that whichever came later would have had an updated codebook with newer games added.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The OP just said 1991 gold label, 1992 black label... did you miss that part?

The NES was the same way. Gold came first, didn't fit in the top loader because the pins were too wide. Then the black label came out. Then the latest ones manufactured after the top loader came out kept the black label but had thinner pins so it would work without an adapter.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The OP just said 1991 gold label, 1992 black label... did you miss that part?

The NES was the same way. Gold came first, didn't fit in the top loader because the pins were too wide. Then the black label came out. Then the latest ones manufactured after the top loader came out kept the black label but had thinner pins so it would work without an adapter.
    Yes I did miss that part, thanks. The OP also said it seemed to be the same, but he appeared to be asking confirmation if there were any differences or not. Not enough responses (and none with a definite answer), so I bumped it.

I did not know about the NES having two as well. I got mine as soon as it came out, because I was nervous it would be discontinued with all the legal problems it earlier had. Still have it boxed today.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

They changed the packaging for the genesis version to be more cost effective, the first came in a large oversize box, the non-shiny label one came in a smaller box with a smaller black and white "paper" manual. functionally they are both identical.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just found a picture of the NES top loader Game Genie on NintendoAge. I didn't realize that it even said on it specifically that it is for use with that particular model. My uncle once found one of these on Craigslist with a toploader:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?Fus...=9152&sID=9152

It says it is pretty uncommon with a rarity of 7, while toploaders and standalone dogbone controllers are both considered a 6. Still that means there is a pretty good ratio of these Game Genie models to the number of those consoles available unless people with clone consoles start buying them to try and find out if they will work on those.

EDIT: I had been under the impression that this was in fact a Game Genie by itself. My uncle's old copy must have had the black Game Genie plugged into the top of it or else it wouldn't have worked on its own.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 03-16-2015 at 05:28 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

You could order them dirrectly from galoob for a couple years, but almost nobody ever did, I was always curious how they came packaged ,never seen one complete before.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I did not know about the NES having two as well. I got mine as soon as it came out, because I was nervous it would be discontinued with all the legal problems it earlier had. Still have it boxed today.
    Heh, I was so worried about it that while Galoob was under a restraining order preventing them from selling the US NES version, I convinced my parents we should go to Canada for the day so I could get the one Camerica was already selling there. (They wouldn't go just for that, but there was some other stuff we did while there that made them okay with going). Would have been fine if my sister hadn't been an idiot and insisted that she should have to get a Cabbage Patch Kid, same ones they were selling back home, and throwing a fit until my parents gave in. Just the Game Genie would've been under the limit for paying a fee coming back across the border, but adding that doll to the price put it over, and we had to sit there at the crossing for quite a while for some reason to pay (things never go fast at the border). Stupid sister.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I was fortunate that my uncle played hockey in canadia and he picked one up and mailed it to me, right before nintendo lost the lawsuit and they were made legal in the us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    You could order them dirrectly from galoob for a couple years, but almost nobody ever did, I was always curious how they came packaged ,never seen one complete before.
    They came packaged in a small bubble wrapper with a small instruction card in a plain white box. No retail packaging.