Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Play 'N Trade stores?

Anyone been to a Play 'N Trade (http://www.playntrade.com/index.htm) store?

There's one going in close to me, and I'm curious about their classic game stock. Their website says anything from the NES to the present.

Hopefully they're better than GameStop/EBGames. But, that's not too hard. GS/EB has become such a generic crappy store.The only thing worse than GS/EB is Game Crazy, their prices are ridiculous and their stock sucks. Some stores used to have a decent classic game selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to one in Lake Charles, LA earlier in the year. It was a pretty nice (but dimly lit) store, but their classic game selection was just a little glass counter with mostly Genesis sports games and N64 carts. I did however buy a 3DO game and a Neo-Geo Pocket Color cartridge. Too bad the only store in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is on the far opposite side of the city from me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I did however buy a 3DO game and a Neo-Geo Pocket Color cartridge.
    How were the prices?

I just found out the store here opens Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by bust3dstr8 View Post
    The one by me is great, for games I see 2600 5200 7800 Coleco Intelli NES GEN at $2 a lot of them boxed. Consoles for sale range from VIC-20 to Jaguar to 32X to Coleco-Atari converter. Tons of controllers for most systems.(picked up a Vaus for $3 there) Also some cassette, 3.5 disk games, PS1 imports and HuCard imports.
    It doesn't get much better than that. Hopefully the one here eventually reaches that level.
    Last edited by Raster; 09-29-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one by me is great, for games I see 2600 5200 7800 Coleco Intelli NES GEN at $2 a lot of them boxed. Consoles for sale range from VIC-20 to Jaguar to 32X to Coleco-Atari converter. Tons of controllers for most systems.(picked up a Vaus for $3 there) Also some cassette, 3.5 disk games, PS1 imports and HuCard imports.

The people are great and you can hang out there and try out games you might like to buy on one of the many systems hooked up.

A
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking of buying one! Check out my thread in the MODERN GAMING forum. It may be on the second page by now! Also, check out my design your own video game store thread as well!

PLAY N TRADE is a franchise that you, as a franchisee, can buy into. It is one of the first of its kind and resembles Microplay's business model-although Microplay no longer sells individual franchise stores.

I "bumped" the original thread for you in the MODERN GAMING SECTION, so you can read all the comments posted.
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-29-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never even heard of Play-n-Trade. I was just at the website and there is one in Lexington, Kentucky which is two or three hours away. But since I just moved down here, I have no friends yet and nothing to do ever so I think I might take a drive up that way, I'll get to stop at Taco John's anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Looks like there's one opening about 45 minutes away from me. I will definitely have to get there and check it out after it opens.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They appear to be getting some decent exposure. I talked with the guy starting up the local one, they are waiting on their inventory to come in, and will be opening Monday. They are planning to have some classic inventory in addition to the Yobo.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

one just opened near me, and compared to gamestop it is AWESOME very decent prices (a little high on the psx rares mostly ebayish prices) but its a very refreshing place to shop, I picked up a ton of great stuff there the other day for a good price.

i'm sure every store is a little differnt, but the people at mine are really nice willing to haggle within reason and let you test out hardware before you buy. I got a great package deal on this my first day:

and yes its all working :-)

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, that's what I like. That's why I am strongly leaning towards opening up one of their stores, rather than going it alone...

We'll see what happens over the next year...

Although my sales rep.(meaning the person who sells the franchise stores) at Play N Trade contacts me every week to see what's up...guess that's his job...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

I was just a play n trade today. They have a great selection of 2600 games as well as ps1 games. They also have NES games but i have most of em
    Ahh man this guy is back

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recently went to a play n trade up by me the other day, and enjoyed the experience. The staff here was very friendly, albeit a bit ignorant, and while their stuff was a bit more expensive than digital press, they did have many more things I actually wanted, and I did get turtles in time for a good price. Think amazon has it for 22 bucks while I got it for 5, so, overally, it was a good experience.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AWinterFuneral's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AnAutumnPlague

Default True

My ex gf and her family bought in to the franchise and opened their own store. The first dude pretty much summed it up. Her store was a few aisles of recent games and system, with a class case next to the register with a decent junk of older games and systems. It's not a bad store but there are better ones out there, especially stores that specialize only in retro gaming. I could be wrong though, I've only seen one Play 'N Trade, and I'm sure all stores are different. Wouldn't hurt checking em out.
    "I'm "♥♪!?", but it's kind of hard to pronounce so...call me Geno"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went by my local one today and picked up Snowboard Kids for $10 and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (with box, maps, manual, artbook, all discs in mint condition + the strategy guide) for $50. I've had great luck at mine. They actually have a copy of Ogre Battle Limited for $50 right now, but it doesn't have the booklet.
    Last edited by Darko; 07-31-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Anyone who has not been to a Play N Trade should check them out. Gamestop needs the competition to keep them in check. Unlike Gamestop, at Play N Trade the disc based games are usually complete! They do not toss PS2 cases out!

I found a great deal at Play N Trade recently. Would you believe this?

Metroid Trilogy - $39.99

Same price new or used, Gamestop sells used and incomplete copies for $69.99, EBay will cost you around eighty bucks!
    Got my copy for ten bucks new... gotta love target clearance...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    Got my copy for ten bucks new... gotta love target clearance...
    Good for you, but does not help one looking for Metroid Trilogy TODAY. The price I posted is what Play N Trade is currently selling the game at. A point that its good to visit Play N Trade, sometimes you might find a bargain.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Good for you, but does not help one looking for Metroid Trilogy TODAY. The price I posted is what Play N Trade is currently selling the game at. A point that its good to visit Play N Trade, sometimes you might find a bargain.
    Chill man I was just sharing... I wasn't trying to say that p&t didn't have a good price for it...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey all, been a while since I've posted anything, but this thread was interesting to me. There were 2 PnT's on the south side of the Twin Cities for a while, but both lasted at most 2 years before folding. I talked to the manager of one of them a couple of days ago, and evidently that one closed due to the owner basically losing interest in anything to do with the store after the first year of operation.

Regardless, they seem to have a very limited shelf life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by jesusjones View Post
    Hey all, been a while since I've posted anything, but this thread was interesting to me. There were 2 PnT's on the south side of the Twin Cities for a while, but both lasted at most 2 years before folding. I talked to the manager of one of them a couple of days ago, and evidently that one closed due to the owner basically losing interest in anything to do with the store after the first year of operation.

Regardless, they seem to have a very limited shelf life.
    I've only recently heard of p&t but I hear more of people saying they open then close right away then anything else... I actually heard one open by me, I guess I should check um out before they close, haha
    Hardware Collection

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The two P&T stores that were in Colorado Springs closed. The one closed last year, and the other closed about 4-6 months ago. Luckily a new independant store opened and has some nice classic games.