Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you buy replacement game labels for NES Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I would like to table this discussion, since most hard core collectors seem to have agreed that the labels are a bad idea. Thank you everybody for your input it was appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Get in touch with the folks over at www.thecoverproject.net . . . they would be interested in helping, I bet.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheshire191's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

once again I'll ask .. how do you plan on getting the licensing for the repo labels?

epeciallly if you plan on getting them to look good, you'll have to get the artwork from somewhere.
    ..:: If Linux isn't the solution ... you have the wrong problem ::..

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amateur restoration kills value. Professional restoration on the other hand, does not. Otherwise, why would museums even have a restoration/preservation department? It maybe apples/oranges to some, but for others it's a fine idea. Think about it and turn down the sensitivity a notch folks.

I have a dead Actraiser cart with a perfect label. I consider it junk compared to a working game with a peeled-of-by-a-screwdriver label. It's all perspective.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 09-27-2007 at 01:29 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Amateur restoration kills value. Professional restoration on the other hand, does not. Otherwise, why would museums even have a restoration/preservation department? It maybe apples/oranges to some, but for others it's a fine idea. Think about it and turn down the sensitivity a notch folks.

I have a dead Actraiser cart with a perfect label. I consider it junk compared to a working game with a peeled-of-by-a-screwdriver label. It's all perspective.

Wrong again! You are not applying your findings to collectibles! If you would take a look at the comic book collectibles market for one second you would see what I mean!

Same is true in toys and action figures.

Do some research please...okay?

Then post! Google is your friend!

Museums are a little different. Those are one of a kind works of art, a.k.a. antiquities=more than 1,000 years old! Not apllicable to what we are discussing.
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-27-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Starwander, are hardcore gamers your target market? If not, you shouldn't care if they won't buy your product.

I would think your target market would be a) resellers, who can get a better price for a shiny new label than one with scribblings all over it in permanent ink, and b) gamer-collectors, who also would be willing to pay a little bit of money to have a nicer-looking label.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    Again, I have to ask:

Would he even be able to make labels that exactly resemble the originals? I highly doubt this is possible. Maybe you can answer this question, please?
    Not unless he has original artwork for them, either electronic files or printing plates, broken down into the CMYK standard used when printing in full-color on an actual printing press. We're talking four individual images combined to create one full-color.

I work for a company that, given the correct label printing stock(plus extra gloss coating) and artwork, would have the ability to produce these labels, complete with rounded edges that could pass as 99% original. That kind of stuff is out of our particular scope, though.

It would be cost-prohibitive, however, thanks to the cost of the stock itself, time involved with setup and labor, not to mention minimum quantities of at least 50k per label. Granted, we are more set-up for large orders of forms, but I think that even a short-run printer would be WAY over any kind of feasible cost.

Then you're back to the amateur level, which is alright for personal use but not for wider distribution.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 09-27-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Not unless he has original artwork for them, either electronic files or printing plates, broken down into the CMYK standard used when printing in full-color on an actual printing press. We're talking four individual images combined to create one full-color.

I work for a company that, given the correct label printing stock(plus extra gloss coating) and artwork, would have the ability to produce these labels, complete with rounded edges that could pass as 99% original. That kind of stuff is out of our particular scope, though.

It would be cost-prohibitive, however, thanks to the cost of the stock itself, time involved with setup and labor, not to mention minimum quantities of at least 50k per label. Granted, we are more set-up for large orders of forms, but I think that even a short-run printer would be WAY over any kind of feasible cost.

Then you're back to the amateur level, which is alright for personal use but not for wider distribution.
    Thank you! This was the answer I was originally looking for! I greatly appreciate the response from a knowledgable source.

Hopefully, the legal end of this issue will prevent this from happening (i.e. fake lables). I know Disney is over-protective of anyone reprinting any of their copyrights. Hopefully Nintendo has the same stance, as most companies do.

If it would only pass as 99% authentic, then a trained eye could spot it, that's what I am looking for!

"Restoration" in the collectibles market kills value...

and to answer the other question...I'm a hardcore collector, not a hardcore gamer! I don't have the time to be a hardcore gamer..., I wish I did!
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-27-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. It ruins the authenticity of it. Would you buy new covers for your old comic books? New non-OEM sheetmetal for your vintage car?

That's my personal opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well just to restate I already understand this is a bad idea, so if you want to keep discussing it please go ahead, but any comments directed at me won’t be responded to. Since people have made their point very clear. I have deleted my original post.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    Well just to restate I already understand this is a bad idea, so if you want to keep discussing it please go ahead, but any comments directed at me won’t be responded to. Since people have made their point very clear. I have deleted my original post.
    Fair enough. Please understand I did not mean to offend you, but in other collecting fields, what you are trying or wanting to do is looked down upon and strongly discouraged.

In some cases, legal action has been taken to prevent it! Not only by individual copyright holders, but also collectors themselves. Some thoughts to consider, but thank you for asking for our opinions, as I am sure we all appreciate it.