Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Play 'N Trade stores?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Play 'N Trade stores?

Anyone been to a Play 'N Trade (http://www.playntrade.com/index.htm) store?

There's one going in close to me, and I'm curious about their classic game stock. Their website says anything from the NES to the present.

Hopefully they're better than GameStop/EBGames. But, that's not too hard. GS/EB has become such a generic crappy store.The only thing worse than GS/EB is Game Crazy, their prices are ridiculous and their stock sucks. Some stores used to have a decent classic game selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to one in Lake Charles, LA earlier in the year. It was a pretty nice (but dimly lit) store, but their classic game selection was just a little glass counter with mostly Genesis sports games and N64 carts. I did however buy a 3DO game and a Neo-Geo Pocket Color cartridge. Too bad the only store in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is on the far opposite side of the city from me.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one by me is great, for games I see 2600 5200 7800 Coleco Intelli NES GEN at $2 a lot of them boxed. Consoles for sale range from VIC-20 to Jaguar to 32X to Coleco-Atari converter. Tons of controllers for most systems.(picked up a Vaus for $3 there) Also some cassette, 3.5 disk games, PS1 imports and HuCard imports.

The people are great and you can hang out there and try out games you might like to buy on one of the many systems hooked up.

A
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I did however buy a 3DO game and a Neo-Geo Pocket Color cartridge.
    How were the prices?

I just found out the store here opens Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by bust3dstr8 View Post
    The one by me is great, for games I see 2600 5200 7800 Coleco Intelli NES GEN at $2 a lot of them boxed. Consoles for sale range from VIC-20 to Jaguar to 32X to Coleco-Atari converter. Tons of controllers for most systems.(picked up a Vaus for $3 there) Also some cassette, 3.5 disk games, PS1 imports and HuCard imports.
    It doesn't get much better than that. Hopefully the one here eventually reaches that level.
    Last edited by Raster; 09-29-2007 at 12:34 PM.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking of buying one! Check out my thread in the MODERN GAMING forum. It may be on the second page by now! Also, check out my design your own video game store thread as well!

PLAY N TRADE is a franchise that you, as a franchisee, can buy into. It is one of the first of its kind and resembles Microplay's business model-although Microplay no longer sells individual franchise stores.

I "bumped" the original thread for you in the MODERN GAMING SECTION, so you can read all the comments posted.
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-29-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never even heard of Play-n-Trade. I was just at the website and there is one in Lexington, Kentucky which is two or three hours away. But since I just moved down here, I have no friends yet and nothing to do ever so I think I might take a drive up that way, I'll get to stop at Taco John's anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Looks like there's one opening about 45 minutes away from me. I will definitely have to get there and check it out after it opens.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They appear to be getting some decent exposure. I talked with the guy starting up the local one, they are waiting on their inventory to come in, and will be opening Monday. They are planning to have some classic inventory in addition to the Yobo.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

one just opened near me, and compared to gamestop it is AWESOME very decent prices (a little high on the psx rares mostly ebayish prices) but its a very refreshing place to shop, I picked up a ton of great stuff there the other day for a good price.

i'm sure every store is a little differnt, but the people at mine are really nice willing to haggle within reason and let you test out hardware before you buy. I got a great package deal on this my first day:

and yes its all working :-)

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, that's what I like. That's why I am strongly leaning towards opening up one of their stores, rather than going it alone...

We'll see what happens over the next year...

Although my sales rep.(meaning the person who sells the franchise stores) at Play N Trade contacts me every week to see what's up...guess that's his job...

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are two near me. I keep regular checks on their stuff and they have a standing buy two get one free on their used games. There old stock changes on a daily basis so ya gotta watch stuff close. Oh, and I find their prices to be fair as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me and my friend will stop by several locations they have in Colorado Springs when we go down for game hunts. We really go down there for Game Exchange, but since there's at least two on the route we take, it's easy enough to stop in, and we tend to find interesting things.

Last time, I got Castlevania III from one of them, and I think that was when my friend got an Asciiware stick for his SNES that *wasn't* the Super Advantage.
    "I've not seen such bravery!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raster View Post
    How were the prices?
    Pretty decent from what I remember. I stopped in the mall's local GameStop and left disappointed, but the Play N Trade had better prices. I do remember that I bought the Neo-Geo P.C. cart and the 3DO game because I thought it was a good price. My only problem with the place was that they had the walls, ceiling, floor and shelves all black, and just a few lights in the place to light the shelves. It was a little odd in comparison to a lot of game stores that brighten the place up so you can see the damage to the game cases before you buy them.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I went to a Play & Trade today and I was VERY disappointed. Prices were only a dollar or two under GameStop prices, some were even closer to eBay prices. Had less than 20 NES games, less than 15 SNES games, less than 20 N64 games. All overpriced, some in shoddy condition.

Store looked like a reject rental video store with fancy TVs. I probably won't visit again.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

what is the prices for 2600, 5200 & 7800 Games there

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

The average price for atari age stuff was decent, common and some uncommon games weren't more then 75 cents, anything else that they had cartwise was no more then 1.99 (only one for that price was 5200 galaxian and 7800 galaga that I saw)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing that each play n trade store will be a little different due to their franchise nature. Of course some franchises (e.g. McDonald's) are pretty much all the same, however, Play N Trade from what I read (in Inc) seems to offer the owner a little direction of their choice (and I'm sure how much sq. footage they have is a big factor too for classic gaming). I'm guessing that one owner may not really care too much about classic games while another may love them and have a huge section. I have yet to go to one, but I can't wait to check it out.

As for the people who have had bad experiences I'd recommend giving it another shot in a little bit. All the stores are new so everything is not going to run smoothly. I'd also put in a comment, seriously, the owner put up a lot of money to get the store open (I want to say for play n trade you have to be liquid in the 6 figures) so if I was one I'd sure want to know any potential problems/downfalls. If they're unresponsive over time, well then okay they suck, but I'd be a little more lenient initially.

Nate
    Last edited by nate1749; 09-30-2007 at 11:49 PM.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    I'm guessing that each play n trade store will be a little different due to their franchise nature. Of course some franchises (e.g. McDonald's) are pretty much all the same, however, Play N Trade from what I read (in Inc) seems to offer the owner a little direction of their choice (and I'm sure how much sq. footage they have is a big factor too for classic gaming). I'm guessing that one owner may not really care too much about classic games while another may love them and have a huge section. I have yet to go to one, but I can't wait to check it out.

As for the people who have had bad experiences I'd recommend giving it another shot in a little bit. All the stores are new so everything is not going to run smoothly. I'd also put in a comment, seriously, the owner put up a lot of money to get the store open (I want to say for play n trade you have to be liquid in the 6 figures) so if I was one I'd sure want to know any potential problems/downfalls. If they're unresponsive over time, well then okay they suck, but I'd be a little more lenient initially.

Nate
    You are correct! You have more "creative freedom" when you operate a Play N Trade store than with most franchises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the info

When did Play N Trade Open Shop...

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Thanks for the info

When did Play N Trade Open Shop...
    I don't know the exact date, but not too long ago. A few years at most. It is not yet an "established" franchise. That is part of the risk involved...

The franchise fee is relatively low, about $25,000.

That fee is just for the right to use the name, etc. They also take a percentage of gross sales and offer full support and training...

however, you are responsible for finding the location! They just approve it.