Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $25 savings leads to $300 purchase! (Wii)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default $25 savings leads to $300 purchase! (Wii)

I’ve been putting off buying a Wii for some time now (trying to get all of the love out of my Game Cube). When Super Paper Mario came out I was SO tempted to get a Wii…hell, even my wife has been begging for mr to get one (she loves the damn thing more than I do). I put it off and from time to time I saw one here or there in stock in various stores.

When it had only been out for a few weeks, I landed up getting one for my buddy (found one in a K-Mart when I was out of town) but a for me, I still put it off…

Not too long ago, my buddy got Super Paper Mario and even though I played it and loved it…I just kept thinking Wii + extra controller + Paper Mario = $$$$...

Fast forward to today.

I went into a local pawn shop to look for some games. After thumbing through 100 different SNES, Genesis and N64 EA Sport titles I happened to come across a pile of Wii games. Just like it was my destiny, there sat Super Paper Mario and for $25! I thought to myself, “Gee, I bet the game is scratched all to hell or something.” I picked it up and it was perfect. As you can guess, I gladly shelled out the $25.

Driving home I kept looking down at the game wanting to play it, but then I just kept thinking about that $300 I’d have to shell out for the system and controller (Yes, the controller is necessary, my wife would MURDER me if I showed up without one for her!).

In the hour it took for me to get home, I succumbed to the pressure and decided what the hell, you only live once! I stopped by a local K-Mart and found they had zero consoles...not a huge surprise. As a matter of fact, the lady informed me that they wouldn’t be getting any until November for some reason (Not so sure about this, anyone else heard this?). I left empty handed and decided to go by a GameStop…

Same story…zero consoles.

I finally had to stop by Wal Mart to get a few things and decided that even though they had no Wii’s on Tuesday, the last time I was there (yes, I look often, I enjoy torturing myself…) I'd give it a try anyway.

I get a few things and when I went to the rear of the store…..I WAS SHOCKED…there sat 2 Wii’s! Needless to say I GLADLY bought one. Funny enough, the $25 I saved on SPM landed up costing me an extra $300 just a few hours later...and you know what, I couldn't be happier. What perfect timing.

I’m going to trick my wife when she gets home and surprise her with it. I'll show here the deal I got on the game and play up the fact that I “wish I could play the game I just bought.” When she makes a “I told you to get one when you had the chance!” comment….I pull it out form behind the couch.

Anyway, kinda lame story but I hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by smokehouse; 09-27-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lucky....If I brought home something I paid $300 for without checking first, my wife would have my nuts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickHarrisMaine View Post
    Lucky....If I brought home something I paid $300 for without checking first, my wife would have my nuts!
    Sounds like she already does!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, that's why bachelorhood is the best way. Sure, you get so lonely that you drink yourself to sleep, but at least you get to buy the toys you want
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sounds like she already has 'em!

EDIT: D'oh! Some sumbitch beat me to it. lol.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, if my wife has my nuts and it equates to her nagging me to buy game consoles…I’m all for it!

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's great, but, fuckin Nintendo will get you. You already dropped $300, but is that enough for them? No! Wanna play some VC games? Add another $20 for the classic controller, two if your wife plays! Want some friends over to play? Another $120 for controllers for them. Now you need rechargable battery packs for those controllers, $70. Don't forget the Wii component cable, $35. Yer also gonna need some space for all those VC games, 2GB SD $50. Finally, yer gonna get sick of Paper Mario eventually, add in $50 for another game. Grand Total = $665!

Damn Nintendo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    That's great, but, fuckin Nintendo will get you. You already dropped $300, but is that enough for them? No! Wanna play some VC games? Add another $20 for the classic controller, two if your wife plays! Want some friends over to play? Another $120 for controllers for them. Now you need rechargable battery packs for those controllers, $70. Don't forget the Wii component cable, $35. Yer also gonna need some space for all those VC games, 2GB SD $50. Finally, yer gonna get sick of Paper Mario eventually, add in $50 for another game. Grand Total = $665!

Damn Nintendo!
    I was just waiting for one of these responses, didn't even bother reading the OP as responses are what it's all about.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    I was just waiting for one of these responses, didn't even bother reading the OP as responses are what it's all about.
    You really should read the “OP”…

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Damn Nintendo!
    HAHAHA. You know, the VC is, to me, one of the best things about the system. When I had a Wii, I played the VC just as much as the Wii games.

All this Wii talk has made me realize that I have to go out and get a Wii again. I want to play with the Wiiblaster and Mario Galaxy and Metroid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn Nintendo!
    You really love razzing this guy don't ya?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

women love the wii which is why I had to buy one-bought mine used though with component cables and a classic controller thing was mint also had wario game with it-280 shipped! Anyway you guys will have fun with it, I'm sure she'll love it.

As for the kmart thing I run the electronics department and we're having an event/sale thing in november so we're hoarding all the wii's we get until then. Its been a month since we started this, I have one in my stockroom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I surprised my wife with it…she was like a kid on Christmas morning!

I had it hidden and after making a comment or two (or three) about not having one and how I actually tried to get one but failed, I said the cat might have smacked his toy behind the couch (he was acting strange for some reason...I just ran with it) and for he to look behind it. She looked over the couch and after a second or two exclaimed “A WII!!!!!”….what a smile on her face.

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    As for the kmart thing I run the electronics department and we're having an event/sale thing in november so we're hoarding all the wii's we get until then. Its been a month since we started this, I have one in my stockroom!
    Wow, why would they do that? Are they coming up with some package deal or something?

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii is a great console, and I hope you two have a blast with it. I recommend Wii Play and Mortal Kombat Armageddon (but only if she has a strong stomach and likes fighting games) for more goodness to tide you over until Smash Bros. comes out.

And yes, the Virtual Console. It beats the hell out of searching for systems and carts on ebay that may or may not work. It also frees up my carts to lend to non-Wii-owning friends.

And now, my "how I got a Wii" story...

I was saving up the cash to get one (had $200 stashed at the time), and had one of my friends from another trading site fly in for a little R&R. It was late, so I was about to bathe and turn in.

After a refreshing shower, I came back to my bedroom, prepared to turn in. There he was, sitting in my desk chair, with a sneaky smirk on his face. I looked at my setup, and saw a Wii connected. I said, "oh, I see you brought your Wii". He replied, "That's not MY Wii..."

I went straight into deer-in-headlights mode, and the next day, made sure to go to the post office and turn in my Paypal for a money order (he doesn't take PP).

So I got a Wii for $200, some apple cinnamon Pop Tarts, and a little Southern Hospitality (tm).

Wii: bringing people together, one friend code at a time.
    Last edited by Sailorneorune; 09-27-2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post

Wow, why would they do that? Are they coming up with some package deal or something?
    No, it sounds like they are saving them for Black Friday.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    You really should read the “OP”…
    I just did and well, the responses were a bit better. Sorry bro, it just seems your beginning posts are dry and the responses you get are flavorful. Good analogy? Maybe not but I knew neurophlitique would make some smart ass remark.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smokehouse, can you post a picture of all the Wii stuff you bought laid out on the floor?

Just kidding dude, no hard feelings.

I myself picked up a Wii in July while visiting my sister's family in Michigan. As we were leaving the foodcourt in the mall, I happened to see an EB. I walked in out of habit, but since I stopped gaming a few months after I got a Gamecube, it was just reflex -- I really had no reason to take a peek. Just for shits and giggles, I asked the clerk if he had any Wii's in stock. "Actually, we just got five -- but they'll be gone within the hour. Want one?"

I ran out and consulted with my wife. Luckily, I had bought her jewelry the day before. She's really cool about buying expensive guy stuff anyway, but a pair of earrings and a necklace totally greased the wheels. So she said, "It's up to you -- what do you think?" I sort of made up a pros and cons list, paused for a second, and then motored back to the store. I hadn't been so excited about a VG purchse since I got an N64 on launch day.

BTW, my wife LOVES Wii Tennis. She also watched me play Zelda TP for 30 of the 60 hours it took me to finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    I just did and well, the responses were a bit better. Sorry bro, it just seems your beginning posts are dry and the responses you get are flavorful. Good analogy? Maybe not but I knew neurophlitique would make some smart ass remark.
    Why is my original post dry? Because I’m not belittling someone?
    Last edited by smokehouse; 09-27-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UniHamachi View Post
    I hadn't been so excited about a VG purchse since I got an N64 on launch day.
    You know, I got the feeling today....I haven't had that in quite some time. Kind of made me feel like a kid again....walking to the rear of the store all nervous about whether or not they had one in stock...then finding out they had one...man was I excited for some reason.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So much for waiting until a system dies to buy one. :P Well, you bought a Wii at a great time I suppose. I'm not a fan of the Wii but with Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming out it's a decent purchase.