Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Last Blade > Last Blade 2 (1,000) = Truth

Reasons?

1) Character secific backgrounds
    2) Superior musical score

Last Blade 2 is not bad by any means though. I think that the addition of Setsuna and Hibiki are two of the best character additions in any fighting game. The both of them kick ass. The additional "air recovery" element is nice too. The problem lies in the atmosphere. For me, atmosphere in games comes first, then gameplay. Games are all about immersing yourself in a different world. The atmosphere of Last Blade trumps that of Last Blade 2 with flying colors, and most other fighting games for that matter.

Moral of the story? I <3 the original Last Blade...

Oh, and Moriya too; in a totally hetrosexual sort of way.

PS: Anyone else notice that Moriya plays much better in the original Last Blade compared to how he plays in Last Blade 2?
    Last edited by Athunder; 09-29-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I respectfully disagree.

Last Blade 1 definitely has some gorgeous graphics, but having logged literally hundreds of hours in both games, the gameplay in Last Blade 2 is far superior. The developers really went out of their way to properly balance the characters. Just my opinion.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has been a hot button debate among Neo Geo fans for a long time and it's pretty much a split decision. Personally I like Last Blade 1 better for many of the same reasons as the OP. However, I've never really played either game very much in multiplayer so take that for what you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Last Blade games so it's a very hard choice. I'd probably say that 2 has a slight edge on the original, but only just. The graphics in both games are absolutely stunning and probably the best on the Neo, along with Garou.

And then there's the absolutely fabulous NGPC game. I honestly didn't expect such a wonderful game, but LB on the Pocket captures the feeling of both original games excellently. And the graphics are pretty damn good considering the limitations of the hardware.

Slot 1 in my MVS is always occupied by one of the LB games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2d fighting games are not about immersing yourself in another world

When you play street fighter 2, do you do so because you feel like you are on an airforce base fighting a guy with kewl spikey hair with an skinny indian with extendable limbs?

Nah, sorry its about the gameplay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    2d fighting games are not about immersing yourself in another world

When you play street fighter 2, do you do so because you feel like you are on an airforce base fighting a guy with kewl spikey hair with an skinny indian with extendable limbs?

Nah, sorry its about the gameplay
    I am a fan of fighting games, but I am not hardcore in the sense of memorizing dozens of combos and strategies. I like to occasionally turn on the Neo-Geo and go at it for a half hour or so, or maybe a bit longer if some friends are over. So for me, atmosphere is far more important. As long as the gameplay is decent, I am happy.

Street Fighter 2 is not anywhere near as atmospheric as Last Blade is, so I agree with what you said. If I play Street Fighter 2 I am playing it for a taste of nostalgia or some exciting VS. matches, not for the atmosphere. The gameplay in Last Blade is also great, but the reason I always find myself turning it on time and time again is for the wonderful backgrounds, characters, and music. I guess it all depends on the game really, I depend on different series for different fixes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geddon_jt View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Last Blade 1 definitely has some gorgeous graphics, but having logged literally hundreds of hours in both games, the gameplay in Last Blade 2 is far superior. The developers really went out of their way to properly balance the characters. Just my opinion.
    I agree that the gameplay in Last Blade 2 is superior. The only gripe I have with Last Blade 2 in terms of gameplay is that my favorite character, Moriya, seems to have gotten toned down a lot. I play much better with him in the original Last Blade. I usually play as Hibiki when I play Last Blade 2.