Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Play 'N Trade stores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Sadly, the Play N' Trade in Arlington, TX is no more. I stopped by this afternoon to find signs on the windows stating they had closed their doors last month. It's a shame, they were always nice to deal with and I would usually find some retro game there. It's just not a good time for Dallas/Fort Worth area game stores it looks like. Maybe it's oversaturation in the market, but then most Play N' Trade stores I've known are out of business too.

How long until the new location up in Plano, TX will shut down, I wonder?

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never been to one. I don't think we have them in Canada.

We do have a couple stores in Calgary called "Video Game Trader" and I think the legal name is "Video Game Trader of Canada" or some such. They have an incredible selection, with some extremely rare stuff to brand new modern games and consoles. It's been around for over 20 years I believe, and I bought my SNES there before they were available in Canada. They have almost every rare game or console you can think of, and the place is loaded with cool swag and trinkets and just anything gamers would love.

The downside? The prices are batshit crazy. The markup is ridiculous and just makes you go home and appreciate the internet that much more. I want to support stores like this but when they're charging an extra 5 to 10 bucks for new games compared to Gamestop and other places, it's hard to justify purchasing there. They'll also charge whacked out prices for classics that while expensive, aren't that expensive. IE; Super Mario RPG was something like $110 and Xenogears black label was around $120. No thanks, eat me. I'll go on eBay and pay half that.

Also, they advertise the ability to obtain any game for you, it would just take them a week or two. I'd imagine years ago this was a hell of a service, but I grew up and realized their trick is they'll scour the internet, buy it, and mark it up 50-70%. They really still operate like it's 1996 and we're all still ignorant to how this whole thing works. They will also straight up lie about the rarity of a game. I've seen games that are slightly hard to find locally, but are 20 bucks online, have stickers saying "$90 - VERY RARE!" on them and I just roll my eyes. It's hard to sympathize with liars.

Also, if anyone is in AB and knows of the Video Game Trader on center st, be warned that the owner is quite unscrupulous and isn't above lying or shady business practice to make a buck. It's a shame, it's such a cool store. The one in Forest Lawn isn't as stocked and looks newer, and has some bleh pricing too, but they don't seem as shady. Even though they're in the ghetto.

If anyone's in Calgary, definitely check out Disc X-change, also in Forest Lawn on 17th. They're on Amazon under DiscX. Insanely good prices there for a local store. The selection varies but I was very pleasantly surprised when I visited and now regularly go back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Sadly, the Play N' Trade in Arlington, TX is no more. I stopped by this afternoon to find signs on the windows stating they had closed their doors last month. It's a shame, they were always nice to deal with and I would usually find some retro game there. It's just not a good time for Dallas/Fort Worth area game stores it looks like. Maybe it's oversaturation in the market, but then most Play N' Trade stores I've known are out of business too.

How long until the new location up in Plano, TX will shut down, I wonder?
    Bummer. I picked up quite a few things there myself and always had pleasant dealings with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The PnT corporate people's strong suit seems to be collecting franchise fees and checks, rather than building a brand and doing anything that requires even marginal effort. None of their stores I've been to have succeeded, even the one that could have.
    Yep, that seems to be the case. Back in 2008, it seemed like they were a few years away from being able to give GameStop some much-needed serious competition. Too bad they can't get their act together.

All of the Portland-area stores (they had at least 6 around here) closed in 2009. Oh well, I scored some cheap NES uncommons and got some Game Boy, SNES, and Dreamcast stuff off of my want list at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 08-10-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^That's just typical of many small time companies who franchise our their name. They attract suckers who sign a contract they probably shouldn't and boom-they've got you. You're at their mercy. Advertising is totally up to the company, not you. You rely on them for stock and it's more often than not a breach of contract to dig up and sell stuff you acquire on your own. I could go on and on.

In the end, they'll do whatever it takes to get a quick buck and when they feel the company going under, they'll position themselves to be acquired, take the cash, and either live happy or rinse and repeat. It's a sad process. Moral of the story: be very weary of what store you choose to franchise out.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a location that's been around since 2008 that I keep worrying is going to go under. However, every time I check, it's still there. I got quite a few valuable games there, including Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Saturn Bomberman, and PSO 1 & 2 Plus. Every used game is on sale now though, so it looks like it might be in a pinch. It'll be a sad day if that happens.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^Capitalism breeds Walmarts. It's like I've always said, nowadays everything in life becomes one of them (a Walmart). It's sad. I hope your store lands on it's feet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jihadist40

The one right off of campus must have just closed. I was down there a month ago and it was there. Went down last weekend and the shop was empty. I never checked it out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

I hit the one in Plano a few months ago, and wasn't all that impressed. At least it was well lit, unlike my previous experience. But they had very little in the way of 'classic' gaming. Unless you consider the N64 'classic'. The owner said it was because he hadn't been open all that long, and he was hoping someone would bring in some good stuff. Since there's Movie Trading Company stores all over the Dallas/Fort Worth area buying classic games too, plus those who just eBay everything, I don't think they'll get much any time soon.
    MTC is pretty crazy about their prices. I mean, business is business and dealing locally with a face to face transaction has its advantages, but $10 for Tetris on the NES. Really!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

I hit the one in Plano a few months ago, and wasn't all that impressed. At least it was well lit, unlike my previous experience. But they had very little in the way of 'classic' gaming. Unless you consider the N64 'classic'. The owner said it was because he hadn't been open all that long, and he was hoping someone would bring in some good stuff. Since there's Movie Trading Company stores all over the Dallas/Fort Worth area buying classic games too, plus those who just eBay everything, I don't think they'll get much any time soon.
    My experience with Movie Trading Company has not been fun. Their prices are a joke, except if I'm looking for something specific (picked up Golgo 13 for $3) but they want $10 for a copy of Tetris. Really?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

Huh, there's apparently one in Dublin, a few miles from me, that I'll have to check out. Problem is that I'm spoiled by the local small chain of stores and the prices, selection, and overall friendliness.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I think the one near me in Milford is going to be closing up soon. Their stock almost never changes, their prices are really no better or worse than the GameStop up the street, and their classic stuff is virtually non-existent. I've grabbed a few good deals from there, but I think most of them were games the owner snagged at a flea market or something similar.

I've noted their trade in prices, which are atrocious. Saw a guy bring in a huge pile of games for 360 and PS3...older titles but no sports. Guy offered him less than $10 for 20+ games. He even told the customer "I have to make money on these", which just reeks of unprofessionalism and maybe even a hint of desperation.

Add in the clueless staff of 2 other people, poor attitudes, and disinterest unless you're buying something, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The stock hasn't really changed at mine lately either. I go in and it's always the same NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 games. There was a recent time where I went in and they had a few new things, but it was mostly common games like Gradius and Earthworm Jim which got snatched up pretty quickly. Their modern selection is slim compared to Gamestop's. I'd like to support the lesser company, but every time I go in, I see almost nothing of interest.

By the way, is it just me, or do PnT stores have the best stock during their first month of business?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The indy store is in Friendswood, it's called Player1 Video Games.

101 W Parkwood Ave STE C
    281-992-GAME

It's not super great, but it's the best place in the Houston metro that I know of.
    I would drive down from Dallas to check it out. Only in December though, Houston is miserably hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[QUOTE=By the way, is it just me, or do PnT stores have the best stock during their first month of business?[/QUOTE]

That's certainly how the one in Arlington, TX was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never even got to go to the one down here before they closed. One day I called them to get their address and a few months later they were closed. This was a few years ago.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    By the way, is it just me, or do PnT stores have the best stock during their first month of business?
    You're exactly right. I was aware of a new location opening up and I know some of the higher staff in the area; I went to the new location in the first week and there was a decent selection of items across different consoles. The manager who was starting that store collected these items herself to populate the retro section. Seems like this NEVER happens again for the lifetime of the store. Even the one that's hanging in there close to me, the manage told me, they rely on customer trade-ins 100% to provide retro stock.

I guess the only reason they make an effort before opening is so that they can attract people and keep them coming back when they're new. It's not appealing if the retro section is EMPTY because you can't have trade-ins until you're already open for business....

Oh, by the way... that store didn't even make it one year I don't think. Closed now. I asked about it... their retro supply was utter rubbish after opening.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

I kept my local PNT going for a couple years. I would buy lots on eBay, usually included zeldas, metroids, contras etc... I would take them into the store and trade them in, and keep what I was after in the lot. I know i broke even, and could have profited if i re-sold the games on eBay, but I wanted the store to last.

Every time I came in they were excited because they could then call customers waiting for a copy of zelda or mario 3. Traded in a bunch of old repaired consoles too, to keep their customers coming in.

Apparently they couldn't buy or sell on eBay, and relied entirely on trade-ins.

When they closed up in 2010 after the economy just wouldn't let up, the owner called me into the store, and sold me a bunch of games like Suikoden II and some other rare RPGs that were priced at the same level of eBay for 75% off for keeping the common classics rolling in for 3 years.

I miss that store a lot, found many gems there.

Its not always about getting a good deal, if you like the store and the people, and enjoy the thrill of finding something local, break even sometimes instead of going to the bay.
    Last edited by FxMercenary; 08-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

That was the shame about the store in Arlington, TX, it had really good people who'd always recognize me. But there's two GameStops in the mall they're in front of, and across the street was a Movie Trading Company that also sells modern games and has a crazy large retro game section.

I was talking to the owner of the FX Game Exchange store over in Plano, TX about all the Play N' Trades dying off, and he told me about how he considered getting a license from them until he read through all the massive amounts of paperwork for it and saw that the company is big on hidden fees. Apparently they nickel and dime licensees to death.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47
    Considering the recently opened store in Plano, TX had damn near nothing in stock when it opened, I hope for their sake that won't go against them (but I secretly know it will).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was driving down Beltline Road in Irving, TX tonight, and I noticed just a slight bit north of Irving Mall on the east side of the street - a glowing Play N' Trade store sign. I walked up and noticed that they aren't open yet, the many people moving around inside are assembling racks and displays and stocking shelves. No sign on the door stating when they were planning on opening. Again, I want to have hope for them, but there's a GameStop inside the mall along with a Console Game Exchange store, two GameStops within a quarter of a mile outside the mall, and a Movie Trading Company. They're in for a rough time, competition wise. GameXchange was a few miles away and they died off less than a year after opening. I really hope they do well, but it looks like that area is already saturated.