Thread: Play 'N Trade stores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Bump-n-Jump the Play-n-Trade thread.

Got three of these opening in Albuquerque now and of the two I've visited they seem very promising.

The one I visited today was literally only a couple of hours from their official grand opening, but the owner was still nice enough to let me in to browse but couldn't sell me anything yet since he was waiting on one last permit to clear. I told him I was mostly interested in pre-NES stuff, 2600 in particular, and he pulled out a couple boxes of Atari carts that hadn't been put out yet. Found a weird old controller and a few carts I needed, including a Xonox double-ender . Although he couldn't officially sell anything yet, he said he'd be happy to put them on hold for me until tomorrow. He then tipped me off that he was expecting someone to bring him another big pile of 2600 carts this weekend and that I should come back to rifle through that stack as well. Dang...

Very nice to see a franchise store going above and beyond like this, especially for the pre-NES stuff. If they keep this level of service up I'll be happy to make a habit of giving them monies.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 03-26-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I hit the one in Plano a few months ago, and wasn't all that impressed. At least it was well lit, unlike my previous experience. But they had very little in the way of 'classic' gaming. Unless you consider the N64 'classic'. The owner said it was because he hadn't been open all that long, and he was hoping someone would bring in some good stuff. Since there's Movie Trading Company stores all over the Dallas/Fort Worth area buying classic games too, plus those who just eBay everything, I don't think they'll get much any time soon.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the one in vegas is really good too, the owner had several boxes of random parts wires and consoles in the backroom, he let me dig through them and put a few systems together, I picked up a complete working 5200 with 5 working controllers 2 working colecos with most of the hookups plus a ton of common/uncommon games for both for about 50$, I was pretty pleased with the experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Never heard of this store but I see theres one in my city. I'll have to check it out sometime this week.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to the one in Madison, WI. Their focus seems to be a little more on modern stuff, but they did have some older games. I picked up Virtua Cop 2 for $5. It's not a bad shop, but I don't have much reason to go there when I have two other shops with better selections 1 and 2 blocks from my place.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They just opened another one of these stores near me. Found out about it because the owner was talking it up at the other location. "Oh yeah, it's like 4 times bigger than this place. Tons of retro stuff too. We've even got all 4 Dragon Warrior games for the NES there, complete. And those go for $600 on Ebay as a set!". Riiiiiight.

I checked it out yesterday. It was a lot better than the other location but the selection still wasn't that great. Had a bunch of boxed NES games there ($7-$15) but nothing I needed and no Dragon Warriors (go figure). Saw a loose R.O.B. for $80 and even some SegaCD stuff but that's about as retro as it got. The guy working the register sees me looking at all the classic stuff and pulls out a bunch of Saturn games for me to look at. They're all loose with manuals (mostly common titles) but says he can't sell or reserve any to me because they just got them in. Thanks, got any more stuff I can look at that's not for sale?

Not a bad store overall though. I'd definitely shop there over EB/GS but some of the prices on their used current gen stuff were ridiculous ($51 for All-Pro Football 360, WTF?). Also, it seemed like over half of the games on display had photocopied covers on their cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been to one of the local stores about three times. Prices on the older stuff are about similar to what GameCrazy charged before they started doing "classic plastic" sales - you might find something you want for a few bucks, but everything is mostly overpriced.

However, the prices on newer stuff aren't too bad, and the store I went to did have a 3 for $10 on all their $4.99 and under games.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 03-26-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Insert Coin (Level 0) VileRedFalcon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    fixMEaSANDWICH

Two Play-N-Trades stores just opened here in Tampa, FL and both don't have a whole lot to offer at the moment, but I did find a loose Little Samson, Gemfire, and black King Nepturne's Adventure for the NES all for $5 each. Seemed like most of their classic game prices were very reasonable.
    Looking for... NES Maps, Posters, Inserts, etc!

My Feedback @ GameTZ: http://gametz.com/user/VileRedFalcon.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I attempted to visit one here in MN, but was met with a rude suprise. I drove about 30 miles out of my way only to find a message on their door saying "Game Over". It looked like they had benn closed since sometime in September of 07.

I think there is one in another town around here, which I will actually be in tomorrow. Maybe I'll stop in and check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

Play N Trade is pretty nifty. Both psone types and a Genesis. A pretty nice selection and fun tournaments. Plus it seems like they have a goth interior designer. I like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I work at a Play N Trade store here in Texas. The stores differ based on the owner. My store has the worst "floor" ever to grace a store. This floor will tear and the paint will chip away at the slightest impact... it looks terrible.

On the good side, yes, the store takes everything from Atari to Nintendo Wii. Unfortunately, my store is located in the heart a a rich kid community where these teeny boppers never heard of, yet alone own a Turbo Grafx 16 or an Atari Jaguar.

Return policy is crap though, as once you buy it, you're pretty much stuck with it. NO refunds on new merchandise whatsoever.

I would seek one out if you are looking for old games. The oldest my store has in NES... but we have some SNES, Game Gear, and N64.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 03-29-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ShinobiMan, where's your store located? I live in west Houston (Westheimer/Galleria area) and would love to check your store out!

On as side note, a local used dvd store near me is now buying/selling retro stuff. 'Bout damn time!

Insert Coin (Level 0) consolecrusader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    consolecrusader
    PSN
    consolecrusader

I might visit one next week, my GF lives in Eaton Town which is close to Forked River and Jackson...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    ShinobiMan, where's your store located? I live in west Houston (Westheimer/Galleria area) and would love to check your store out!

On as side note, a local used dvd store near me is now buying/selling retro stuff. 'Bout damn time!
    My store is located in Katy, TX off of Fry Road and The Grand Parkway (HW 99). It's in front of the giant HEB near a neighborhood called Seven Lakes.

Yeah man, if you get the time and it's not to far away, definitely stop by. My hours there are pretty random, but there's a chance I might be working.

If you got some crappy doubles of old game you wouldn't mind parting with, it would be nice to spruce up the classic collection too.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got back from one in Middletown DE and they have a pretty good setup. Games ranging from 8-bit Nintendo to Wii, expect for any Sega console. On top of that, they have podiums for each system so that you can test the games on site. Their prices are a bit overwhelming for some games, but they do have a buy 2 get 1 free sale for used games.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Well the new store in Abq I mentioned on the bump gave me three R4 2600 carts - including a Xonox double-ender - for $20. And the owner said he'd make a point of dropping me an email or phone call whenever a good sized chunk of pre-NES goodness comes in to his shop. That's not a bad start at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiman
    ...my store is located in the heart a a rich kid community where these teeny boppers never heard of, yet alone own a Turbo Grafx 16 or an Atari Jaguar.
    QFT. I've asserted for a long time that median neighborhood income is a huge determinant on what's going to be available in local-level shops, thrifts and pawns. And for the pre-NES collectors like myself this is critical. The first Play-N-Trade I visited, for instance, was located on the far west edge of Rio Rancho, a completely "Californicated" subdivision of Albuquerque where the oldest houses were probably built five years ago, which means everybody already had the big garage sales, etc before moving into that neighborhood. Consequently, there's nothing at the Play-n-Trade to be had for the likes of old-schoolers. There's also a large Goodwill nearby which is equally worthless for the same reasons.

This new store, though, is in a neighborhood that's about 30 years old and, Lord willing, rife with empty-nesters who still live in the same house where they raised their teenagers in the 1980's and still have the old Intellivisions and whatnot knocking around in the garage and hope that maybe that new videogame shop next to the Red Lobster might want to take it off their hands. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

For all the NYC dwellers: I just stumbled upon a new Play n Trade in the Union Square area. You'll find it on E 13th street between 3rd and 4th, very accessible via the Q,N,R,W,4,5,6 trains. Very easy, clean layout but they're still pretty sparse in their classic stock. They seem pretty aggressive about getting older stock into the store, offering additional % for any older Nintendo game trade-ins. Looks like they're going to be hosting a fair amount of tournaments as well.

I wish them well, and happy hunting to my fellow city dwellers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I wish them well, and happy hunting to my fellow city dwellers.
    NY's metro area is so lacking... I doubt I'll hit this location just yet but may be of interest in the fall. Sometimes stores get the "I'm going back to school so I'll trade my stuff in" trade ins...
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I was at the one in Cary, NC a couple weeks back. Not too impressive of classic stuff. Prices seemed ok, but a few headscratchers. Best part was the Moe's Southwest Grill next door
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, however one is appearing to open near me so I might go on opening day.