Thread: Play PAL Final Fantasy X on NTSC ps2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Play PAL Final Fantasy X on NTSC ps2?

I wanted an english version of FFX International so I bought the PAL version. I realize that something needs to be done to get it to run on my NTSC ps2, but what is that something?

I've got an 80GB HDD in my ps2 with HDLoader and a Gameshark v2. I figured between these two options I could do something to get it to run but so far have had no luck.

Is there anything I can do? Maybe rip it into an iso and patch it somehow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

edit: I just read something online that FFX International (NTSC-J) contains english. If this is true, would it be easier to run on my ps2 than the PAL version?
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-22-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, FFX international JPN version is in both full english and Japanese. I'd recommend going for the JPN version (its out cheap as an 'ultimate hits' title) since the PAL version had a really bad conversion (slow and big black borders making Tidus look like a hobbit!).
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enixis View Post
    Yes, FFX international JPN version is in both full english and Japanese. I'd recommend going for the JPN version (its out cheap as an 'ultimate hits' title) since the PAL version had a really bad conversion (slow and big black borders making Tidus look like a hobbit!).
    Thanks for the response!

Is it just the cut scenes that have english language? Are the menus in english text too? Is it difficult to get the Japanese FFX-Int to run on a North American PS2?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Thanks for the response!

Is it just the cut scenes that have english language? Are the menus in english text too? Is it difficult to get the Japanese FFX-Int to run on a North American PS2?
    You're gonna love this! Basically its:

- English / Japanese Dialogue (selectable) <-- Includes cut scenes / voice acting
    - English / Japanese Menus (selectable)
    - English / Japanese Subtitles (selectable)

So essentially you can 'pick and mix' the options you prefer. You could go for Japanese dialogue, with English menus and English subs or English dialogue, with English menus and Japanese subs or just plainly full English or full Japanese. If i recall correctly, you should also have the option to switch between English and Japanese Menus and Subtitles in the options menu, but dialogue selection is fixed after selection when you start the game.

If you've already got a modchip installed on your ps2, it should have no problems running [I've played the game on my NA ps2 with the old Messiah 1 installed, ran fine]. I have no idea if it will run with the more ancient swap tricks though.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks a lot for all the info

I found the following on another site I found via google:

If U haven't got a modchip, installing games using the PS2 won't happen (the PS2 will reject the disc). U have to use a PC to install them. Once they are on the HDD though, they run fine (ALL my games on my HDD are Jap, and I have a PAL console) Source
    I've found the same thing on a couple of different sites. Apparently HDLoader will load a different region game once they're on the hard drive, so you can either get them there by installing the game onto the hard drive by PC or by using the network adapter from another ps2 from the correct region that has the game installed on the hard drive.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are those HDLoader programs any good btw? I've been thinking of getting one for my PAL PSTwo. I'm running a v14 PSTwo so my best option would be the USBeXtreme, however i'm really hesistant if the compatability of games is really low.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HDLoader and HDAdvance are the same thing, and they're great. The compatibility isn't 100%, for instance Final Fantasy XII doesn't work, parts of Kingdom Hearts II don't work (the gummi ship parts), etc... Most games work just fine though, load faster, and don't run out your laser.

But you need a fat ps2 for them to work since you need to have a hard drive installed.

edit: I should add that you can get even non compatible games to work by patching them, although I never bother with this type of thing
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-23-2007 at 05:21 PM.