Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $25 savings leads to $300 purchase! (Wii)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    So much for waiting until a system dies to buy one. :P Well, you bought a Wii at a great time I suppose. I'm not a fan of the Wii but with Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming out it's a decent purchase.
    I like the Wii sports games (good for parties) and there's also Super Paper Mario (I love the PM series).

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    Why is my original post dry? Because I’m not belittling someone?
    This threads OP wasn't as bad but your previous threads were and attracted some flammers that were quite funny, although disrepectful. They're just pulling your chain though, I don't think anyone is gunning for you.

Congrats on the Wii though. Just as a suggestion, posting another thread with money and dollar signs in your topic won't be the best choice.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    This threads OP wasn't as bad but your previous threads were and attracted some flammers that were quite funny, although disrepectful. They're just pulling your chain though, I don't think anyone is gunning for you.

Congrats on the Wii though. Just as a suggestion, posting another thread with money and dollar signs in your topic won't be the best choice.
    Meh, they just happened to be in the same week…

I did have no plan to buy a Wii this week due to playing my way through Resident Evil 4 but like the OP, this opportunity came up.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could probably sell off your GC at this point. Aside from games that required modem/broadband adapters or the gameboy player, the Wii is 100% compatible with all other games (even most peripherals including the GBA cable and all controllers). Because of its native GC controller and memory card ports, everything works perfectly.

I think that the Wii boots up with the GC OS -- when you start playing a GC game, none of the Wii controllers respond, and the only way to turn off the console is to walk up to it and turn it off. If so, it's not really emulation so much as a dual boot system.

Sorry if I'm talkin' shit with the speculation, but the first part is definitely true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UniHamachi View Post
    You could probably sell off your GC at this point. Aside from games that required modem/broadband adapters or the gameboy player, the Wii is 100% compatible with all other games (even most peripherals including the GBA cable and all controllers). Because of its native GC controller and memory card ports, everything works perfectly.

I think that the Wii boots up with the GC OS -- when you start playing a GC game, none of the Wii controllers respond, and the only way to turn off the console is to walk up to it and turn it off. If so, it's not really emulation so much as a dual boot system.

Sorry if I'm talkin' shit with the speculation, but the first part is definitely true.
    You’re right. I did try it out with Resident Evil and it works fine. I just need to get some controller extension cables through, the Wii is too far from my couch (never bought a Wavebird…like a dumbass…). I will probably keep my hands on the GC simply because I hate selling old systems and I’d probably get crap for it figuring t hat you can currently buy one new for $99 AND the fact that the Wii if 100% backwards compatible.

I do have a GBA player as well and that in itself makes it worth holding onto.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    That's great, but, fuckin Nintendo will get you. You already dropped $300, but is that enough for them? No! Wanna play some VC games? Add another $20 for the classic controller, two if your wife plays! Want some friends over to play? Another $120 for controllers for them. Now you need rechargable battery packs for those controllers, $70. Don't forget the Wii component cable, $35. Yer also gonna need some space for all those VC games, 2GB SD $50. Finally, yer gonna get sick of Paper Mario eventually, add in $50 for another game. Grand Total = $665!

Damn Nintendo!
    Here we go...

1. The OP stated that he has a Gamecube. Gamecube controllers work for all Virtual Console games.

-$40

2. Why would the OP feel like buying 3 more controllers, when it seems like all he needs is one for him and his wife?

-$80

3. You don't need rechargable battery packs, but if you get one, Nyko has a set of two and a charger stand for $30.

-$40

4. Most people aren't going to need to buy a component cable. Don't add that shit in.

-$35

5. Heres where things get tricky. Not only are SD cards pretty cheap, but it would take a few years of getting every VC game to fill up both the Wii's internal memory and a 2GB SD card. I've seen 2GB cards go as cheap as $20, but usually around $30, so I'll list the price as that.

-$20

6. Of course people get tired of playing the same game over and over. I assume you have more than one game? Stop trying to make it seem like Nintendo, or any other company, is some evil monster.

-$0

Total Real Cost = $450

Not bad for buying a new console and fully decking it out. And it's still cheaper than a 360 Elite and a PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

virtual console = friggin cheap TG16 games

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Sorry but I just had to add this. Fry's is still selling the GC for $99. That's insane.

Back to topic, as someone said earlier, it is cheaper to get this console and add ons than a PS3 or 360. I know that by the time I got my accessories, extra controllers and LIVE with my Elite, I was looking at ~$700 total. It's quite expensive and it's OK. I'm a PC gamer, too, and I have a really great computer so I ended up just playing the 360 games available for PC since I can run them in higher resolutions. Now, I'm waiting for Gears on the PC I love all the new consoles honestly.

PS. Donations can be sent to me directly. Thank you for your patronage.

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

neuropolitique is hoist by his own petard!

All I can say, Apollo, is that you had to be there.

Let me add that anyone with any console should get at least an S-Video cable. The composite video is teh suck.

And don't waste your money on the official cables -- I got some 3rd party Wii component cable off of Ebay for $7 shipped. Trust me, there is no difference.
    Last edited by UniHamachi; 09-28-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    That's great, but, fuckin Nintendo will get you. You already dropped $300, but is that enough for them? No! Wanna play some VC games? Add another $20 for the classic controller, two if your wife plays! Want some friends over to play? Another $120 for controllers for them. Now you need rechargable battery packs for those controllers, $70. Don't forget the Wii component cable, $35. Yer also gonna need some space for all those VC games, 2GB SD $50. Finally, yer gonna get sick of Paper Mario eventually, add in $50 for another game. Grand Total = $665!

Damn Nintendo!

Troll post if I have even seen one.