Thread: Famicom Disk System power supply question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famicom Disk System power supply question.

Does anyone know if the PSU that's usable for the Famicom Disk System is the same as the adapter for the Famicom console? Also, I just read in an old thread here that it is acceptable to use a Sega Genesis Model 1 PSU on a Famicom console. I just want to make sure that is correct and if so, assuming the FDS uses the same PSU, could another Genny PSU be used in the Disk machineas well?
    I seriously do not want to fry either one of them since they are not the cheapest items to come by.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, it's OK to use a Genesis 1 power supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've used the Genesis 1 on the original Famicom, and the newer top loading famicom with no problems.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The adapter for the FDS is NOT the same as the famicom. You can use batteries on the FDS, though.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just recently got a custom ac adaptor that is about 1/3 of the size of a Famicom AC Adaptor and has a splitter on the end. It powers both the Famicom & Disk System with one tiny adaptor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    I just recently got a custom ac adaptor that is about 1/3 of the size of a Famicom AC Adaptor and has a splitter on the end. It powers both the Famicom & Disk System with one tiny adaptor.
    Where did you get that and how much was it? That would definitely be a lot more convenient.

Thanks to everyone above for their help as well. I appreciate it.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can only buy the AC adaptor Family Computer was talking about in Asia. I would love to get one of those too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Moved to the tech forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    You can only buy the AC adaptor Family Computer was talking about in Asia. I would love to get one of those too.
    I have no problem at all with importing anything from Asia. As long as it's from a reputable source. I just need to know exactly where to get one. Is there a special name for this item? I'm not having much luck locating one. Searches for "Famicom power supply/adapter, etc" come up with a billion and one unrelated items. It's very frustrating.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarthKur View Post
    Where did you get that and how much was it? That would definitely be a lot more convenient.

Thanks to everyone above for their help as well. I appreciate it.
    Yeah, that's odd. My understanding was they took two different adapters with different power requirements. Also, does it cause any interference or lines or fuzzon the screen?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it from tea4two.co.jp

Unfortunately, they only ship to Japan, but the actual adaptor seems to be a standard one made by another company. The adaptor cost around $15 and it can power the famicom, but in order to power both with that single adaptor, I needed to purchase an $8 DC Splitter from the same site.

Yeah, you normally need 2 of the rectangular brick sized adaptors to power both, and the FC and Disk System adaptors are different. That is what is great about the setup that Tea4Two sells.

After hooking it all up and seeing how small the plug was, I ordered a replacement adaptor for my Super Famicom and plan to go with Tea4Two when I finally get my modded Turbo Duo RX. Having the 1/3 bricks really comes in handy when you have 10+ systems hooked up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    I got it from tea4two.co.jp

Unfortunately, they only ship to Japan, but the actual adaptor seems to be a standard one made by another company. The adaptor cost around $15 and it can power the famicom, but in order to power both with that single adaptor, I needed to purchase an $8 DC Splitter from the same site.comes in handy when you have 10+ systems hooked up.
    That's extremely disappointing. I'm assuming you live in Japan then. I noticed a FDS kit that came with the belt, a/c adapter, the splitter cable and four small rubber feet. It was located near the bottom of a page as an option. Sadly, I can't find it again. I would really like to get that kit. It would obviously be the best value. I don't suppose there are any exceptions to their policy on worldwide shipping? I also noticed that there are two different versions of the splitter. A normal one and an "inverted" one. What I can gather, from using a less that perfect translation, is that the normal one works with the original adapter and the inverted one is need with the new small sized one. Is this correct?
    Is there any chance of my getting these things here in the U.S. or am I out of luck?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey sorry this post got moved and I did not see your reply...

Yeah the site sells 2 different versions of the adaptor, one that works with Famicom/Super Famicom and one for the PC Engine. The 2 different splitters are to match it to the one that you have.

Anyway, I don't think they will ship outside of Japan, but you could always contact them, but it probably won't be worth it for them.

Yeah, they sell replacement rubber feet for both the Famicom and the disk system, as well as brand new drive belts. They also sell lockout disabled famicoms and will replace warn out disk drives.

They definitely have some interesting stuff, but they are a bit pricey. I am sure if you did the research, however, a similar AC Adaptor/Splitter setup must be available outside of Japan.