Thread: Weird problem w/a Virtua Cop 2 ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Weird problem w/a Virtua Cop 2 ??

Ok, it's like this. Got a Virtua Cop 2, powers on, works great, except....

Sometimes (could be an hour, or a week) it'll go to a half a credit (2 coins to play), and it stays there. You can insert coins/service switch it all day long, and nothing happens. Still says half a credit.

Unplug the machine, plug it back in, works great until it happens again.

Put the board on the bench, ran it for about a week (24 hours a day), works great.

Really, there's nothing else in the cabinet that would cause this problem, I would think. Coin switches are not binding up or anything, they ring out ok on the meter, I can't seem to figure this one out. Anyone have any ideas??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it actually changing the coin settings? Do you have it set up on 2 coins to play?

I would check the obvious first. Double check all of the connections.
    I had a Model 1 board that was doing screwy things intermittently, but after reseating the connectors, it has been fine.
    My SEGA racers at Arcade Crusade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been a while since I had the thing running, but I believe it would display something really screwy in the coin settings, something like 2 credits to start, but a credit was 99 coins or something along that line. Either way, it shouldn't matter, because when you hit the service button, doesn't matter how many coins it's set at, most Sega games automatically give one full credit (regardless of the price to play).

So, if I credit it through the switch, obviously if it WAS 99 coins to start, it'd take you a while, but if I service it, it should hit it right away. Also, I seem to recall it would display on the screen something like credits 1/2/2 (1/2 out of 2). Something strange like that.

I've pulled the board, and just re-connected it recently (been probably 2 months since I've had the access to put this thing back together), so I'll run it a little bit, and see if it acts up again. As you said, could be something as stupid as a poor connection, but I did check them once previously, didn't notice anything obvious (no dangling wires, corrosion,etc), but if it acts up again, I'll try and post pics of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It could also be your power supply crapping out. One of my Daytona boards did something similar right before the power supply finally died. This would also explain why it works on the bench (assuming you are using a different power supply) and acts up in the cabinet.
    My SEGA racers at Arcade Crusade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a possibility I hadn't considered (sometimes it's right in front of you, you know?). I haven't seen any other signs of a bad P/S though i.e. rebooting, garbled graphics, etc., but it's worth a shot to change it out and see, I suppose.