Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Play 'N Trade stores?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is the Play N Trade in Lusby, MD?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of older game stores selling older games near Edgewater and the closest one I know about is Power Gamer in Glen Burnie, which has very odd prices.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    But Castlevania STON is like $40 there..How much is it at other stores??
    Green or black label?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GH version..

Anyword about P n T open up in Vallejo

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish a Play N Trade would open near me, there's not many places around here with anything retro (Triad area of NC). You can find a nauseating number of Gamestop stores around here though.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    GH version..
    Bad price. I saw it for $19.99 at my hometown PnT.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one here near me (Crystal Lake, IL) is great! Great prices on retro stuff and a large selection. I've picked up many gems from there and the staff is great too!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had an interesting experience at one just yesterday. Went there with my brother and two friends and the employee asked us if we collected games as it had been the second time we visited the store that day (there were other game stores to visit so we didn't want to put all our eggs in one basket).

We gave him a modest "yea, kinda" response and he begins telling us about all these rarities he has in a vault out back. Curious I ask him such as, and he tells us he has all 4 Dragon Warriors complete and they're worth 200 together. That figure sounded about right to me (does that sound like a good price to anyone else here?) but I didn't understand how he planned to sell them if they were kept in a secret vault that he acted like he was reluctant to tell us about.

Further intrigued I asked if he had any other rare Nes games in the vault and he replies "in the vault". So to be more clear I said, "besides RPG's?" and taking us for the uninformed and says "those are the most the valuable games on the Nes". I could have riddled off 10-20 games that were more valuable but to what purpose?

Anywho, I don't know if other PlaynTrades do this but at the counter there's a glass case that contains their "rare stuff". The employee tells us everything in here is no cheaper than 20 dollars. In the vault are such rarities as Super Punch Out for 30 and Bubble Bobble for 20 (both loose). My friend tells him he recently purchased SPO at a game store nearby for 15 but had to return it because it was defective. The employee gives the idiotic reply "you should have traded it in here, you only would have lose 2 bucks".

I told my friend he's confusing rarity with value and not to listen to him.

Here's the juicy conclusion. My brother finds a copy of Night Into Dreams for the Saturn marked at 4.99. It was the cheapest saturn game they had in there and having been aware of its popularity he decided to pick it up. The employee tells my brother he just got a steal because someone put the wrong sticker on it. He was reluctant to honor it, but he had to do it. Later we overhear him asking a fellow employee who put the sticker on and when she admitted to it he says "that's a 60 dollar game I just sold him for 5 bucks".

Sweet sweet justice.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The store over by Lake Conroe down here is about the same. They might as well keep some of their glass case games in a vault, though they don't actually, considering the prices they stamp on them. While they will put a $25 sticker on a loose Dragon Warrior and glass case it, they are just as likely to sticker something obscure and valuable for $5 and put it out on the wall-o-crap.

Got a Mega Key 2 for $5 because of this, while they had a Genesis Game Genie in the case for $20. It's best to just act stupid and agree with whatever BS they spout while taking them cheap for whatever you can. If they suspect that you know more than them, they will eventually do some research. Acting stupid and giving them positive reinforcement will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

I have (thankfully) found an indy store I like much better than the remaining PnT stores, but it's a ~2hr drive one-way. So I only get out there once in a while. They actually run their store like they're invested in a place of business *gasp* and not like a mini-clique hangout where they collectively hoard their nerdgold and talk shit all day.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    While they will put a $25 sticker on a loose Dragon Warrior and glass case it, they are just as likely to sticker something obscure and valuable for $5 and put it out on the wall-o-crap.
    This is true. I picked up a copy of Mighty Final Fight for $5 a couple weeks ago from my PnT while they've got a loose copy of Donkey Kong Classics (with half the sticker missing no less) in the glass case for $20.

And NiGHTS is NOT a $60 game, not by a long shot.
    http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=12540
    Last edited by joshnickerson; 07-31-2010 at 02:59 PM.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've been to that Lake Conroe location. I didn't find anything worth buying, other than new Atari 2600 power supplies. So... where is that little indie store you're talking about? I don't go through Houston all that often, but I'd like to know where a good store is next time I go through.

There was a Play N' Trade in Beaumont, TX, but it's apparently closed now. I only managed to visit that location once, and I didn't find much. I did buy a European Mega Drive multicart for a buck. The store was pretty nice, it's a shame it's gone.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AWinterFuneral's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AnAutumnPlague

Default True

My ex gf and her family bought in to the franchise and opened their own store. The first dude pretty much summed it up. Her store was a few aisles of recent games and system, with a class case next to the register with a decent junk of older games and systems. It's not a bad store but there are better ones out there, especially stores that specialize only in retro gaming. I could be wrong though, I've only seen one Play 'N Trade, and I'm sure all stores are different. Wouldn't hurt checking em out.
    "I'm "♥♪!?", but it's kind of hard to pronounce so...call me Geno"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went by my local one today and picked up Snowboard Kids for $10 and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (with box, maps, manual, artbook, all discs in mint condition + the strategy guide) for $50. I've had great luck at mine. They actually have a copy of Ogre Battle Limited for $50 right now, but it doesn't have the booklet.
    Last edited by Darko; 07-31-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've been to that Lake Conroe location. I didn't find anything worth buying, other than new Atari 2600 power supplies. So... where is that little indie store you're talking about? I don't go through Houston all that often, but I'd like to know where a good store is next time I go through.

There was a Play N' Trade in Beaumont, TX, but it's apparently closed now. I only managed to visit that location once, and I didn't find much. I did buy a European Mega Drive multicart for a buck. The store was pretty nice, it's a shame it's gone.
    The indy store is in Friendswood, it's called Player1 Video Games.

101 W Parkwood Ave STE C
    281-992-GAME

It's not super great, but it's the best place in the Houston metro that I know of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The San Mateo Store Closed up on Sunday...

I only have Planet Mix to go when I go to my friends house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mebinici
    PSN
    mebinici

The main corporate office in Cypress, CA is great!

Usually they have blow out sales for new games or old games.

Just the other week, I bought Metroid: Other M for $9.99 NEW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The indy store is in Friendswood, it's called Player1 Video Games.

101 W Parkwood Ave STE C
    281-992-GAME

It's not super great, but it's the best place in the Houston metro that I know of.
    I've been meaning to go down there at some point on my way through town, but the last time I went to south Louisiana I ended up bypassing Houston altogether. I want to try the place out for myself eventually. And while I'm in town, I'll hit the single remaining Wyatt's Cafeteria left in existence, near downtown. But I never have a reason to go to Houston.

The Play N' Trade in Sulphur, LA closed earlier this year, apparently. The one in Lafayette, LA moved locations without updating their address on the company website, which was annoying. And the one up in Monroe, LA got sick and tired of Play N' Trade and paying a fortune for a license and never getting any help from the company when they needed it, so they dropped the name and went independent. Makes sense, since they've already established themselves in the community.

I talked to several game store people recently, and none of them had much good to say about the Play N' Trade company. Apparently they've had problems in the past and the surviving locations were strong enough to stick it out. Who knows how long they'll stay in business.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Play N Trade in my town is AWESOME. Picked up a complete boxed copy of Microsurgeon on the Inty for...2 BUCKS. Seriously! Granville, the guy that runs it, is incredibly nice, and he has the right philosophy about things (customers first, money second, basically). It's WAY across town from me, so I don't get there too often, but it's always a great experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Play N Trade near me used to have some decent Playstation/Saturn era stuff a couple years ago, but at inflated prices. Now they don't even have that. Just some dirty Genesis carts and the usual Gamestop-quality junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PnT corporate people's strong suit seems to be collecting franchise fees and checks, rather than building a brand and doing anything that requires even marginal effort. None of their stores I've been to have succeeded, even the one that could have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The PnT corporate people's strong suit seems to be collecting franchise fees and checks, rather than building a brand and doing anything that requires even marginal effort.
    I've talked to several game store owners who said the same thing. Either store owners who used to be Play N' Trade franchisees, or those who researched it and talked to current branch owners and figured out it wasn't the right company for them.